Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Public vs Private

Oct 13, 2011 8:14 AM

When I publish my app through the folio creator tools I'm given the option of Public or Private. Can someone explain what exactly they mean? If I set it to Private can I still share it with clients? Do they have to sign into their Content Viewer Apps with my login or can they still use their own? What about Public? Who can see it then?

I presume these decisions have no bearing when I eventually send the app to iTunes, or do they?

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Oct 13, 2011 9:08 AM   in reply to David Cooke

When you publish a folio as Private, the folio is published to the distribution service (Akamai servers rather than acrobat.com servers), and it's available only in the iPad viewer. The private folio appears in the library without the blue stripe. When you publish a folio as Public, you make it available to everyone who has your custom viewer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Oct 13, 2011 11:12 AM   in reply to David Cooke

If you set the folio's status to Free and Public, it becomes immediately available in your custom viewer without going through Apple approval. If you set the folio's status to Retail and Public, that's a different story. You need to use iTunes Connect to set up an in-app purchase for that folio, and run it through the approval process. By the way, this is all explained in the companion guide.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

It would be more usefull if the PRIVATE publishing enable to see the folio in our dev ipa (even if the app is in store) but hidden to the public

Because when you have an app in store we havent other choice to create a test IPA to test our folio in real circunstances/situation

It is too complicated to test our folio for a app already in store

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Feb 16, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to minia92

That's a good suggestion. Besides Private and Public, it would be great to have a third status such as "Public Test." I've discussed this with team members, but you might want to file a feature request: www.adobe.com/go/wish.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks for the link, yes it might be great

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to minia92

Hi Bob,

Is the 3rd status you've suggested is being considered in the next version?

Thanks

Eli

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Oct 17, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Eli.Shklovsky

Not in the short term. Have you tried submitting the in-app purchase without publishing the folio? I've heard of publishers doing that successfully, but I haven't had a chance to test it myself.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points