Skip navigation
patrick Hagot 21 posts
Nov 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

The project could not be loaded, it may be damaged or contain outdated elements

Nov 5, 2011 9:40 PM

Please I need Urgent help!

I was working on a project when i saved the project then while closing premiere pro the electricity went off with the UPS and the desktop turned off and when i wanted to launch my project back I have this message:

"The project could not be loaded, it may be damaged or contain outdated elements"

Please is there any solution for this problem. My project is very important.

Thank you all.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 5, 2011 11:28 PM   in reply to patrick Hagot

Have you looked for an autosave backup?

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\5.5\Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save\

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 2:28 AM   in reply to patrick Hagot

Try opening a new project with the same settings and then import the old project into that.  If that fails try to import just the sequence that you need to this new project.

For the future, check that Autosave is turned on on the appropriate section of "Preferences" in the Edit menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 5:16 AM   in reply to patrick Hagot

Of the people mentioned in the page for your link, Dennis Redeke and Will Renczes are Adobe employees, Bill Hunt is one of our community's REAL experts, so all of their advice is sound.  I have not heard of XMLwrench, so cannot advise.

The next thing to try is to hold down the SHIFT key while Premiere starts.

After that try holding down CTRL+SHIFT+ALT while starting Premiere. 

After that the next thing to try is to delete your Preferences file, and let Premiere re-create it when you start it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 6:05 AM   in reply to patrick Hagot

The project is probably not going to open--or import--in Premiere Pro once it gets to that point. Do you have After Effects, though? There is a workaround there that can sometimes salvage terribly broken project files like this...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2011 6:22 AM   in reply to patrick Hagot

OK, good. This isn't a guaranteed solution, but it might be your best hope of salvaging at least most of your work:

Create a new After Effects project. Go to File > Import > Adobe Premiere Pro Project. Navigate to and select your Premiere Pro project file that isn't working. If it's salvageable, you'll see a dialog that lets you select all sequences or a specific sequence, and whether you want audio (you probably do). Hit OK, and your project will be recreated as an After Effects project as closely as it can to what the original Pr project was. It's not a perfect translation; for example, titles from Pr don't really come across into AE, so those would have to be rebuilt, and most effects and transitions won't be preserved either.

In any event, if the AE project is populated with footage and sequences (which are actually comps in AE), you're in the best shape you can hope to be in at this point. So, go to File > Export > Adobe Premiere Pro Project, and save out a new Pr project. This should be a clean project file (obviously, with a few omissions due to a less-than-00% translation) that will open in Premiere Pro.

Let us know how it goes!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to patrick Hagot

I just had this exact same issue develop.  Every error message was the same, including the after effects one.  I NEED a way to open this project, as it contains several months of work.

The only aditional information I can give is that my project and the files for it are on an external RAID 5 array that crashed in the middle of working on the PPro file.  That is when it stopped working.  I had just saved and was about to render the work area when PPro locked up, then my RAID drive stopped responding.  I restarted, it ran CHKDSK on the drive and ever since, I cannot access my project.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to suicdekng

If the PRPROJ file has become corrupted with the RAID crash, there might not be any saving it.

First, I would Copy all of my AutoSaves to another folder for later, and then try to Import that into a New Project. If that does not work, In would look at those AutoSaves, and try them from the latest, to the earliest. Remember, AutoSaves are FIFO, and when the number of AutoSaves has been reached, the oldest will be overwritten, but will retain the same name, so AutoSave 3 might be newer, than 5. Change the View to Details, and look at the Date/Time of those files. The resason that I recommended making Copies, is so that none gets overwritten, until you have tested them.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 1:15 AM   in reply to patrick Hagot

I've just had this problem as well, Premiere Pro 6.0.2. Not acceptable Adobe - this wasn't so bad as I've only lost 30 minutes of work and yes I should have had my auto save set to 5 min or something but for a project to just up and not open out of the blue? That's simply not falling into the "professional software" category, and combined with other problems I'm now having with Premiere Pro 6.0.2, I'm considering dropping the software altogether and just moving to Avid.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 11:22 PM   in reply to Wil Renczes

I am not sure what caused the error on my file but at least I had a somewhat recent autosave file. Thank you for suggesting this and good luck to others facing this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to dkaplowitz

I just woke up this morning to the exact same problem. A project I was working on last night will not open this morning. I get the "damaged/outdated elements" dialog box. Thankfully I do have Auto Save turned on and I only lost a small amount of work but this is the second time that a Premiere project has suddenly become unusable.

