Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Browse folder bug on Mac OS Lion

Oct 26, 2011 2:42 AM

Hi,

Since Mac OS Lion, our Flex plugins make Indesign crashed after any browse folder.

I can post the crash details if you want.

Thanks.

Regards.

Pierre RAFFA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2011 8:57 AM   in reply to Pierre-RAFFA

If you could provide a small example extension that lets us reproduce the problem that would be helpful

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 9:39 AM   in reply to david_a_clark

In case it helps, Louis mentioned another thread on files/folders, not sure if it's related to the issue you're seeing http://forums.adobe.com/message/3990186

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2011 11:53 AM   in reply to Pierre-RAFFA

Thanks for the code snippet. Which version of Lion are you using? Is anyone else seeing this issue?

We will try to reproduce this and if so, investigate where the problem lies.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 12:16 AM   in reply to david_a_clark

Hi David,

I think you already know this, but I had the same problem. Someone at Adobe (maybe even you?) reproduced it for me. I ended up just writing my own file browser--the Silicon Publishing FileBrowser(TM)--to get around it.:-)

I'm just posting here so that Pierre-RAFFA knows that others have run into the same problem.

Thanks,

Ole

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 1:35 AM   in reply to Olav Kvern

Why did you write a whole file browser?

You can just use the ExtendScript File and Folder methods instead...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 9:26 AM   in reply to Harbs.

HI Harbs,

If I can get by without using ExtendScript in a CS Extension, I will!:-)

In addition, Actionscript makes it pretty easy.

Thanks,

Ole

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2011 8:44 AM   in reply to Olav Kvern

I guess I have the opposite approach: If ExtendScript has built-in functionality, why rewrite it in Actionscript?

I actually like the standard ExtendScript File dialogs better than the AIR ones...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to Pierre-RAFFA

First of all, is there any word on this issue?  browseForDirectory in my extension seems to be crashing Illustrator on Lion and not on Snow Leopard.

Second of all, any tips on writing my own file browser?  Or alternatively, any tips on how to get the ExtendScript functionality in my cs extension?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to TheDollarBill

For running jsx, read this: http://cookbooks.adobe.com/post_Communicating_between_JavaScript_and_t he_Creative-17383.html

ExtendScript has File.openDialog(), File.openDlg(), File.saveDialog() and File.saveDlg() Folder.selectDialog() and Folder.saveDlg()

the "Dlg" ones are instance methods which open from the selected location, and the "Dialog" ones use the default location.

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to david_a_clark

Hello David,

the same problem you can see with running the Dommy Dumper Extension Builder project on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3. Just click on the first button on the upper right and after the click InDesign (CS5 or CS 5.5) will crash.

Best,

Luca

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Harbs.

I absolutely quote Harbs on this because, this way, it will look more "InDesign-friendly". The only thing I wasn't able to reproduce by calling a ExtendScript from within actionscript is a progress bar made with ScriptUI. It seems to me that a progress bar needs a targetengine to persist and I could't find a way to have this behaviour. Sorry for the off-topic but is there anyone who knows a possible solution? Why would I prefer this method? A scriptUI progress seems to me more "integrated" in InDesign than a actionscript one...

Ciao,

Luca

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to emerasoft-srl

Any extendscript code run from an extension is run in the service manager persistent engine by default, so that should not be an issue.

What's the code you are using to run your progress bar?

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to Harbs.

Ciao Harbs,

I was preparing a sample project to show you my problem and... boom! It worked as expected :-S

I think I should have to re-insert the progress bar in my main project and see where the problem could really be...

Best,

Luca

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to Pierre-RAFFA

May be its too late but I'm also getting same problem on my lion machine with Indesign 5.5 but  same extension working fine on windows indesign5.5.

is there any solution for this problem other than scripting??

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points