Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flashvars

Oct 19, 2011 8:00 AM

I need some guidance on using flashvars to load separate URL's.

I have a website that has two links on it, LinkA and LinkB. Both of these links require the user to login, so they both point to my login.swf and login.php.

One the user logs in, how can I let the login SWF know which link to direct the user to?

I know I can use separate SWF's for each link on the main page, but as I add more links, it will become very cumbersome, so I'd like to do it with flashvars.

So in essence, I want to pass either LinkA or LinkB to the login SWF, and then once the user completes the login, redirect them to the appropriate content based on their LinkA or LinkB selection initially.

I hope that makes sense!

Thank so much!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2011 10:15 AM   in reply to willise414

You can add different flashvars to the htmlwrappers, or pass information on the URL to the SWF.  Both will get picked up and be available in the Application.parameters.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 10:36 AM   in reply to willise414

In the index.template.html, there is the line:              var flashvars = {};

Populate that object with something useful like

var flashvars =

And the Application.parameters.link will be “linkA”

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 1:15 PM   in reply to willise414

I think we don’t understand the problem.  It might be that you don’t want to use flashvars at all and just use URL parameters.  In the links you would put in something like:

Go to A
    Go to B

Then if login.html loads login.swf, you would use BrowserManager in your app to parse off the link from the URL.  See the doc examples for BrowserManager.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 10:57 PM   in reply to willise414

I think your first assumption isn’t true.  Hitting www.mydomain.com/index.html?page=google only sets URL params for the html page.  In the html, a SWFObject is created and given flashvars and other parameters and there is no default behavior that copies the URL params from the html to the SWFObject.  You can write JS to do so, or you can change to use BrowserManager.  Then you’d hit www.mydomain.com/index.html#page=google and the BrowserManager code would pick up the page=google and let you handle it in an event.  You would not use Application.parameters.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points