Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

A way to activate ICC profiles for all applied images

Nov 9, 2011 7:01 AM

Tags: #profile #color #image #indesign #conversion #feature #icc #activate #applied

Hi there!

I think there should be an option in InDesign to activate the ICC profiles for all the applied images.

For those who work with PDF/X-4 and a Workflow-based Color Management, it's very important to take the images' profiles into account.

I tried and tried, but could not find a way to make it all at once in InDesign.

Today I have to change the color settings so the INDD's profiles won't match the Color Settings' one, and then open the INDD choosing "Activate All Profiles" on the "Profile mismatch" window.

It could have an option to choose to activate only the CMYK or RGB profiles and even choose what profiles to activate or not.

Who would agree with me?

Tiago Cheregati

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2011 9:23 AM   in reply to tiagocheregati

I don't quite understand what you are asking for.

When you place an image that is tagged with an embedded ICC profile into InDesign - whether RGB, CMYK, grayscale, or LAB-based - the association of that profile with that image continues. If you export PDF/X-4, to use your example, the image is exported with that profile unless you explicitly request that colors are to be converted and even then, the incoming ICC profiles are honored.

Please explain what you expect to happen.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2011 10:27 AM   in reply to tiagocheregati

OK, now I understand what you are referring to.

The default color settings available with Adobe applications do apply the profiles for non-CMYK content, but for CMYK content use the Preserve Numbers (ignore linked profiles) setting. This is done to avoid the problems 4-3-4 color conversions which tend to yield polluted primary colors. Most color management is associated with conversion or one or another RGB color spaces to a target CMYK color space and not between one CMYK color space and another.

Adobe applications do allow the CMYK profiles to be honored. You simply need to create a color setting that has Preserve Embedded Profiles for CMYK as well as RGB.

However, I would agree that you would have a problem if you receive existing InDesign documents with placed CMYK imagery where the CMYK profiles were purposely ignored, but that you subsequently want or need to honor. Currently, you would need to manually go and fix every one of such placed images.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points