Skip navigation
whartan
Currently Being Moderated

Difficulties accessing local photos on Android

Apr 13, 2012 2:32 AM

Tags: #photoshop_touch #access_photos #asus_transformer

(Issue has affected users on Asus Transformer and Acer 500 tablets)

I am having problem accessing local photos: None of the photo available in the built in storage and SD card show up.

Is there a setting to set a default photo folders so be displayed? Or anybody else having the same device has the same problem?

I notice another issue also when uninstalling the apps, google automatically cancel the order and refund? and I am not able to repurchase and reinstall.

Any one who bought directly from Adobe, are you having the same issue?

My device is asus transformer TF101

Android Version 3.2.1

Build number: HTK75.US_epad-8.6.5.19-20111107

Thanks

Message was edited by: ibarrien

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to whartan

Hi whartan,

Try putting your pictures in the native Pictures folder for your device. With my Android device connected to my PC I saw a folder labelled Pictures on the device. After copying images there, they were available under the PS Touch in the Local Photos.

You shouldn't need to go through the refund process just to reinstall PS Touch. To reinstall you should just need to launch the Android Marketplace app and then go to the "My apps" section, in there should be a list all of your purchased apps and allow you install any you own but are not currently installed.

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2011 8:34 AM   in reply to David__B

I also have the same problem using my Asus Transformer.  BUT THIS SOLUTION DOES NOT WORK.  I have photos in the "Pictures" folder and the app does not pick up on them.  I have no way to directly access any photos on my tablet.  I hope a fix is coming.  The program looks great!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2011 9:46 AM   in reply to whartan

I confirmed that PS Touch was able to import photos from a Asus Transformer TF101.

Some other things you might check, open the native Gallery app on the device, on mine it had three folders Camera, Pictures, and ScreenCapture. The photos that I transferred to the device via USB were also viewable here in the Pictures folder.

Additional questions to help us better understand:

- Are your pictures viewable in the native Gallery app?

- What file format are the photos you transferred in?

- Can you provide an example file name for one of the photos that doesn't show up?

- Are other photos accessible inside of PS Touch, just not the ones you transferred?

- Also, what language are you running on the device?

- Does it matter what workflow you go through when attempting to add images? (for example attempting to access Local Photos for a new image or adding it to an existing image)

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2011 9:48 AM   in reply to DavidSaylor1

Hi, i have a Asus Transformer and i can access my photos like David_B told you, just use the gallery app installed and select the folder where you have your photos.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2011 2:08 PM   in reply to David__B

Having the same issue as whartan using iconia a500. Internal storage is accessed under /mnt/sdcard on the iconia which may be the problem.

Removable sdcard is actually mounted as /mnt/external_sd.

Can view /mnt/sdcard/Pictures/test.jpg using Gallery but nothing appears under Local Photos in Photoshop Touch.

size of jpg is 105k

|
    Mark as:
  • Dave Dugal
    2 posts
    Nov 15, 2011
    Nov 15, 2011 3:07 PM   in reply to David__B

I'm also have the issue of no Local Photos in PS Touch.  I'm using an ASUS Transformer as well and the native Gallery app works fine.

One thing that may be interesting is that the Gallery installed on my tablet is called com.android.gallery3d (APK path: /system/app/GalleryNew3DGoogle.apk).  I'm not sure if all Transformers have the "new 3D" gallery or not, but figured I'd share this info.

– Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2011 6:17 PM   in reply to David__B

- Are your pictures viewable in the native Gallery app?  YES    - What file format are the photos you transferred in?   JPG    - Can you provide an example file name for one of the photos that doesn't show up?    mnt/sdcard/DCIM/camera/Dave.jpg    - Are other photos accessible inside of PS Touch, just not the ones you transferred?  ONLY ONES I BRING IN FROM FACEBOOK OR GOOGLE ETC.    - Also, what language are you running on the device?  ENGLISH    - Does it matter what workflow you go through when attempting to add images? (for example attempting to access Local Photos for a new image or adding it to an existing image)   NO

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 11:50 AM   in reply to whartan

To all of you with this issues could you please try some things out?

Do you all have a sdcard mounted or inserted into your tablets?

If you download an image over e.g. the Browser - does it also not show up in the "Local Photos" in the folder Download e.g.?

If you unmount the sdcard - does it the image now show up?

If the sdcard test made any difference - what kind of sdcard's do you have (size)?

If not, do you only have JPG's in the folder that you cannot see in PS Touch (movies, RAW files etc.)?

