Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)

Nov 9, 2011 8:43 AM

Tags: #premiere #xdcam #ex720

Hi There

I've been given a media drive full of past projects and media by a client, which contains (among other things) .mov files which Quicktime Player Movie Inspector tells me are XDCam EX720p50 35Mb/s VBR 1280x720, 16 bit integer (little-endian), Stereo 48Khz.  The sound plays fine, but the video shows only a red screen with occasional digital-dropout-like square flicking across the screen.

This PC system is newly installed and running OK, and footage of the same type (given the same credentials by Quicktime Player) from a different client plays fine in Premiere

(Quicktime player will open both sets of files and give you the info, but sends you to the extra-codec page)

So my conclusion is there's a problem with the set of files that won't play (rather than the system)

And my question is....

WHAT CAN I DO?  Can anyone give me some advice on how I might get these files working?  They have been edited before in a previous version of Premiere by another editor, without issue so they should work...

All help appreciated

Thanks

jON

(Premiere CS5.5, Win 7 64bit, core i7 2600K at 4.8Ghz, 16Gb RAM, GeFore GTX 570)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2011 8:47 AM   in reply to sn0wctrl

You can:

1. Purchase Calibrated{Q} XD Decode, a QuickTime component for decoding, among other codecs, XDCAM-EX MOVs on a PC. It's not free, but it's basically pay-and-play; once installed, you can import the files and work with them without another thought.
    2. Rewrap the MOVs back into MXF files, which will import natively into Premiere Pro. This is a bit more advanced, and involves some space and time, but is free and has the added benefit of letting Pr working in a 64-bit native process to decode these files.

If you're interested in the latter, grab MediaInfo and run a report on one of the MOVs; copy and paste from Text view here. I'll take it from there...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 12:22 PM   in reply to sn0wctrl

Hi Jon,

OK, this should do it for you: http://www.mediafire.com/file/o13jgho6m4hik0h/xdcamfix.zip

Download that, extract the files to the same folder as your MOVs, and double-click the "xdcamfix.bat" file. Sit back for a few moments while the clips are rewrapped; you'll wind up with MXF files that have dual mono instead of stereo audio (you can remap to stereo after you import into Pr, if you like). This will process all MOVs in the folder, and create MXFs with the same name. Simply import into Premiere Pro, and go to town. Enjoy the cost savings

(If you get any errors, let me know.)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 4:25 AM   in reply to sn0wctrl

OK, put the files from the zip and one of your MOVs into its own folder. Hold down Shift and right-click in the Explorer pane for that folder; select "Open command window here." That will launch a DOS box that is open to the folder you just created.

At the command prompt, type "xdcamfix" (without the quotes) and hit Enter. Some stuff will fly by, and you'll probably get an error message in red text. Let me know what that says.

Do you have a very small test file you could upload somewhere? If you have a small file but no upload location, let me know via PM and I'll get you an FTP access.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 5:49 AM   in reply to sn0wctrl

Der der... I'm a bonehead

OK, right-click on the BAT file and select "Edit"--this will open up the batch file for editing in Notepad. Near the end of the script, you'll see a little text blob that says:

0:2:0:0:2:0

Change it to read:

0:1:1:0:2:0

Save the file, and try the batch again; it should work now.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 6:09 AM   in reply to sn0wctrl

Cool! Glad that worked. If you're interested, the reason that the original batch didn't work was because I had the audio channel mapping wrong; the script was looking for a second audio track, which wasn't there. The source files have a single stereo track, while the MXF output requires mono audio (which I think I mentioned above), so we have to do some rerouting of the input channels in the script. You'll notice that when these MXFs import, Pr reports them as "2 Mono" vs. "Stereo," which is true; just use remapping in Pr if you prefer them as stereo.

Not really sure about why XD Decode didn't work. It should enable decoding of any of the XDCAM flavors. What version of QuickTime Player are you using? The folks at Calibrated are very fast to respond, so you might email their support. I must confess that I don't actually use the product, beyond having tried it out as a demo; when I need to use this kind of footage, I use my hack workaround

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 6:43 AM   in reply to sn0wctrl

QuickTime 7 (for PCs, anyway) is 32-bit; I think QuickTime X which is only available on Macs is 64-bit, but that's a completely different animal. I know that there is some issue with the XD Decode component and Apple HDV files (actually it's an issue in QT7, and not the Calibrated stuff) where you have to use no later than QuickTime 7.6.9, but I don't believe that affects XDCAM files. With XD Decode installed, can you open up one of the files in QuickTime Player? If so, the plug-in is working (at least outside of Pr). I just tried the latest version here, and it seems to be working externally... and it works in Pr CS5.5, as well (with watermark).