I do have a couple of factors worth mentioning here:

-I downloaded trial versions of the following software and was using them last night:

-Film Convert Premiere Pro plug in

-Film Convert stand alone

-Technicolor Color Assist stand alone

-I have Magic Bullet Looks 2 plug in installed in full version and was using that too

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Niels

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to Nellyvader

Nellyvader, I have a feeling you may be on to something there with the plug ins - i have a feeling it was a trial version of Magic Bullet Colorista that could have casued the problems. I have no proof however, just a hunch.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 10:21 PM   in reply to dkaplowitz

I  don't have those plug-ins and I've lost two projects, in two weeks.  This is getting pretty lame, now I have a project due in 36 hours and have to start over.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to patrick Hagot

I had the same problem today - I'm using CS6 and I got that warning, I copied my project file on usb stick and re-opened in a different computer using CS5, it then gave me a few warnings about changing the name and saving it to auto save fault, I clicked away and said yes to each one, I re saved it to my desk top then copied that new file to my usb stick then brought it back to my main computer with CS6 and it opened and I was able to finish my work hope this helps  

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to patrick Hagot

I'm having the same problems today each time I reboot my computer.

This is what I noticed.

1. My project contains dynamic links to AFX, so opening AFX to load the linked comps can help in some cases. Sometimes for some strange reason I need to relink some footage.

2. My premiere project is placed in a dropbox folder. Luckily dropbox tracks every single saved version of the file on the internet. Restoring a previous version from dropbox works, while restoring from the premiere auto save folder doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 6:04 PM   in reply to miorta

I have been having this problem routinely for a few months. I am running the newest version of Premiere Pro CS6, and I do use Colorista II for color corrections. I have gotten into a routine where I save multiple copies of every project so ONE will work. It's really annoying, because it often gives me this dialogue box after I've properly saved a project and then go to open it back up later that same day. Any advice to prevent this is greatly appreciated - but I hope I can still use Colorista II for color correction!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to Neptunesalad1

have you been in touch with Red Giant about the problem? I have not - just curious if you have. Although this problem on Adobe's end is totally unacceptable, wondering what Red Giant have to say about it!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 10:26 PM   in reply to dkaplowitz

Hey guys...I think you are on to something. I am using Premiere CS6. I just installed Red Giant Magic Bullet 11 and guess what happened?

A file I was working on 20 minutes ago? corrupt.

Autosaves from yesterday? All but one corrupt.

I don't know which software is causing the issue but wow...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to shuenwang

Yikes. Same problem for me this morning--after three 6 hours days of logging and syncing up footage for someone else's short film. I guess I will start by uninstalling all Magic Bullet software.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to Swinker

Just to follow up .... fortunately, the last version of my autosave seems to be working okay. Just to be safe, given what others have said, I uninstalled Magic Builder Looks Builder, PluralEyes and the PluralEyes extension in the Extension Manager.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to Swinker

I've been using Looks and Colorista for years.  I very much doubt if they're to blame for this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to patrick Hagot

I have had this happen to two projects so far with no explination whatsoever. 

We have pluraleyes for premiere as an extension in premiere... perhaps this is responsible?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to akkcorduroy

This just happenend to me too
    I am not using Looks or Colorista. But i am using pluraleyes. Though not in this particular project. I have a lot of different Zoom audiotracks manualy under the videotracks.

