flash works fine on the computer but bad in the server

Nov 5, 2011 1:45 AM

i exported a flash file made in adobe encroe dvd

i got 4 files

1.xml

2. swf

3. index.html

4. sources with .f4v and .png

when the file is placed in my computer it workes perfect when double clicking  index.html

when i copy it to the server and after this write the adress: my website/name of the folder/index.html i do not see the movie as it should.

the film is a moving motion  menu with 9 squares in it. every square is a motion movie.

when i put the mouse on one square - a red frame is created around her indicating the selected movie.

when i click with the mouse it opens the movies.

all this looks fine when the file is in my computer. when the file is in  the server  i see a black background.

when i move the mouse on the background appear to me those red frames around the squares aND CLIKING ON THEM OPES THE BAR

whith the volume forward etc. but without the films or sound.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Peter Celuch
    505 posts
    Nov 17, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 5, 2011 4:38 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

The problem is most likely in relative paths - it's common mistake / problem when deploying flash apps on the server. Can you give us a link to the website? If you don't want to spread it over the internet just yet, you can send me the link in a private message. If you can't do so, I suggest you install Firefox and Firebug plugin for firefox. You can check what urls are called and what urls were not found.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 5, 2011 7:07 PM   in reply to Peter Celuch

Relative paths of and by themselves are not a problem.....I almost ALWAYS use relative pathing for all my Flash, which often include a main .swf, other minor .swf files, .xml files, photo files, and video files..... all stored neatly away in their own folders at whatever levels I want for best overall site organization.

Wrong paths are most likely the problem.

In fact, creating the correct relative path is most like the SOLUTION if you have a Flash file that works on your local machine but not on the server. But relative to what? Relative to the location of the HTML Web page that the .swf is displayed on.... NOT the physical location of the .swf file itself.

Just a quick review on pathing Flash and Flash assets:

Pathing issues

Almost always when it works on the local machine and not the server, it's a pathing problem.
    You can put your Flash related files in whatever folders you want, they do NOT have to be in the root, they do NOT all have to be in the same folder. But if you have a problem and if sticking them all in the root folder works, then you know that the issue was a pathing problem.
    Just remember that paths used in the .swf become relative to the Web page on which the .swf is placed, NOT it’s physical location.  So for example, if your .swf is in the flash/data folder and you use that .swf on a Web page in the root folder, you are in effect, removing that .swf from flash/data and putting it in root. So if the .swf is loading any related files (xml, images, video, etc), the path used inside the .swf to load the .xml file has to be relative to it's new location in root and then back down into flash/data. This is true even though when testing the .swf by itself, it can be inside flash/data and work just fine, since relative to it's location, the path is just fine, they are in the same folder. But if that same path is used when the .swf is placed on a page two folder levels up, the relative path has changed, the old "same folder" path will not work.

In fact if you are placing the .swf on a web page in a different folder than the .swf is stored in, and that .swf calls external assets, then direct clicking and opening of the .swf in it’s folder should NOT work! That’s because the paths to the external assets should be relative to the Web page and not the physical location of the .swf.
    So just be sure that you use addresses relative to the final Web page locations (not physical file locations) and you can put the Flash related files in what ever folders you want.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

If basic pathing principles are followed and you still have problems, look for missing files (swfobject.js for example), file naming case issues (upper/lower case... servers are case sensative), or files in wrong folders after upload. Pathing plus these few items account for nearly all "works locally but not on server" problems.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 7:33 PM   in reply to adninjastrator

I've been looking at this through the Encore forum.

The f4v file is correctly set up in the .xml file, but is not found when I try to play it directly (404 Error).

(I am able to play a file from a test Encore to Flash page I have up.)

http://www. ... [directory with the Encore generated index.html file]/Sources/_PGC_Bpgc_2.f4v

The basic files are there, and you can see the menu highlights, and you can execute a button to play a movie. The flash player controls appear, but no movie.

I suspect a problem with the f4v files being uploaded correctly, but there are many, and many are short - so should not be an issue with upload size.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 8:15 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

If it's a f4v file, I'd suggest that you verify with the Web host, that the correct MIME type has been set for .f4vs. They are still a relatively new file type and the host may not have had to deal with any of them yet on that particular server.

And of course, you must be able to directly download the file before the browser will be able to find it.

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
  • Peter Celuch
    505 posts
    Nov 17, 2005
    Nov 6, 2011 2:22 AM   in reply to adninjastrator

Yes, adninja - I meant wrong relative paths of course. Correct relative paths wouldn't cause any problem, now would they?

Anyways, op sent me link of his project and in deed the f4v file returned 404. He was really really convinced that he copied the file on the server and that it's there. If it's true, the server simply won't serve it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 7:47 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

Well just because the file is on the server, doesn't mean that it's in the right folder. Test the file by doing a direct download:

http:// www.yoursite.com/yoursubfolders/yourf4v.f4v

The file name has a mix of upper/lower case letters. Does that match exactly (case wise) the path/filename used in your Flash?

This direct download must match exactly what your browser is looking for or it will not play in the vid player.