You might consider VLC for playback: VideoLAN - VLC. It will playback XDCAM MOVs without requiring the XD Decode plugin

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 9:31 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Colin, you are a hero for this one!  Worked just fine after the edit on the two different 1080 stock footage clips I just bought and could not use on my PC.  Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Colin, I had the same issue and your ffmbc.exe and xdcamfix.bat worked for me! Thank you SO much!  I just spent about 3 hours trying everything I could find with no luck until I found this. Fortunately I didn't have to modify or edit the bat file in any way. I simply extracted to the folder with the MOV files and double clicked on the bat file and waited as the mxf files were created.

YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

I have successfully used a little tool by Convergent Design called File Converter 1.6, XDCAM EX/XDCAM 422, Quicktime MOV to MXF (http://www.convergent-design.com/Products/nanoFlash/Downloads.aspx)

It's a one click conversion tool for those XDCAM EX/XDCAM 422 files that come in a QT container.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

I have a similar problem. A friend sent me the .mov files he recordedin the XDCAM 16x9 1920x1080 . I can't import them into my Win7 Premiere Pro. Codec Missing or unavailable. Lots of people seem to have the same proble id using a PC - particularly when they have been sent the .mov files on a hard drive. The folder

I can play the videos using VLC but not on WindowsMedia or DivX (sound only) or with QuickTime ( won't load - needs new software from Adobe plugins)

If this is a codec problem why can VLC play it?

I have checked out the files with MediaInfo and they are slightly different to the above. Are there ary rules to determing the value of the parameter for the bat file for my mov file. I think this looks like stereo but you will recognise the information you would need. I tried the current bat but that has another audio file map.

General
    Complete name                            : P:\H2012 Videos Walter HD\contest.jury.mov
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Commercial name                          : XDCAM EX 35
    Format profile                           : QuickTime
    Codec ID                                 : qt 
    File size                                : 85.4 MiB
    Duration                                 : 19s 720ms
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 36.3 Mbps
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-11-15 18:58:16
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-11-21 12:46:49
    Writing library                          : Apple QuickTime
    ©TSC                                     : 25
    ©TSZ                                     : 1

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : MPEG Video
    Commercial name                          : XDCAM EX 35
    Format version                           : Version 2
    Format profile                           : Main@High
    Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
    Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
    Codec ID                                 : xdve
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 35.0 Mbps
    Width                                    : 1 888 pixels
    Original width                           : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 062 pixels
    Original height                          : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
    Standard                                 : Component
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.698
    Stream size                              : 81.7 MiB (96%)
    Title                                    : Apple Video Mediensteuerung / Apple Alias-Datensteuerung
    Language                                 : English
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-11-15 19:01:34
    Color primaries                          : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness              : Little
    Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
    Codec ID                                 : sowt
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Stream size                              : 3.61 MiB (4%)
    Title                                    : Apple Ton Mediensteuerung / Apple Alias-Datensteuerung
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-11-15 19:01:33

Menu
    ID                                       : 3
    Title                                    : Zeitmarken-Mediensteuerung / Apple Alias-Datensteuerung
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-11-15 19:01:34
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-11-15 19:01:34

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to rtrobr

They've been converted to movs using Sony's XDCAM utility for Final Cut Pro. VLC can read them because it uses it's own inbuilt decoders, not the system codecs. If you have Final Cut installed they'll play, if you're on a PC you need to use the convergent design convertor, or get the shooter to send you the original media from before they converted it to mov.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to SimonHy

Thanks - I am using a PC - Win 7. The camerman is away, filming , but I will see what I can do. I tried the  convergent design convertor but the mxf file it produced would not import into PPro either - "importer reported a generic error". It opens properly in VLC.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to rtrobr

The other option is the one Colin mentioned above: http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

It installs a codec pack that allows you to work with the files. It's probably the easiest way to go, but it's not free. I think they have a free version you can trial to test if it works though, it just puts a watermark over your shots. Good way to test if it's going to solve your problem before you spend any money on it though.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to SimonHy

I got this to work using the demo version and had some  very useful conversations with them. Excellent support.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to Magnus Allgurén

You are my salvation! Many thanks for ths hint, i've been struggling for few days to solve this problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points