Do you have many files in the folder (if only jpgs)?

If you do - does it work to copy one of the files to a new folder (so that you have one folder with one file in it).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 12:38 PM   in reply to whartan

Thanks for your patience trying to figure this out.

As a test try taking a picture with the tablet as well as a screen captures. These should also be viewable inside of the Local Pictures in PS Touch

On my device these images appeared in the following two directories on the devices internal storage

DCIM/Camera

ScreenCapture

I'm curious if images in these directories are viewable in PS Touch under Local Photos for users who are NOT able to see their photos in the Pictures directory. If photos do appear as available in PS Touch after taking photos with the camera/screen capture, next step would be to try transferring some of the photos which are not appearing in the Pictures folder into the corresponding directories for the camera or screen capture folders to  see if they do appear then. You might need to use the File Explorer utility to move the photos and use the same kind of naming convention as the original photos in these directories.

Please test this out and let me know how it goes.

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 12:23 PM   in reply to ibarrien

Do you all have a sdcard mounted or inserted into your tablets? Yes, removed it and rebooted no difference

If you download an image over e.g. the Browser - does it also not show up in the "Local Photos" in the folder Download e.g.? Correct, can view in Gallery not in PS Touch

If you unmount the sdcard - does it the image now show up? No

If the sdcard test made any difference - what kind of sdcard's do you have (size)? No difference

If not, do you only have JPG's in the folder that you cannot see in PS Touch (movies, RAW files etc.)? Only jpg

Do you have many files in the folder (if only jpgs)? One

If you do - does it work to copy one of the files to a new folder (so that you have one folder with one file in it). No

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 12:35 PM   in reply to David__B

DCIM/Camera

ScreenCapture

can view Camera shot in PS Touch if accessed through Add Image>Camera,

but if program exited and restarted this Photo will not appear under local photos

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 12:36 PM   in reply to whartan

@north_arm - do you have multiple accounts in your tablet or only one?

only one

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 3:32 AM   in reply to whartan

factory reset (and time restoring) solved it

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 4:31 AM   in reply to north_arm

@north_arm: nice to hear that you could solve it.

Had you tweaked the device in some way?

It would be good to know what it could have been that caused this.

Maybe it was an application that lead to this.

|
    Mark as:
  • Dave Dugal
    2 posts
    Nov 15, 2011
    Nov 17, 2011 6:38 AM   in reply to north_arm

Success for me too!  I was able to resolve my issue by:

* using Root Uninstaller to back up and uninstall the Gallery system app (root required)

* reinstalling Gallery from the backup

* deleting all unavailable CIFS-mounted (network shared) folders from the Gallery within Gallery

It's very possible that one or more of these steps was *not* required, but I wanted to give you helpful Adobe guys as much information as possible.

- Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 11:10 AM   in reply to ibarrien

ibarrien,

device was running Android 3.2, Kernel 2.6.36.3+ , not rooted.

Reinstalled same apps as before

not much help, sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 1:41 PM   in reply to north_arm

I got the impression that you had solved your problem, was this incorrect?

"factory reset (and time restoring) solved it"

Reinstalled same apps as before is probably the reason - could you please give us a list of installed apps?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 1:59 PM   in reply to ibarrien

have solved the problem and have same installed apps as before. just sorry I couldn't narrow down where the glitch was.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 3:52 PM   in reply to whartan

I am having the same problem.  My transformer is unrooted.  I have a microsd card, internal sd and a sd in my keyboard doc.  Jpgs in all 3 places can be seen in the gallery app but not seen in Photoshop touch.  A navigation system in the app would be helpful.  I see nothing in local.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 12:11 AM   in reply to whartan

Like previous posters I have unrooted Asus Transformer, most recent firmware and can see photos in gallery but NOT photoshop touch 'local photos'.

My photos are in the 'Pictures' subdirectory - this is the default for the operating system and I have not tampered with it at all (similar to adecrist above)

Can someone advise how I get a refund?

To suggest that factory reset is a reasonable workaround is unreaonable - i do not have the time/inclinmation to backup /restore all my apps & settings for this - on a vague whim it may work. What kind of solution is this?

