Skip navigation
JR Ian
Currently Being Moderated

On Location with Thunderbolt

Oct 3, 2011 4:08 PM

Tags: #onlocation #firewire #laptop #thunderbolt

My camera does not have a firewire output and I'm having a tough time finding good HDMI to Firewire interface boxes for my 13" MacBook Pro. I notice there are some new devices that output to Thunderbolt. Does/will On Location accept a signal through Thunderbolt as opposed to Firewire?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2011 5:23 PM   in reply to JR Ian

OnLocation uses FireWire only.  And I don't think it's possible to go from HDMI to FireWire, either.  They're two very different protocols.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 10:30 AM   in reply to JR Ian

OK, a device, sure.  I thought you meant an HDMI to FireWire cable.

Both Premiere Pro and OnLocation use FireWire for capture. Neither can use USB.  (Although Premiere Pro can interface with SDI and HDMI through third-party hardware and drivers.  I don't know if OnLocation can as well.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

What are the 3rd party drivers?  I am upgrading cameras and will be loosing my Firewire outputs.  This is a serious issue for OnLocation users.  Any rumors of Adobe adding HDMI as an input for OnLocation?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to Starvision3850

For Premiere, there are third-party cards you can install from Matrox, BlackMagic and AJA which add various capture capabilities like HDMI.

I don't know if OnLocation can also work with that hardware.  But, any camera that doesn't have a FireWire port is likely to be recording solid state, which largely mitigates the need for OnLocation anyway.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points