Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how are you incorporating Ads within the DPS workflow?

Nov 1, 2011 6:40 AM

Tags: #dps #ads

Looking for advice/best practices on how to incorporate Ads within our DPS workflow.

Couple of questions:

1. How are Ad Agencies sending you the Ads? Are they (Agencies) giving you assets (images/text/url links/video....) in which you then create the Ads for them using the APS tools? Or are the Agencies supplying you with native InDesign files or staic PDF files which you then develop some simple interactivity using the APS tools?

2. Are Agencies giving you both V and H options of their Ads?

3. Are Agencies also giving you the various Ad sizes for both Apple, Android and Blackberry Tablet resolutions?

3. How are you treating files that are Flash based?

4. Do you have a document that states what the Ad Requirements are for Tablets? If so, could you share this?

5. How do the Ad Agencies preview their Ad submissions before tablet editions get pushed to market?

6. Any further insight would be great to read about.

thanks

Tom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to tom d. design

Couple of answers:

1. How are Ad Agencies sending you the Ads? Are they (Agencies) giving you assets (images/text/url links/video....) in which you then create the Ads for them using the APS tools? Or are the Agencies supplying you with native InDesign files or staic PDF files which you then develop some simple interactivity using the APS tools?

that depends on your workflow. one way would be to send you all the assets and an open indesign file with all the acitivity set up. you place them in your folder structure and re-link the assets as well as the settings in the overlay creator (when they ask for a source folder, like webviews or image sequences).

another possible scenario would be that they create a .folio file in their account and upload the ad into a folio with just one article, then share it you. you then see the folio in InDesign's Folio Builder Panel and will be able to copy the article into your magazine. then, you cannot edit the ad.

or, if you are an enterprise adobe DPS customer, you can use the medialets ad server integration system, where you can control what Ad will be displayed, based on geography or time or other data. this ad will then be pulled from their servers upon download.

if your magazine is in both orienations: yes

3. Are Agencies also giving you the various Ad sizes for both Apple, Android and Blackberry Tablet resolutions?

depending on the scenario and how much your involvment is, they need to make the various sizes and give them to you (either via files or via sharing). or you can "adjust" the ads, therefore you need the InDesign files and will upload yourself.

Flash? not possible with DPS. you need to rebuild that in HTML if you want to preserve interactivity. use Adobe Edge or try Flash-to-HTML-Converter like Adobe Wallaby or Google swiffy. They both are okay for simple animations but not usefull for complex ideas. Adobe Edge is great in creating HTML5-animations.

4. Do you have a document that states what the Ad Requirements are for Tablets? If so, could you share this?

There are no specific Ad Requirements. An Ad is treated like a regular article, therefore you can do in your Ad what you can do in your regular article.

5. How do the Ad Agencies preview their Ad submissions before tablet editions get pushed to market?

In Adobe DPS there is a sharing workflow (mentioned above) where you can share your magazine with the client before it is going to be live in the App Store. They can preview it in the Adobe Content Viewer on their iPads (same as you would share your designs with other designers)

The last points suggest you are not familiar with the Adobe DPS workflow. Learn how the things work while building a regular magazine and you will figure out how Ads will come in there real quickly (there is no magic. They are just regular Articles "marked" as Ads)

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 1:28 AM   in reply to tom d. design

Hi.

The olny way to use all the "bells and whistles" DPS supports, is to to your add in ID. Then create package, so, that every asset is included and send it to person who does the final assambling. He will do copy-paste from original ID file.

At least i use that kind of workflow. There are nuanses for naming interactive elements but usually it works.

Ants

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 4:02 PM   in reply to tom d. design

Hi Tom,

We began using DPS a little over a year ago and have been publishing to the iPad since January.  While we've got some experience now, we are definitely still feeling our way and are just about to hire our first person that will be dedicated solely to production of the digital edition.

You can check out our app by searching for MAGIC Magazine in the iTunes Store.

We are a niche publisher and mostly deal with individual companies (creators of products, stores, etc.) when selling ads.  At present, we allow them to use their existing print ad, which is shown in full-screen while in portrait and with the ability to scroll up and down in landscape.  This was an easy fix for us while we focused on the interactivity and bells-and-whistles that DPS brought to our content.

For a few of our more tech-savvy advertisers we have allowed ads to be designed using HTML stacks.  A favorite tool of mine is Tumultco's Hype, which came to market a little before Adobe Edge.  Both allow amazingly simple creation of great-looking HTML5 animations.  These HTML files are then included as stacks in the issue.

We have also worked with advertisers that want to include simply a video, allowing them to put a placeholder in the ad and provide us with the video file alongside their PDF or TIFF ad file.

We have not yet worked with anyone versed in the DPS toolset wishing to provide their own MSOs or other interactivity in an InDesign file, though I'm sure the time will come.

As referenced above, we are currently using advertiser's existing ad files in a scrolling fashion to allow them to easily provide us content for the digital edition.

However, I am presently putting together guidelines to allow our advertisers to provide iPad-sized portrait and landscape images for use in the mag.  This will hopefully come to fruition for our December issue.

At this time we are not publishing to the Blackberry or Android flavors of DPS for the simple reason that we are a small shop that has thrown tremendous resources as resizing our publication for two new platforms (vertical and horizontal on iPad) and can't justify the cost to do the same for Blackberry and Andorid just yet.

