Skip navigation
Blastbot
Currently Being Moderated

Adjusting the sample rate

Oct 17, 2011 9:54 AM

Tags: #adjust #sample_rate

How do I adjust the default sample rate setting to 44100? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2011 9:57 AM   in reply to Blastbot

Under Preferences > Audio Hardware   you can set the default sample rate used by Audition.  However, if this does not match your physical hardware sample rate, you'll want to click the Settings button to ensure this matches.  Otherwise, Audition will perform a real-time sample rate conversion on playback to ensure compatibility with your device.  (Your data will still remain whatever sample rate you choose, but real-time playback will match your hardware.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 2:12 PM   in reply to Blastbot

Blastbot wrote:

If you are not going to answer this because it is on an older product, that is lame.  I tried to get on a forum for said older product, but that is grayed out from the list of products you have a forum on, which is also lame.

Well, I certainly don't wish to be described as "lame," Blastbot, as it is a personal fear of mine.  The forum for previous versions of Audition is available at http://forums.adobe.com/community/audition/audition_previous but since we're here and my earlier obligations today have wrapped freeing up a few minutes of my time, I'll be happy to walk you through the process for Audition 3.0.

In Audition, click Edit > Audio Hardware Setup...  In the dialog that pops up, you'll see the current hardware sample rate listed and a Control Panel button that will display the device configuration panel for the selected driver.  You should be able to change your sample rate by clicking that button, depending on which audio driver is selected.  The default "Audition Windows Sound" driver, which is generic and best suited for audio devices without their own drivers, defaults to the Windows sample rate.  If you have a good audio device with its own, native ASIO driver, you can usually modify the sample rate within their control panel.

Since you're apparently running Windows, although I'm not certain which version you have, you may need to change the sample rate of your audio device at the Operating System level.  You can usually reach this menu by opening the Windows Control Panel and launching "Sounds and Audio Devices" (on Windows XP) or "Sound" (on Windows Vista and Windows 7.)  Here, you'll need to navigate to your playback device selection, open the device properties, and adjust the default sample rate that you desire.

More detailed information can be found in the Adobe Audition Help documents either from the Help menu item, or the Help button located in the bottom-right corner of the Audio Hardware Setup window.  Additional information about Sample Rates can be found on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_rate

I sincerely hope this helps answer your question and relieves me the burden of lameness, at least as far as this issue extends.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 2:48 PM   in reply to Blastbot

I think we can all agree this forum software has its lame moments.  In the "Overview" tab view at http://forums.adobe.com/community/audition  should be visible the complete list of Audition sub-forums.  If it's not visible, I may need to have someone on the forum team take a look.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Oct 17, 2011 3:21 PM   in reply to _durin_

_durin_ wrote:

I think we can all agree this forum software has its lame moments. 

ROTFLMAO! Moments????

In the "Overview" tab view at http://forums.adobe.com/community/audition  should be visible the complete list of Audition sub-forums.  If it's not visible, I may need to have someone on the forum team take a look.

Durin, it's not a visibility issue. Problem is that for the last few days, the audition_previous forum has been read-only - the option to start new discussions appears to have been switched off (probably inadvertently). Perhaps a quick chat with Todd could get it switched on again?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 7:46 PM   in reply to Blastbot

Blastbot wrote:

I figured it was a lame corporate policy you had to follow.

There's no such corporate policy.  Durin is actually on the product team for Audition, so most of his forum posts are in his spare time as it isn't really his job to give forum tech support.  Most of the time we need to prioritize which posts we respond to such that we have the most amount of time to implement features, as well as fix and test bugs in Audition.  To be fair, your original post was only 4 hours old.  Being able to wait a day or so to get an answer for an old product, should be within the realm of acceptability.   These forums were originally intended for user-to-user conversation and questions (with the intent that perhaps another user might answer your question).  I think we're all quite lucky to have Durin so dedicated the the success of Audition users that he answers _any_ questions, since you don't find this from most of the product teams on this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 3:40 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

I think we can all agree this forum software has its lame moments. 

ROTFLMAO! Moments????

I'm a zen optimist.  What can I say.

I can still post to the forum, so it must be an admin-level thing.  I'll send a note to Todd and see if he knows the scoop.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 9:41 AM   in reply to _durin_

One of the other forum administrators thinks that he fixed the problem. Let me know if you still can't post on the Audition 3 forum.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Oct 18, 2011 11:46 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Well, the reply buttons have come back, so it's probably fine now - thx.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points