I will try to open in on another computer or open it on my backupsystem wich i saved yesterday.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to Gahkue_NWT

How can you open an CS6 project in CS5? My CS5.5 gives a warning that the projectfile i am trying to open is a newer one than i am working on. And sends me back to the open file window.

I also tried opening the file on another computer. No succes

I also tried to open the file on my back-up system. No succes.

version 0.8 opens on both systems fine. But version 0.9 does not.

I noticed one strange thing though: I went away from my studio at 19:45 and the corrupt file was saved on 20:05. I am absolutely sure i was not in the studio by that time. I did start a render before moving out of the studio.

Could a self save from premiere cause the problem? By this i don't mean the autosave.

edit:

the last autosave was from 19:02 and openend fine! phew i only miss very few cuts...

But it gets me very nervous, i think i will now double save different versions... not only 0.9 but also 0.91

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to RZeemering

How can you open an CS6 project in CS5?

You generally don't.  Project files are forward compatible, not backward.

Could a self save from premiere cause the problem? By this i don't mean the autosave.

Autosave is the only kind of 'self save', and is not likely to 'cause' project corruption.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 9:22 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

You never know, this bug is elusive. It can destroy files and it's hard to pinpoint whether it's just Adobe, part Red Giant, or a little of both.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Autosave is the only kind of 'self save', and is not likely to 'cause' project corruption.

thnx for your reply. My first question came from a remark of Gakhue:

"I'm using CS6 and I got that warning, I copied my project file on usb stick and re-opened in a different computer using CS5, it then gave me a few warnings about changing the name and saving it to auto save fault, I clicked away and said yes to each one"

So i wondered how he did it

The second question came from the fact that my last save was from 17 minutes after i left my studio. And i am not talking about an autosave. It was the main save of the corrupted videofile. And since i did not do it myself, the only option left is that Premiere did it? Or that premiere does not use the internal Mac clock and is on a different time. Which is not the case (just tested).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to RZeemering

I'd like to mention that my auto-saves became corrupt too. You can't be too careful!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 1:31 AM   in reply to RZeemering

My collegue and me were wondering who else is working on a RAID system. He had once had a corrupt file before (but not with a premiere file) which he believed was caused by RAID.

So i am wondering: who uses a RAID system and had a corrupt premiere file?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 3:27 AM   in reply to RZeemering

I can confirm the converse - I use two RAID0 arrays for media and for scratch disk, and have never had a corrupt project file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 6:58 PM   in reply to RZeemering

And i am not talking about an autosave. It was the main save of the corrupted videofile. And since i did not do it myself, the only option left is that Premiere did it?

Like I said, the only 'self save' is the autosave.  That is the only place PP will save a file on it's own.  Any project files outside of that Autosave folder were manually saved by a human being.  If not you, then someone else.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 7:00 PM   in reply to RZeemering

which he believed was caused by RAID.

That is also not likely.  RAIDs are very common in media environments.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 4:22 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

thnx for your answers Jim

I am absolutely positive sure that i was the last one in the studio here. So nobody else could have saved my project. Schermafbeelding 2013-04-06 om 13.14.10.png

I made a screenshot from the corupted file data (not the Autosave file but the regular file with version 0.9). The making of the file was on 15:55 the altering (that is saving i guess) is on 20:09. I left the studio at 19:45. The last time i tried to open the corupted file is a day later on 19:52.
    So i am wondering what alternation (i don't know the proper English word for it...) Premiere did on it's own, and if this can cause a corrupt file?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 4:28 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I know that it won't be very likely. It's not very likely that a premiere file is corrupted either, right?
    We are trying to find out what can cause this corrupted files. Files, since also several people reported Autosave files to be corrupt.
    We are working on a project we have been working on for two years (not fulltime ofcourse ), and we are finalizing it now within a couple of weeks. Every time i start up Premiere and open a project my heart stops when the statusbar is slowing down or even stops. Not very healthy, i can tell you that

I never had this problem before in my 10 year carreer with Premiere. I openened a lot of projects during this time. And it's frustrating that it seems a rather negative lot in the lottery and i have no idea what i can do about it.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points