Skip navigation
ineedsupportforadobe
Currently Being Moderated

adobe reader does not open PDF files and opening reader X then opening a file results in closure

Oct 18, 2011 9:31 PM

I recently uninstalled an older version or adobe reader and installed adobe reader  X.  It was working fine for approximately one week.  Today I viewed a document and then after reboot of my computer I am able to open only adobe reader X.  I am no longer able to view any PDF files.  Clicking on a PDF file does not open the document.  Opening Adobe reader X and then file > open and then clicking on the document makes adobe reader x close.  I use windows xp sp3.  I use MSE and ran a full scan and the results had no malware.  I then uninstalled adobe reader x and reinstalled it without a reboot.  Again the same thing happened.  I cannnot open any PDF files.  How do I troubleshoot this failure and get adobe reader x to open my pdf files.  If for some reason adobe reader x no longer functions on my computer what other software can be used to view these files?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2011 3:12 AM   in reply to ineedsupportforadobe

Please uninstall the version of Adobe Reader installed on your system and install a fresh copy from http://get.adobe.com/reader.

Do let me know if the problem persists.

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2011 11:25 PM   in reply to ineedsupportforadobe

Hi,

Did you download the installer from the above location?

Also, could you please let me know, what is the exact behavior when you chose to use File > Open to open a PDF. Does the application crash or just quit?

Furthermore, after installation, please try and repair the installation from within the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and see if the problem still exists.

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points