The ad guidlines I'm working on now state that HTML5 / Javascript and DPS are the only supported means of supplying animation or interactivity.  However, we've never dealt with Flash files, so this won't be any sort of an adjustment for our advertisers.

Not yet.  Still in draft form.

This is one of my favorite parts of the Adobe Edge, Hype, HTML5 route for us.  When the user creates their own interactivity through supported technologies, there are no previews.

For cases where DPS is involved, we have not yet charged any of our advertisers, and offer the upgrades to them on a "work with us on this..." basis.  They aren't expected a finished product, but so far that is what we've been able to provide.

In our print business, we spell out the requirements and then send them a tear sheet of their ad after the fact.  This has worked well for us, and will likely be similar to how we handle DPS ads.

Sadly, sending out previews of these pubs isn't exactly easy.

Hope that helps!

Steven Sokulski

Digital Director

MAGIC Magazine

http://www.magicmagazine.com/digital

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 3:57 AM   in reply to tom d. design

Just to add to the discussion: the same happened with print ads, when advertisors weren't familiar with tools like DTP, or even the old manual graphical craftsmanship. They simply bring in their wishes and materials, and hope for the best. It's up to you/us to make something good-looking of it. And the same phenomena happened with sizes: for each newspaper or magazine, a different format had to be scaled or derived from the existing design or design principles...

Advertisers (or ad agencies) will eventually learn how to produce and upload their own pages/articles, but for now it's not their cup of tea, yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 12:59 AM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Our customers use htmlstacker for creating html-advertising for the site, and tablet magazines

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to tom d. design

Every client (even from the agencies) has a different level of experience with these ads, so we realize we have to be very flexible in terms of what we receive. The more experienced send InDesign files with interactions set up. The less experienced send us static png or pdf files and we throw in some links for them.

The ad folio can be shared with their own account. In some cases, we bring the iPads in person for approval.

When you're dealing with a separation between edit production and ad production, I recommend having the ad team set up a 'Draft' folio for working on ad materials until they're approved. At which point, they're added to a 'Final' folio. The editorial production (and final issue folio production) department will never grab an unapproved version of an ad by mistake, because they're only ever adding creative from 'Final.'

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to lettergrade

This is a great discussion. Adobe is very interested in helping ad agencies become invested in the DPS tools so they can design their own interactivity and provide a publisher with a completed ad instead of one that requires assembly.

I'm very interested in seeing how all publishers (niche to enterprise) are solving this problem today and appreciate the history of those that have gone through these types of transitions for print workflows in the past.

Please keep the info coming.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to John J Metzger

@John – yes, a very interesting discussion.

I assume that most agencies, that want to deliver some pre-built ad material, are not willing to invest in the Adobe services for DPS, but use the free tools together with inDesign already installed.

That scenario would cry for a more reliable installation process of the DPS plug-ins (that's on the way, I know ;-)) and a more advanced desktop preview for ease of use. Among other things I think that would include a Content Viewer for the desktop that could handle PDF folios.

Maybe you could use a new skin for the desktop Content Viewer to look more "iPadish". Or different skins for different output devices. Peter Villevoye showed some interesting stuff at the DPS cookbook page. Peter, thank you a lot for this:

http://cookbooks.adobe.com/post_InDesign_Template_Files_for_ADPS-19620 .html

A little off-topic here, but nevertheless:

Also think about a program for Univerities for the DPS services. If there is already one, please point me at informations about that. Currently I'm starting a workshop for DPS at an German University for Applied Sciences. We do not have access to a server based solution yet, so we could only do folios for testing, no "real" apps…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Hi Johannes,

I was interested in you comment "or, if you are an enterprise adobe DPS customer, you can use the medialets ad server integration system, where you can control what Ad will be displayed, based on geography or time or other data."

Could you point to further reading on how this or how similar processes works with DPS? I'm looking at a proposal to include advertising within some of our projects. This is a whole new area for me too, so any pointers appreciated.

Many thanks, Hugo

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to HugoKing321

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Thanks Johannes,

I had a look at their site when you mentioned them earlier. I was primarily interested in the ability to deliver dynamic content into the ads. This would seem a great proposition for marketing and it was what I was talking through with some work colleagues the other day although I had no idea how it works with DPS. You mentioned this as Enterprise only, could it be set up and delivered through Professional though, via html?

Tom ,

Probably something to discuss rather than spec out but if a supplier wanted to include dynamic content, stream or live update content via their html I'd want to talk it through. It's probably something that should be considered and clearer for all parties. Allowing ads to open web overlays or allowing clients to open links into safari for transactional or UX reasons have been discussed too. btw here's some links I found of interest recently, more for specs:

http://s.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/telegraphdigitaladformats/Flash/spe cs/TMGAdSpecs_StandardAds.pdf

http://time-planner.com/pdf/time_iPADSpecs_v2_121710.pdf

http://specle.net/uk/guardian-news-media/the-guardian-ipad-edition

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 4:30 PM   in reply to tom d. design

Tom

I assume you updated this when the Retina display came out, but if not, here is what we use [we only offer full page ads at this time]:

1. Res 300dpi

2. Page size 1536x2048px

3. Unlimited [within reason] hyperlinks

4. Video [30 to 90 seconds in length]:

H.264, 1,280 x 720HD

AAC, 48000 Hz, Stereo (L R)

~24fps

5. Audio: MP3 30 to 90 seconds in length

-ski

|
    Mark as:

More Like This