• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

install_flashplayer11x32ax_gtbd_aih for IE8 says cannot register..

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have Windows XP Professional SP3.

Both IE8 and Mozilla FireFox browsers are installed.

I am having trouble installing the activex control for IE8 for the latest version of flash player (WIN 11,1,102,55).

I used the install latest version page on the adobe site (using IE browser itself) so that the activex (without the google toolbar) gets installed directly .

It goes through to almost the 60% of the installation process and says: "Error; failed to register".

I have never before had problems installing the new versions of the flash player activex on IE8. This is the first time this error comes up.

But FireFox flash install goes through and works just fine.

[Note:

1. I tried to reinstall the older version (10, 3 r183) activex using the offline file -  install_flash_player_10_active_x.

Same "failed to register" error.

2. I also tried lowering the security "trusted zone", "internet zone" levels to medium, etc. (and then installing the new version) as suggested on Adobe's help page for troubleshooting flsah installs on IE.

But that did not help.]

(So for now, I an going to system restore to an earlier point to have flash player working in both browsers and then install the new version just in FireFox.)

Would appreciate any insight and help.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2011 Nov 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you installing as an Administrator user?

Does the same thing happen if you use the installer from http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909550 ?

If it does, can you try the solution in http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2011 Nov 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; I will try the two solutions you propose and report back [after my system sets a new restore point (which will be tomorrow)].

What is the aih in the file name for the executable in my subject line? Just curious as the one you have given link to downloads executable file without the aih in the filename.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2011 Nov 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AIH is some kind of download manager; the one in my link is the full installer.

B.t.w. you can make your own restore point at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the download from the link you gave on your Nov. 19th response. Still the same problem (failed to register) when installation is about 50% complete.

But I did not try the SubInACL solution (the second link in your response).

For the moment I just use my FF browser with the latest version plugin (it is set to "inform, ask permission and update"). It works fine.

Will remove the outdated version of the Activex in IE through the ADD/REMOVE, so that I do not leave the system vulnerable (if ever I use IE accidentally).

Hope Adobe people read these posts so that they work on this issue.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try running the Microsoft Fix which has been specifically written to address these kind of issues: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

But the MS tool says it is for 64-bit. Is it safe to run it on my laptop which is 32-bit?

In the meantime, I will  unistall the Activex using ADD/REMOVE and try a fresh install of the saved Activex .exe.  So far, I have only used the Adobe uninstaller for the uninstall before the (unsuccessful) attempts at update of the Activex. (Maybe the ADD/REMOVE uninstall will clear the registry error.)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reva12 wrote:

Thanks.

But the MS tool says it is for 64-bit. Is it safe to run it on my laptop which is 32-bit?

No, it doesn't actually say that. It just says that it fixes (or attempts to) a bad registry key on x64 operating systems besides other things.

Microsoft will always warn you if you attempt to run a tool, or install something which is not designed to run on your system, so don't worry. You can see an example of where it worked on Windows XP SP3 for this lady: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4048090#4048090

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue on my computer.  I have the exact same operating system XP SP3 and IE 8.

Install works fine for FireFox but fails at 50% installation with "Error: Failed to Register."  I too tried the two solutions offered above with no luck.

I am an Admin on this machine, so I should have Read-Write permissions to the registry.

Where do I check that? 

How do I edit the permissions for Read-Write for the registry?  (I know the risks...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at a related Post called: 

Re: The ActiveX control for Flash Player could not be registered

In that post ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ said:

Unfortunately you ran the AIH installer (install_flashplayer11x64ax_gtbd_aih.exe) instead of the full installer.

Can you try again with the latest installer from http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909550 (install_flash_player_11_active_x_64bit.exe)

I downloaded the

Windows 32-bit

Flash Player for Internet Explorer version and saved it.

Before running the install package, I disabled my Antivirus software (Symantec)  - not sure if this was critical or not.

I also verified that I had permissions to Read and Write registry keys and values. - not sure if this was critical or not.

Then I ran the install_flash_player_11_active_x_64bit.exe file.

Not sure WHY it worked this time (after I had tried installing Flash about 20-25 times over 3 days)

Flash installed successfully and is working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.  I really don't know why it worked this time, when it did not for your previous 20-25 attempts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So which one did DWill84411 run? And on which machine, 32-bit or 64-bit?

I still have not run fixit, which I will do soon.

I have however looked at my Mcafee log: Everytime it has prevented the Activex from being created, if I read it correctly.

The disable on my Mcafee Access scan is greyed out. (I had had no problem with installing the IE Flash Activex before and I have not reconfigured anything in the Mcafee settings for this to happen.)

Question: If I temporarily stop the Mcafee service through the Service console, would it help? (Or would it even let me stop it using the service.msc seeing that the disable on the Mcafee console Access Scan right-click menu is greyed out?)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to apologize to everyone who has read my post, after stating that Flash was working fine, soon after, I logged off my Windows account and my computer locked up and would not respond to anything.  I had to hard reboot (hold the power button in).  After rebooting, my computer would not complete the reboot process and hung on the Windows XP screen.  Now this was NOT caused by me installing Flash 11.1.  One thing I failed to mention was that I changed permissions on ALL my Registry keys by adding Read/Write permissions for Administrators to ALL keys!!  (I didn't know which keys I needed to change so I just decided to add Read/Write for Administrators to ALL keys thinking that it wouldn't adversely affect performance.  I am not sure that this is what caused my computer to freeze but, I know the risks of editing the Registry (read my previous post) and I believe that I broke my Registry by editing things that I had no business editing....

Having said that - the other thing I realized BEFORE my computer froze was that the "fix" I performed by installing the Flash EXE was ONLY working in Firefox and NEVER worked in IE.  So, we still have not found a fix for updating Flash to 11.1 that works in IE.

Since I regularly backup my computer using Norton Ghost, I was able to restore my System Files to a Restore point from 2 days ago.

Again, sorry I posted prematurely - but after attempting to install Flash over 20 times, I was so excited that I had thought that it was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you running into the registration error in Flash Player, in addition to the proc mon log, can you also post your Flash Player installer log files?

Where do I find the Flash Player installation log on Windows?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried the procedure below and it worked.  I now have Flash 11.1 working in IE 8.0:

This procedure from here:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

Solution

Warning! By following the directions below, you will modify the Windows System Registry. A mistake could cause serious system damage, which may require you to reinstall your operating system.

If you are not comfortable editing the registry, get help from your system administrator or another IT professional.

If you choose to proceed, first back up your entire hard drive, and create a Windows System Restore Point.

Adobe Systems cannot be held responsible for damage resulting from your following these instructions.

Note: The following solution is not required for Flash Player 10 and above. These registry changes were included in the Flash Player uninstaller and can be downloaded here.

1. Make sure you are logged into a Windows Administrator account.  If you are not, you will not be able to use SubInACL.
  2. Download SubInACL from the Microsoft Download Center.
  3. Follow the installation instructions.  Make sure you install SubInACL (subinacl.exe) to the directory C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools.
  4. Download the reset_fp10.zip file.
  5. Open the fp10.zip file and extract the reset_fp10.cmd file to the directory C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.
    Both this file and SubInACL (subinacl.exe) must be in this directory.
  6. Double-click reset_fp10.cmd. A command window will open, and SubInACL will run.
    Do not use the machine while SubInACL is running.
  7. After SubInACL finishes, you will see a prompt "Press any key to continue".
  8. Install Flash Player from the Flash Player download page.
  9. To confirm that your installation succeeded, visit the About Flash Player page. At the top of the screen, you should see a message that reads "Adobe Flash Player Successfully Installed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines