Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Published project takes too long to start

Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a quick question about a simple captivate project. I created a project with only powerpoint slides (no animation) and with some audio. However I takes a very long time to load the course. Much longer than my other "more complicated" captivate projects. While the file size is only 10Mb (half the size of the other projects).

The course should start after downloading 5% of the file (Settings: Start-End, Pre-loading = 5%), but still no results.

Let me know if you are interested in a quick look….Any idea why this take so long?

Link: http://www.nomoneylaundering.com/downloads/elearning/aml_awareness_training/aml_awareness_training.h...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming you published in Flash? If so, maybe select a different version of Flash to publish with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I published the project in Flash version 10. This should be the best version right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Flash player version you publish to is determined by your target audience and what they are using.  It's less of a question about which is the "best version".  Usually, the later versions will have speed improvements etc, but if your users don't have those versions then you would be forcing them to upgrade in order to see content. In some corporate settings the end users may not have permissions to change or update their Flash Player version.  Know your target audience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RodWard,

Thanks for the tip. But what about the issue with my project. If the flash version is not the problem what else can slow down the startup time of a published course? The file size is 10Mb and it should start after downloading 5%, but with my highspeed boardband internet is still takes 4 minutes to start. While other projects with double the file size only takes a few seconds.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell me more about what this project contains.  Are there any videos, SWF animations, Question Pools? If you have voiceover audio, was it added separately slide by slide or to the project and then synced up to slides?

Are there any widgets or other components?

Are there heavier graphics or introductory videos near the beginning of the course module?

Does it load up and play immediately when you run it from your own PC drive, or is there a slight lag when compared to the other projects you mention?

Are all of these other faster projects constructed and structured the same way as this one, or is there something different about the one that is slow?

I get the feeling that there is something more in play here than just the size of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rodward,

It's a powerpoint project. No animations nor videos. Just audio and nothing special. That is why I am so confused about the time it takes to start. I have made several more "complexed" courses with twice the size and without any issues. If you like you can download the project from here and take a look.

I would highly appreciate it..

Link: http://www.nomoneylaundering.com/downloads/elearning/AMLAwarenessv4.cptx.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take a look at your file to see if anything jumps out.

Are your other courses that behave better also based on PowerPoint and created in the same way, or are they created all in Captivate from the start?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the other projects are created from scratch in Captivate and not in PP.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue. Has this ever been resolved? If so, would you mind posting the solution so I can try it as well? Thank you.

Jessika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have audio on some of your slides and the audio plays at the beginning of the timeline on that slide, it doesn't matter what your preload is set at...the file will NOT load until 100% of the project has been buffered since it has audio playing at the start of the slide(s).

On the slides with audio...move the start of the audio on the timeline to .1 (just drag it back a TINY bit) and then resave and republish with the preloader set where you want it. That should help. Once someone gave me that advice, my files started loading MUCH faster. Let me know if you need further instructions and I can take some screen shots.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I moved the audio parts 0.1 on all slides but I didn't see much difference. Any other tips which might help? I don't have this issue when I create a project from scratch, only when I import slides from PP (without audio).

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• What is your preloader % set to?
  • What is the available download bandwidth on the computer where the published project loads slowly?  (Google for websites that will test this and give you an actual download bandwidth value in megabits per second.)
  • How many megabytes is your project?
  • Have the images in the move been optimised to reduce filesize?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Below you will find my settings. Nothing unusual...

• What is your preloader % set to? 5%
  • What is the available download bandwidth on the computer where the published project loads slowly?  (Google for websites that will test this and give you an actual download bandwidth value in megabits per second.) I am using Godaddy and do not have issues with the speed. Other -elearning courses works okay.
  • How many megabytes is your project? 10Mb
  • Have the images in the move been optimised to reduce filesize? Yes

Adobe Captivate.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have any widgets in your course, try removing them and testing whether that speeds things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no widgets or any other animations in my course. Only slides and audio.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue ... I have a 20 meg file but the preloader is set to only 1% and it seems to take forever to load, haven't tried moving the audio a bit from the start yet but will ... does anyone else have any other tips they have come across to speed things up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK tried moving the audio clips from the beginning of the slide timelines and still nothing, what is up with this program? why would you allow users to set a preload limit if it doesn't actually do anything? Does anybody have any other tips to resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@_icarus_  Are you delivering your courses from a web server or a LAN server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

A web server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod did you say there is an update for Captivate 5 that should resolve this? I don't have 5.5 ... I have version 5. Do you know what the actual version number is that is supposed to have the fix? I am running 5.0.3.631.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the same version here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your version of Cp5 is later than mine, and mine doesn't have this issue.

Which particular preloader are you using in your project?  Have you tried just using the default.swf preloader?

Have you tried uploading your content to a totally different web server to see if the same content performs differently?  For example, try SCORM Cloud and see if the same or a different preloader works from there.  Your issue might just be your current web server environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used this preloader in the past with no issues, I will try uploading the content to another server to see if it makes a difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switch to the default pre-loader and the problem seems to be solved. I need to do more checking but it looks promising.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources