Skip navigation
Protomlinson
Currently Being Moderated

How can I draw a curved line?

Sep 30, 2011 4:15 PM

Sorry for the inconveniences but I have been searching the Photoshop information and not been able to succeed.

What do I need to do to draw a curve?  I don't have any problems drawing a straight line, that's quite easy, but I have not been able to figure out how to draw curves and get the same results as drawing a straight line.  I tried working with the pen tool and I have been able to draw some curved paths, but as I was told a path is an abstract element, I can't work with it as a stright line.  I´m almost sure that the answer is easy, but I have not been able to figure it out.  Can some one help me please?

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 30, 2011 4:59 PM   in reply to Protomlinson

What do you mean "you can't work with [a path] as a straight line"?

What is your goal?  To make a brush stroke in a curve?

What you're looking for is quite possibly to "Stroke a Path" I think.

CurvedStroke.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2011 8:55 PM   in reply to Protomlinson

With the path active, select the Brush (or any other "painting" tool: Clone Stamp, Eraser, Blur, Smudge, etc.) and press Enter.

I think this would work for the arrowhead: select an arrowhead-shaped brush, and in the Brushes panel, set the Shape Dynamics > Angle to 'Direction', and Other Dynamics > Opacity to 'Fade', with a value of 1. Then stroke the path again, with this brush. Probably want to save it as a preset, if you need to do this a lot.

One thing with the arrowhead - it will be on the first point you specified for the path, so when you create it, start from your "destination", working your way to the "source".

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2011 8:55 PM   in reply to Protomlinson

Howdy.

But, how can I stroke a path?

To create your path, click on the "Create new path" button, second from right at bottom, by the trash can. Select the Pen Tool. Draw your path. Click on the little triangle top right (highlighted). Select Stroke Path.

PATH.JPG

Select an option for how you want to stroke the path. I selected Brush. The Brush properties are applied to the path as a stroke.

PATH 1.JPG

That's it. Hope it helps.

Peace,

Lee

PS: Semaphoric: Didn't know about the shortcut. Thanks for the tip.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2011 8:57 PM   in reply to arc fixer

Anything to save precious seconds

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 1, 2011 6:50 AM   in reply to Protomlinson

I often just select the brush and use the Stroke Path button at the bottom of the PATHS panel myself...

StrokePathWithBrush.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2011 3:36 PM   in reply to Protomlinson

I always wished you could easily curve the Line tool (which is really just a special case of a Shape). A little experimentation shows that you can!

Drag out a line with the parameters you want. With the Pen, add a pair of points on either side of where you want the Line to bend, one of each pair on either leg of the line:

Points-added.jpg

With ythe Direct Selection tool (white arrow), select one pair of added points and its adjacent arrowhead. Control + T to transform the path (the bounding box will extend to the other pair of added points), and drag the pivot crosshair to halfway between the two pairs of added points. Sorry, I couldn't get a good screen shot of this.

Move the cursor outside the bounding box, and rotate. The Line will bend, but will be "pinched":

Bent-bu-Pinched.jpg

Use the Direct Selection tool to drag one or both of the curved parts, so the Line will appear to have a constant thickness. Drag the path itself, NOT the Bezier handles.

Bent-Line-w-Arrows.jpg

Voila, a bent Line with arrowheads.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 1, 2011 4:48 PM   in reply to Semaphoric

Nice!  Great tip, Semaphoric!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2011 5:06 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks.

Or, you could use Illustrator and one of its Art Brushes, and then a different Art Brush, and then go back to the first one when you decide you like it better, and have multiple strokes on each path, which all remain fully editable, and are automatically updated as you edit the path . . .

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2011 7:56 PM   in reply to Protomlinson

Make sure your active layer is a regular layer (one you can paint on), not like an adjustment layer or a fill/shape layer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points