Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader X update will not install

Oct 17, 2011 5:01 PM

I got Adobe Reader X by downloading it online from this site I believe. I have no discs or anything. But several times it has wanted to install an update. And when it does I'll get Error 1311 Source File Not found data1.cab

So why is this happening? Is it because I used a free download off the site and don't have the program on actual disc? There is troubleshooting tips that say uninstall it and all but is this worth doing. I don't want to get rid of it then have to buy it or something. But I am certain I got it off this site so not sure why it won't let me update?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2011 12:46 AM   in reply to mws_19841

In my case Reader X does not want to download. Although I chose it, it pops up with a download proposal for 9.4..... Intel Core 2 Duo Mac 10.5.8 here. Maybe the same answer will cater for us both?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 2:51 AM   in reply to mws_19841

Hi,

It looks like you have cleared the cached installer files from your system, causing this issue.

Please try downloading Reader 10.1.1 from: http://get.adobe.com/reader and install the same.

That should solve the issue.

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 2:52 AM   in reply to DiederikvdS

Please let me know from which link are you trying to download Reader 10.1.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 12:52 PM   in reply to Ankit_Jain

How does one delete the installer cache files? I couldn't find them in 10.7.2 I IDID find Cache files in the Library, and deleted them all. Still broken.

My 10.1.1 installer from Adobe runs and immediatly stops about 40% of the way through, and then sits there. The last time I started the install before lunch, and after lunch the installer was in the exact same spot, but said it would take an hour and 45 min to install! I'm running OS 10.7.2 on a 2009 MBP.

Update:

OK, I put Adobe Reader 9.4.6 back in my Applications folder. I open it up, and do "check for updates". It says I am up to date, and that there are no new updates.

The 10.1.1 installer I downloaded DIRECTLY by going to Adobe.com and following the links for my Mac. I even deleted the installer once and then redownloaded it just to make sure I had a good copy. This is the screen I get when I run the installer. It gets to this point in about 30 seconds, always between the "r"and "i" in scripts, and the time remaining just keeps going up. HELP!Screen Shot 2011-10-18 at 4.41.58 PM.png

Message was edited by: nathansmith

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 6:30 AM   in reply to Ankit_Jain

Apparently something changed or it has to do with the fact I upgraded to MacOS 10.6 but I can't reproduce the location from where I tried earlier. I found a location eventually and it worked. Can't remember exactly which route I followed. When I go to downloads directly now (running MacOS10.6) it directs me to Adobe Reader 10.1 allright.

Op 18 okt 2011, om 11:52 heeft Ankit_Jain het volgende geschreven:

Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install

created by Ankit_Jain in Adobe Reader - View the full discussion

Please let me know from which link are you trying to download Reader 10.1.1.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Reader by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 11:20 PM   in reply to mws_19841

Hi,

There seem to be two issues on your system:

1. Regarding the Error 1311: Looks like your installer cache has been cleared somehow. I am not sure as to what might have caused this. But you can try and uninstall the existing installation and get the free Reader from the site I had mentioned above.

2. Regarding the regular notifications: Do you have Adobe Acrobat installed on your system as well? The notification in your taskbar might be related to the same.

Would it be possible for you to paste the contents of the AdobeARM.log file present in User Temp directory (%temp%), so that I can have a look at the same.

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 6:55 AM   in reply to mws_19841

You can uninstall both the programs if need be (even if Acrobat has run out of its trial validity) and then re install Adobe Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 6:58 AM   in reply to mws_19841

I logged on my computer yesterday and adobe 9 would no longer work. So today I went to the adobe website: http://get.adobe.com/reader/ and did the "run" download as insturcted on their site. The download/install started just fine but the intalling bar stops at 96%.

Any info on this would be helpful... Mary

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points