Skip navigation
TheDigitiser
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 new install but can't open Epson scan?

Nov 10, 2011 6:27 AM

Hello

Just got a Dell XPS 64bit with PS CS5 on it. I had CS5 on my previous Dell and when I used PS it opened Epson scan but this new install just opens a basic scan control UI? I'v been to teh Epson site and downloaded Epson scan bundle again but still it doesn't open it. I've tried in 32bit CS5 and no joy there either. Yet PSE 7 opens Epson scan? Woudl anyone know how i cna mke CS5 open Epson scan?

Many thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 10, 2011 7:13 AM   in reply to TheDigitiser

There is no such thing as a 64-bit TWAIN plugin. It's still around in the 32-bit version AFAIK.

But there is absolutely no advantage to scanning from within Photoshop. Do it from the Epson software - it's the same scanner driver in either case - and set it to save as TIFF anywhere you like. Then you can get some work done in the meantime, instead of just staring at a green progress bar.

The "basic UI" you see is probably WIA (Windows Image Acquisition or something). No reason to bother with that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 7:18 AM   in reply to TheDigitiser

These are compatibility issues in the scanner driver software and I hate to say it, neither Canon nor Epson have ever been good at that. Their drivers are just plain atrocious. It only works in your PSE 7, because it is just as old as the scanner driver and may support some old feature that newer versions don't. Short version: buy a new scanner which has guaranteed compatibility with CS5. Everything else won't work.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 8:08 AM   in reply to TheDigitiser

Probably the 64bit OS? Read "art's" reply again - do what he says. You can scan w/ the Epson app in the background and use CS5 at the same time. Twice as productive!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 12:05 PM   in reply to TLL...

Buy a new scanner... at $$$ becuz the jerks at Epson/Canon are too lazy to do the job!

Yeah, right!

Instead, install an earlier OS like XP as a dual boot and scan away.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 12:46 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

That shouldn't be necessary, as long as a 64 bit driver is available from Epson.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 1:56 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

I actually had to do that for my new pc - not b/c of software, no pci slot. Know how much a pcie scsi card costs? A new scanner was cheaper...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 8:03 PM   in reply to twenty_one

That's the whole point.

It ain't. If it was, I'd be using it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 12:24 PM   in reply to twenty_one

How is it that I was able to scan into Photoshop without any problems up until this alleged upgrade to CS5?  After 2 1/2 hours of screwing around with it, I loaded a much older copy of CS and VOILA  I have my image.

While this is not on a par with the CS4(?) "Oh, by the way your existing plug-in library is now worthless" is it a royal PITA.

I mean, I can't scan in Photoshop? Am I asking for the moon, here?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 12:46 PM   in reply to unique-screen-name

What OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 12:52 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

OS X 10.6.8 -- I can use Image Capture (Mac utility) or spring for a new copy of VueScan. Or (what I did) was fall back to Photoshop CS and scan in that, then open the PSD in CS5. Irritated that something I was used to doing is not available any longer in the Pshop app.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 12:56 PM   in reply to unique-screen-name

You're in the Windows forum, so that's a little confusing.

Photoshop CS5 is compatible with all the same plugins and scanner drivers as CS4 was.  You still have to download and install the optional TWAIN plugin (becuase too many TWAIN scanners still cause crashes).

But Photoshop CS5 can also run in 64 bit addressing on MacOS, where Photoshop CS4 could not.

And plugins have to be updated to work in 64 bit addressing -- 64 bit applications cannot access 32 bit plugins or vice-versa.

Photoshop CS5 runnings in 64 bit addressing can only load 64 bit plugins, and 64 bit compatible scanner drivers.

To load older 32 bit plugins and scanner drivers, you have to tell Photoshop to launch in 32 bit addressing mode (Get Info on the application to switch).

And, of course, all of this was spelled out in the README and documentation that came with Photoshop CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 1:01 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Right, right, right... I set Pshop to 32-bit, downloaded the TWAIN driver, et cetera... to no avail. The problem appears to be identical on Mac and PC sides. Grrr. Thanks though.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 1:47 PM   in reply to unique-screen-name

I still don't see the problem. Open the Epson software, make your adjustments, and go.

And you can use Photoshop while the scan progresses.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 2:03 PM   in reply to twenty_one

What I was used to doing was being able to use the "Import" menu to scan inside of Photoshop.  Ah, me, changes, changes, changes...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2011 2:21 PM   in reply to unique-screen-name

unique-screen-name wrote:

The problem appears to be identical on Mac and PC sides. Grrr. Thanks though.

What problem?

PC people are able to scan through the optional Twain_32.8ba plug-in - which a user MUST download and install separately from the Photoshop installation. 

You should be able to do that too, if you put the right things in the right places.  Chris has said as much, above.  But others are taking things one step further and advising against it, since using TWAIN from within Photoshop can result in problems.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points