Skip navigation
davegibson2@gmail.com
Currently Being Moderated

print to sticker problem, eps

Oct 4, 2011 5:33 AM

I am having an Illustrator design printed on a “sticker” to be affixed to a metal plate for outdoor use. The printer requested eps. I requested a test print and the resulting image had artifacts. For instance, there are light shaded boxes around some things (drop shadows incorrect?). Also, some of the stroked fonts had little open circles on the corners, like it was selected. When I print from Illustrator to local paper printers, the image is fine. I guess I need to speak to the printer, but for now I’m going through a third party. The original is 9”x12”, CMYK. I saved as “Illustrator CS4 EPS”, transparent, tiff (8-bit color), and under “transparency” I probably changed the preset to “high resolution” (can’t remember). From what I read in other posts, EPS is a black box for a printer that doesn’t understand postscript and that pdf would be better. Also, I read that maybe I should be using process or spot colors (couldn’t figure out which). Any guidance would be most appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 4, 2011 7:51 AM   in reply to davegibson2@gmail.com

There's little anyone here can help with from the sounds of things.

Wether or not EPS, spot color, or processes colors work well is all up to your particular printer and the method of production. It's pretty rare to have "artifacts" when printing a vector EPS file... However, an EPS can merely be a raster file in an EPS wrapper. (Photoshop saved EPS files too) EPS is simply a container format and can house either vector or raster content, or both.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 8:22 AM   in reply to [scott w]

To add to Scott's response suggest that printer try a pdf instead or an AI file send them all 3.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 8:32 AM   in reply to davegibson2@gmail.com

The .eps file was saved with transparency?  Typically, the .eps is "flattened" upon output.  These artifacts could be RIP errors.  Sounds like a Postscript interpreter problem.  Any Layers?  The font stroke problem sounds like an open path situation...very weird.  It's a relief you asked for a proof before the job was processed and printed.  I'd be interested in hearing what the print vendor has to say.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 9:14 AM   in reply to davegibson2@gmail.com

hmnn: if you are the printers client... don't let him dictate what file you must send (baring profiles, setup and so forth... maybe). You run the risk of a bad end result. You supply him a properly exported PDF and he must worry abot ripping/printing it. (he prob using coral draw to play out...)

G

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 10:14 AM   in reply to davegibson2@gmail.com

you need to create a trasparency preset to flatten and convert (do u know how to do this? very easy). then when u save as EPS choose the transparency preset that you created...

G

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 11:06 AM   in reply to davegibson2@gmail.com

vector     100%
    line art and Text   400 ppi (over kill)
    Gradient and Mesh  300 ppi 
    Convert all strokes to outlines  checked
    All text to Outlines checked

name it GrantsSolution

click ok, and now select it on save as EPS...

G

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points