Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Reader X: slow printing with HP UPD PS (to HP LaserJet P2055d)

Oct 21, 2011 8:25 AM

Tags: #reader_x #hp_universal_printing_ps #hp_upd_ps #hp_laserjet_p2055d #slow_printing

Hi!

I have a problem with printing some PDF files from Adobe Reader X (10.1.0) to HP LaserJet P2055d using the HP Universal Printing PS driver ver. 5.3.1.10527 (the newest available) on MS Windows XP Pro. SP3.

If I try to print the PDF documents created by scanning on a Canon multifunction device the printing is very slow. On the same PC I have also Foxit Reader 5.0.2 which does not have this issue when printing the same documents. In both cases the default print properties are used (single sided printing, shrink to printable area, PS3 etc.).

Here is a sample PDF document of 6 pages: https://acrobat.com/#d=ojv64pOBncq6XxtSiRqSkw

With Foxit Reader that file is printed in 30 seconds. The print spooler shows about 675 kB of spooled data.

With Adobe Reader X the file is printed awfully slowly: it takes about 10 minutes per page! The print spooler shows 1.66 MB of spooled data.

The printer is connected via USB port and I’d say the issue is not hardware related as it has occurred on all PCs I tried to use with this printer model. PCs have 1 GB of RAM while the printers have 64 MB of RAM.

I also tried using the HP Universal Printing PCL 6 driver ver. 5.3.1.10527 with this printer model and it gives normal printing speed for scanned PDF files. So, I use it as a workaround for this issue.

It seems that there is a problem when Adobe Reader X uses the HP Universal Printing PS driver. It is just the opposite from what is mentioned on the following HP support document:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en& cc=us&objectID=c01664406&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3558902

It says that generally PDF files will print faster if a PS driver is used instead of a PCL 5 or PCL 6 driver.

Is this a known issue? Is there an option in the Reader preferences or in the print properties which can fix the problem?

-- rpr.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2011 5:55 AM   in reply to rpremuz

rpr,

Did you find any solution for this issue?  My situation:

• Windows 2003 Server Print Servers
    • Windows XP or Citrix Clients
    • 20-page 4-6MB PDF file that spools up to a 60-100MB print job

Once the job spools on the print server, it absolutely CREEPS as it is sent to the printer.  In this case, the destination printer is over a 7Mb DSL link that never tops 600Kb usage during the print job.

I have tweaked settings left and right to no avail.  Bypassing my print servers does not make a difference.  The destination printer type doesn't make a difference - Ricoh, HP, whatever.

Any help would be appreciated.

Justin

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points