Skip navigation
swhinck
Currently Being Moderated

PSD too large to place?

Oct 19, 2011 8:34 AM

Tags: #illustrator #printing

Hello all,

I have created a background image in Photoshop to place in my Illustrator document as its background. The PSD is about 300MB and every time I try to place it my Illustrator just hangs.

I have tried waiting about 15 minutes and it still does not end up placing.

I am forced to save the background as a JPEG and then place/open the JPEG in Illustrator.

But best practice for the print shop is to place the PSD in the background correct?

So how do you handle it when the background image is so heavy?

Any help appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2011 8:37 AM   in reply to swhinck

Are you linking or embedding the image?

Linking shouldn't normally present any problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 9:01 AM   in reply to swhinck

File > Place tells me nothing. I suspect your files must be embedded for them to be causing trouble.

If the files are linked they show up with a diagonal cross when you select them and you will see them in the Links palette.

If they are embedded you won't get the cross and your Illie file will be much heavier and more unwieldy.

Files can sometimes get accidentally embedded, for example if you have Shift Lock down or if you press Shift while placing or dragging from the Finder.

Do nor embed unless you really need to.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 9:35 AM   in reply to swhinck

Hmmm, strange.

Of course for printing purposes it may be o.k. to use LZW TIFF, especially if you need transparency.

JPG  is usually only used for work in RGB, although if you embed a JPG into a CMYK file the colours will be converted to CMYK. O.k. if you like but JPG is never transparent. Remember too that JPG is lossy so it should be used with discretion and peferably never re-saved.

PNG is (or can be) transparent in RGB but if converted to CMYK by embedding it will also loose its transparency.

And then there's the old EPS format which works well in either RGB or CMYK, but it can never be transparent.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2011 1:14 PM   in reply to swhinck

Were you trying to save the AI file with PDF Compatibility enabled?  If so, then the image is embedded in the PDF portion of the file and can cause problems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points