I installed today the FlashPlugin update for Ubuntu 11.10 (32 bit version). After the update all FaceBook games stoped working in Firefox 7.0.1. They still work with Chrome (version 15.0.874.120).
AMD Semprom 140
3.7 GB of RAM
Graphics: GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot
Firefox 7.0.1 (Mozila Firefox for Ubuntu - Canonical - 1.0)
Due to the lack of official info both from Adobe and from Mozilla, I did some research on this and here's what I found out as a solution:
- I navigated to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and the reported version was 10.1.99.0
- I navigated to about:plugins and the listed flashplayer plugin was Gnash and not Adobe Flash plugin
- In Firefox I uninstalled the flash player plugin
- In the Synaptic Package Manager, I uninstalled Gnash and Gnash Plugin
- In a terminal window I issued <bash>$ sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean
- In the Synaptic Package Manager I unistalled the adobe-flashplayer plugin and, then, re-installed it
- Back in Firefox I navigated to about:plugins to verify that it listed the Adobe Flash Plugin
- Navigated again to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to make sure version 18.104.22.168
After that all flash sites (not only FB games were affected) came back to normal operation.
Hope this helps someone else
I am having the same problem with internet explorer 7 , Im using windows XP Cant play farmville through facebook and cant play farmville on www.farmville.com either. HELP Thousands are having this problem. Why cant anyone fix it? Just give us a button to push, all this stuff is confusing.
You're welcome, @kfrancist. I'm glad I could help.
I have no idea why it happened.
I have two FB profiles (one for gaming and another one for social sharing). I usually have two browsers opened all the time - FF for gaming and Chrome for sharing. I noticed the issue for the first time when still using Ubuntu 11.04, after an adobe update. At that time I thought it was some kind of isue with the plugin itself, so I reversed the use of the diferent browsers while waiting for a solution in a future update. Fortunately, it solved itself with the upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10, but it happened again and I decided to look for a faster solution.
Being a member of a number of open source communities, I'm used to sharing this kind of information. That's why I dicided to post it here.