Dave_B - for the record here are the answers to your questions posted above:

- Are your pictures viewable in the native Gallery app? YES

- What file format are the photos you transferred in? JPEG

- Can you provide an example file name for one of the photos that doesn't show up? DSC_001.JPG

- Are other photos accessible inside of PS Touch, just not the ones you transferred? NOPE

- Also, what language are you running on the device? ENGLISH [UK]

- Does it matter what workflow you go through when attempting to add images? (for example attempting to access Local Photos for a new image or adding it to an existing image) NOPE

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 5:12 AM   in reply to dsc18

Maybe you can try this out:

In the DCIM (normally "//sdcard/DCIM") folder there's a ".thumbnail" folder that you can see if you use an File manager application

that can see hidden folders.

If you can move this folder to your desktop and then retry - unless you want to delete the folder.

It could be worth rebooting at the same time - also - make sure that you don't have any SD card or other media such as network stores connected.

Please let us know if this works.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 12:36 PM   in reply to ibarrien

ibarrien -

Many thanks for your message  - I tried the steps you mentioned but with no luck; I deleted the directory you described and then restarted the transformer. I am still met with a blank screen when i go to the local photos screen and at this time the app is of no use to me as I cannot open a file.

As per above I have the standard OS and most recent firmware completely non-tinkered with!

Regards.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 7:38 AM   in reply to dsc18

Thanks for letting us know that you do not use a rooted device and that it didn't work.

Since we cannot find the reason could you please answer these questions?

Are you using the Android 3.2.1 version?

Do you have some kind of automatic task killers installed? If so which applications/services do you kill automatically?

Are you connecting your device to a PC or a Mac?

Is there a specific camera that you've been using (that SD card has been using) ?

Have you used sd card with the device and if so which size and speed?

In the gallery - how many folders do you have and images in total?

thanks,

Ignacio

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 3:08 PM   in reply to ibarrien

Maybe you can try  to clear the data from the "media storage".

Check if it helps to reboot afterwards. Together with clearing the "Gallery" app.

thanks,

Ignacio

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2011 1:40 AM   in reply to ibarrien

I cleared the media storage, restarted and it worked !! I didn't need to clear the gallery app.

Many thanks for following up on this for me - much appreciated. Really great support!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2011 5:04 PM   in reply to whartan

As someone who wrote an image manipulation app for Android ( and ran head first into this problem ), I can safely say, it is not Photoshop Touch at fault, it's the screwy way the thumbnailing service works on Android.  I believe there are some applications in the market that force the thumbnail indexes to be rebuilt, otherwise you can clear app data for the gallery, re-open it and let it re-index the media on your device.  It's annoying, but Google is to blame, not Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 6:24 AM   in reply to ibarrien

Hi,

Could you please explain how to "clear the media storage", I renamed DCIM and delete the thumbnails directory and it doesn't seem to work.

I have an unrooted asus transformer with the last firmware.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to elrafox23

In the Android Settings:

1. Select Applications/Apps
    2. Manage Applications
    3. All
    4. Select "Media Storage"
    5. Press Clear Data button

thanks

Ignacio

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to ibarrien

Tried that multiple times without success. Still waiting update to fix that issue. The default saving folder is system folder and it's not accessable. Asus Transformer Prime.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to f0pp4

Have you really tried the steps exactly as they are written?

It could be that you need to restart the device after step 5, please let me know if it helps.

If it still doesn't help - please explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Ignacio

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to ibarrien

I have just bought PS Touch and immediately encountered this problem on a Sony Tablet S running Android 3.2.1.

The suggested solution does not work but I have found if I transfer photos from the DCIM/Camera folder (a very common place for photos to be kept in Android) to /Pictures they are visible to PS Touch.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Mike4QL

Ok,

Are you using a sd card on your device?

thanks,

Ignacio

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to ibarrien

Yes and no!

Earlier Android versions would use a physical SD card for mass storage but more recent devices don't.   However, they still refer to the storage as being on the "internal" SD.  Whether this is actually an SD card or not I have no idea because it is built into the device.  When you browse the files it looks like a separate SD card and most apps will refer to it as being the SD card.

So, "Yes", I am using an SD card but "No" I do not have a separate, external SD card plugged into the device.

Sorry for the ramble.   I hope it makes sense.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to ibarrien

Here's an interesting thing!

I've just been back to look at this again, ~30mins later, and all the folders with pictures in them have appeared Local Photos.   Obviously there's some sort of scanning process which just needed some time to work.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Mike4QL

Yep, I was about to ask you if you had many images or media files on your device.

The Media Storage needs to scan all of them. Until it's done you won't see them in PS Touch.

The users reporting this issue have a corrupted database which makes it impossible to see the image in PS Touch.

Thanks,

Ignacio

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points