Skip navigation
ScttDrw
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign and Illustrator freeze overnight

Nov 2, 2011 9:00 AM

For the last month or so both InDesign and Illustrator have been freezing on me at some point during the night every night. They'll work fine during the day, but will then be completely unresponsive when I come into the office in the morning. I do a Force Quit on both of them and then relaunch. It isn't effecting my ability to get work done, it's just an annoying way to start the day. Meanwhile Photoshop continues to run fine, without any freezing whatsoever.

This started happening when I was on Snow Leopard and continues now that I'm on Lion. I suspected it might be my Suitcase Fusion 3 font management software, but Extensis were unable to figure it out.

Here are my basics:

Adobe CS 5 (InDesign 7.0.4, Illustrator 15.0.2)

Lion (10.7.2)

Suitcase Fusion 3 (14.1.1)

I did a sample of each through the Activity Monitor.

InDesign: http://pastebin.com/uEv0s0kG

Illustrator: http://pastebin.com/Tnd9bDcP

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- Scott

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 2, 2011 9:52 AM   in reply to ScttDrw

My first question to you is why are you leaving everything running while you are away for the evening?

The launch time is not very long when you aren't force quitting and it is easy to select your most recent doument(s) from the Recent Files list(s)

Are the apps running with open files stored on a networked server?

If so, are there any interruptions in the server overnight, perhaps automated maintenance?

I've noticed that InDesign will freeze if I am working on a file on the network, and the network becomes inaccessible for some reason.

Is your Mac set to run various maintenance routines overnight (default is, I believe, 2 AM)? Have you tried disabling them to see if they are behind the issue?

-mt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 11:59 AM   in reply to ScttDrw

Well, unless you are using a system maintenance tool, such as OnyX (freeware) or Cocktail, you probably haven't set or changed anything.

As I understand it, you can change the parameters from the console, but otherwise it is an automatic system process that runs in the early morning so long as the machine is running and not actively in use.

I doubt that is the cause if you've not tweaked anything yourself.

You mention that this started recently. Was the only system change prior to the issue related to installation of Suitcase? Or was is an upgrade installation (instead of clean installation) of Lion?

If the only change was the Font manager, have you tried shutting Suitcase down for the night while leaving the other apps running?

If it was folloowing an OS upgrade that did not involve a clean installation of everything, then it is possible that is the cause. Many times, others on this site have noted issues following an OS upgrade that is not a clean installation.

-mt

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 2, 2011 3:24 PM   in reply to ScttDrw

Sorry for the delay.

It's quite clear from your sample process data that Suitcase is to blame:

Call graph:

2372 Thread_266186   DispatchQueue_1: com.apple.main-thread  (serial)

+ 2372 start  (in Adobe InDesign CS5) + 54  [0x27a6]

+   2372 main  (in Adobe InDesign CS5) + 187  [0x288b]

+     2372 GetPlugIn  (in AppFramework) + 14282  [0xf1284fa]

+       2372 ???  (in AppFramework)  load address 0xf100000 + 0x2d28  [0xf102d28]

+         2372 GetPlugIn  (in AppFramework) + 246108  [0xf160e8c]

+           2372 GetPlugIn  (in AppFramework) + 242229  [0xf15ff65]

+             2372 SuitcaseIdleTask::RunTask(unsigned long, IdleTimer*)  (in ExtensisFontManagementIDCS5) + 710  [0x1aa3eb16]

+               2372 CoreAgentInterface::ProcessNotifications()  (in ExtensisFontManagementIDCS5) + 232  [0x1aa4ec0c]

That is, out of 2372 measurement samples, in all of them, Suitcase was the process running, and running its "Idle Task."

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to ScttDrw

HOw does one know if there has been a "clean installation" of OS - or how to clean it up?

This freezing or hanging up happens almost everytime I use Illus. or Ind. As long as I'm working on a project it doesn't freeze but if I leave it for even as little as an  hour I'll come to find the beach ball spinning.

I must've sent a million reports of this over the past 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for whatever you can do.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Feb 10, 2013 8:52 PM   in reply to HeatherMB

HeatherMB:

HOw does one know if there has been a "clean installation" of OS - or how to clean it up?

A "clean installation" is when you install the OS over an empty hard drive, and end up with just the OS installed. Not, for instance, if you take a 10.7 Lion system and "upgrade" it to 10.8 Mountain Lion, keeping all your apps and data—that is not a clean installation, it is an upgrade.

How do you clean it? You back up all your data and then boot from the OS installation media and format your drive and run the installer.

This freezing or hanging up happens almost everytime I use Illus. or Ind. As long as I'm working on a project it doesn't freeze but if I leave it for even as little as an  hour I'll come to find the beach ball spinning.

I must've sent a million reports of this over the past 2 or 3 years.

Everyone's problems are different, and we can't assume you have the same situation.

So wait for a hang and please run Activity Monitor and collect:

• "Sample process" output

• View > Send Signal > Abort, and then the crash report.

Please then upload both of these to http://pastebin.com/ and post a link to them here. We'll analyze your hang and tell you what we think is causing it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points