If address is correct, then verify with your host that your server has the correct MIME type for .f4v.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 6, 2011 8:46 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

what's your url and what needs to be done, if anything, to see the problem?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 6, 2011 9:23 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

again, what needs to be done to see the problem?  i can't read hebrew so you'll need to describe what needs to be clicked to see the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 9:26 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

Still not seeing any f4v video file at:

http://www.spanishguitar.co.il/matzeget_hofaot/Sources/_PGC_JApgc_entr yPoint_ECbp_2.f4v

for example (just one of the files listed in the xml)..

So until we can see and do a direct download at that address, the browser will not be able to find and display the video.

Double check that you have that exact file name uploaded to that exact folder.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 6, 2011 9:47 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

my best guess is you're not using url-safe path/file names for your f4v's but i'm not certain that's the issue and it's possible you have a more basic error with your path/file names (like case mismatches).

what's the path/name to one of your f4v's that you think should play at www.spanishguitar.co.il/matzeget_hofaot/index.html?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to kglad

If he can't find it... this is one of the videos files (from the .xml file):

http://www.spanishguitar.co.il/matzeget_hofaot/Sources/_PGC_JApgc_entr yPoint_ECbp_2.f4v

as listed here:

http://www.spanishguitar.co.il/matzeget_hofaot/AuthoredContent.xml

and the file:

<Media src="Sources/_PGC_JApgc_entryPoint_ECbp_2.f4v" type="video" startTime="0" duration="27" />

appending the root path to the xml path gives the link listed above.

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 6, 2011 9:58 AM   in reply to adninjastrator

i assume that space between the r and y of entryPoint is a forum artifact.

if so leonardo, take a screenshot of your directory http://www.spanishguitar.co.il/matzeget_hofaot/Sources/ that displays the directory names and files in Sources.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 6, 2011 10:02 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

what's that supposed to mean?

attach that screenshot.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 6, 2011 10:08 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

is PICJApgc_entryPoint_ECbp_2.f4v supposed to be in that ss?  and where's the directory name?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 6, 2011 10:39 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

download an flv from somewhere, add it to your xml and upload it to your server and retest.  if that plays, then you need to fix your server mime types.  if that doesn't play, you'll probably need someone to fix this for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 3:11 PM   in reply to leonardo33445544

Leonardo, is this a screenshot from your web site? Or your locaL directory?

I can view:

http://www.spanishguitar.co.il/matzeget_hofaot/Sources/_PGC_Bpgc%20Ba_ 2.png

I get a 404 error for:

Regarding various comments in this thread:

Encore constructs these files, so ordinarily paths etc are no issue. And the filenames match the xml.

I can view the png file above using correct or all lower case characters. I do not believe that is the issue.

Would a MIME setting effect getting a 404 versus some other error?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 6, 2011 3:34 PM   in reply to leonardo33445544

let us know when you have an flv setup for testing.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 3:56 PM   in reply to kglad

add it to your xml

Encore creates the xml, and I suspect Leonardo would not know how to do that. (If I'm wrong Leonardo, my apologies!)

If he just uploads any flv to his site, we can test acess to it, right?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 6, 2011 4:01 PM   in reply to leonardo33445544

noone (and, i think, 3 of us have tried) has been able to enter a path/file name to one of your f4v's and see anything other than a 404 error.

i suspect you've given mis-information somewhere in this thread and i suggest you hire someone to fix this for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 4:38 PM   in reply to leonardo33445544

my web server company said that the link works food and i have to check the

code.

What link did they test?

Specifically, they need to confirm that the f4v's are playing.

Tell them that several of us are getting 404 errors on links with the f4v's:

Give them the two links I provided in post 23 as examples of what we can access and what we can't.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 5:31 PM   in reply to leonardo33445544

Tell them:

"Yes, the swf file works, but the f4v files it is to play do not.

Not only do the files not play in the swf, but the flash experts helping me, tell me that they are getting 404 errors when they try to access the files."

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 6:37 PM   in reply to leonardo33445544

Here is a link to direct download an .flv file:

http://www.serenityfarmthemovie.com/videos/meet_greet.flv

Click on the link, download and save the file to your desk top, then upload to the "Sources" folder in your Web site. Once uploaded, all of us should be able to direct download that file at:

http://www.spanishguitar.co.il/matzeget_hofaot/Sources/meet_greet.flv

If we cannot, then your server folder structure is broken or we are not getting the correct URL for your files.

If your Web host does not understand how to set the correct MIME type for a .f4v file... I'd suggest you get a new host... they don't really sound that knowledgeable.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 7:01 PM   in reply to leonardo33445544

Its now 4:30 AM here didn't sleep all night trying to fix this with you guys.

Only 10PM here... Ha, ha!

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Nov 7, 2011 6:23 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

ask him if you have a subfolder named Sources and, if so, what's in it?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to leonardo33445544

Review with them how you are copying files up to the web. I was suspicious of the method you described (in the Encore forum), and relied on your belief that you were seeing the f4v files on the web. Something is not going right. The png files are getting copied, but not the f4vs. Try copying one very small f4v, and make sure you wait till it is uploaded. Then see if you can access that one file (using the type of link I posted above).

kglad, I think the Sources folder is there because I can view the png files that are in there.

I agree with him asking the host the question, though, because they are missing some basics in their troubleshooting with him.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points