Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Invalid URL for Web Content Overlay, ERROR!!!!!!

Nov 12, 2011 10:49 PM

Tags: #web #for #content #url #overlay #invalid

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this error, I was working on my indesign file and was testing it out locally, then I went on to upload my file and I got prompt to install a new version of the Folio panel which I did, now every time I try to upload my file I get this "ERROR: Invalid URL for Web Content Overlay", I've searched around and have not come up with an answer. Not sure if its a bug on the new update or what. I tried some troubleshooting which this is what i did. I copied my first page of my document onto a different file and tried to upload one page and then i got the error but then I deleted the images and just left one text box and it uploaded my file without any issues, strange huh. Any ideas????

 

Screen shot 2011-11-12 at 10.24.46 PM.png

Branched to a new discussion.
 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2011 5:50 AM   in reply to Automator21

    Do any of your web overlays point to a URL that redirects to another? If so, you need to use the destination URL.

     

     

     

    Bob

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2011 5:54 AM   in reply to Automator21

    This might be a strange bug that occurs here and there ... what is the URL you are pointing to?

     

    AFAIK the bundler/content generator/folio builder is not aware of the content of the URL at the moment of upload, Bob.

     

    This more sounds like a malformed URL.

     

    —Johannes

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2011 5:59 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

    Could be…I’m working by email and not checking for screenshots and other visual references.

     

     

     

    I do believe the URL has to have the http:// in it and I’ve seen problems when folks leave that out.

     

     

     

    For local HTML content make sure there are no spaces in file names.

     

     

     

    Bob

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2011 9:10 AM   in reply to Automator21

    Object states? Did you name the states or the MSO? If so, stick to alphanumeric characters only. Avoid characters like ampersands.

     

     

     

    Bob

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2011 9:45 AM   in reply to Automator21

    I had this problem several versions ago. Some other people reported it as well. In my case, recreating (not copying from other file!) the problem page in InDesign file helped.

     

    Tomek

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2011 2:22 PM   in reply to Automator21

    I think it's not a straightforward bug.

    It might be some obscure (hidden) absolute path info from the source file, messing up things in exported destination file.

     

    Good you're up and rolling again!

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2011 12:21 AM   in reply to Automator21

    I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, I've posted about this before.

    The problem (in may case) seems that if you create a box and then create a webview of it and add a URL, but then subsequently

    remove the url and leave it blank, then perhaps use it for another image that isn't a web view, then the system still thinks that that the image box is still a webview and generates an error.

     

    So the moral here is, double check that any image boxes that you may have checked as webview, are being used as such, and have a valid url, any that are not being used, and have blank url fields are still "live" and throw up errors.

     

    cheers

    Alistair

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2011 5:46 AM   in reply to mobly

    That’s a really good tip.

     

     

     

    Simply deleting the URL from the field doesn’t change the fact that you have it set as a web content overlay.

     

     

     

    Bob

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Tomek Kuczborski

    I was having the same problem with both hyperlinks and buttons in one particular file -- "Invalid URL for Web Content Overlay." It seems to only be a problem in files where I had a link or button previously, and then deleted the object. When I create a new object and create a link or button, it's as though the old link is still lingering somewhere in the file! However, none of the old links is listed in the hyperlinks panel before I create a new one.

     

    This occurred while I was teaching a DPS class, using the Adobe courseware (sight unseen by any proofreader, I believe). In one of the exercise files, the steps for the student to create hyperlinks and buttons had already been done, so I deleted the hyperlinks. (I think I deleted the text frames that contained them, but I'm not sure.) I never had a problem with it UNTIL I downloaded the Overlay Creator/Folio Builder dated June 19 (v21, I think).


    In the same file, I also had problems with a NAVTO link, . I don't think there were any NAVTO links in any earlier version of the file, at least none that I ever created or deleted.

     

    I've coded HTML since the days when the only available tool was Notepad, so I'm sure that I used correct URLs (and none redirected). Even the URLs in the deleted objects were correct; I only deleted them so the exercise could be done again.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points