Skip navigation
Kayemgee365
Currently Being Moderated

Using a Fire Wire Switch to Capture 2 Cameras on Same Onlocation Clip

Nov 3, 2011 8:10 PM

Tags: #switch #onlocation #two #fire #wire #cameras

Greetings,

I'm recording (video) a live event using Onlocation CS5 to an iMac with OS Lion.  I have no problem recording a single camera.  However I have two cameras (but just one computer).  Wondering if I could use a Firewire switch to change cameras while recording to Onlocation during the same clip?  I'd like to just switch between cameras connected to a firewire switch while recording to onlocation (without stopping the recording) - then import into Premeire - to add effects (titing, credits, etc).

You see -  I can't to find a way to record the event from two camera simultaneously onto the iMac (without things getting very expensive).  And Onlocation will only record one camera at a time - since it is a live event I can't afford to miss anything while manually unplugging one camera and restarting recording from another angle in Onlocation  - so I figured I could simply switch back and forth between two angles (cameras) using a mechanical Firewire switch . . . you get the picture.  Would this switching idea work while recording - or would this cause Onlocation to "zarf-out"?

I realize I could buy a switch and try it out - but before I take this route - I was wondering if anybody had an opinion or experience on whether this would work or not?

Thank you for you thoughts on this.

Ben

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 5, 2011 12:34 PM   in reply to Kayemgee365

If it were me, I'd just rent another Laptop for the day.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Kayemgee365

I've had good success by running OL and ScenalyzerLive on the same modest laptop ( see my other posts on this for details) to capture video from more than one camera.  While this method doesn't provide the "live" switching you mention, there is a definite advantage in having the uninterrupted video stream recorded en toto from the separate video feeds.  That allows you to have the convenience of doing the line cut in post with all the editing advantages available to you in fine tuning the edit points, modifying the transitions, and all the other goodies available in the NLE.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points