Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Hangs up in "Save As" dialog

Oct 9, 2011 8:43 AM

Can anybody confirm the following:

In 32-bit Windows XP SP3:

Open a document in Adobe Reader X 10.1.1

Go to menu File->Save As -> PDF... The dialog "Save As" will open up

At this point, any further action - specifying file name and clicking "OK", or selecting another folder in the bar on the left, or clicking "Cancel" - results in hanging for several minutes.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2011 6:28 AM   in reply to Vadim Rapp

Hi,

Can you please let me know the following details:

1. Is the behavior happening with all PDFs or just a specific one.

2. Once, the application hangs for a while, does it return to its normal state or does it crash eventually.

3. Is the Protected Mode turned on your Reader or is it turned off. You can check the same by going to Edit > Preferences > General section. Verify if the checkbox "Enable Protected Mode at startup" is checked or not.

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 3:09 AM   in reply to Vadim Rapp

Thanks for providing the information.

Would it be possible for you to provide me with a crash log for the same, so that I can investigate the issue at my end.

You can follow the below mentioned steps to get the crash dump:

1. Install WinDbg from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

2. Launch WinDbg via the shortcut

3. Click File->Open Executable

4. Select AcroRd32.exe from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" and hit "OK"

5. Remember to press "g" and hit enter when you encounter the first breakpoint and then you will see a text "Debuggeee is running" and Reader will be launched

6. Open whatever file is it that produces the crash in Reader.

7. When you have successfully reproduced the sceanrio causing the crash/freezing of Adobe Reader X, enter the below command in the WinDbg terminal

.dump /ma c:\temp.dmp (Hit enter)

8. This will produce the crash dump at C:\ by the name of temp.dmp

Could you please upload the dump (compress the dump using WinZip or likewise) at some site and provide the link for the same. I will have a look at the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 6:02 AM   in reply to Vadim Rapp

Looking at the dump you had sent across and your post it looks like you had generated the dump without the application actually crashing.

Could you please generate the dump when Reader actually crashes, so that we can have a look at the reason behind the crash.

However, if you mean to say that Reader doesnt crash but hangs and eventually reverts to the normal state, then please let me know which location is displayed as the default location in the Save As dialog.

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2011 3:27 AM   in reply to Vadim Rapp

Hi,

Can you please let me know if any type of encryption software (like PGP) or any Antivirus is installed on your system?

Thanks,

Shakti

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 1:54 AM   in reply to Vadim Rapp

Vadim, which langauge version of Reader do you have installed? english only, or english with another language?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2011 2:58 AM   in reply to Vadim Rapp

Do you also see a hang when you do the following:

1: Launch Reader without a PDf

2: go to file>open and open any local PDf

3:  close Reader

4: repeat steps 1 and 2

Do you notice a hang in the Open dialog box? You may have to try these steps a few times.

Also sdo you onlky see this on windows xp machines, or Vista/Win 7 machines as well? (if available)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2011 7:29 AM   in reply to Vadim Rapp

Hi Vadim, I'm going to repeat shaktik's question, on your XP machine do you have any Disk encryption software isntalled/running? I know of one incompatability (which is PGP software) which only happens on Windows XP, and only when protected mode is on. The symptoms are as you describe ' hangs in open and save as dialog boxes.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 7:42 AM   in reply to Vadim Rapp

Hi Vadim, we've now been able to reproduce this issue as well. This probably will get fixed in the next update 10.1.2 (10th of Jan 2012)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points