Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Davinci Resolve 8.1.1 to Premiere CS5.5.2  import error

Nov 18, 2011 11:39 AM

Importing an XML from Resolve to Premiere gives me a "File import error"  "The importer reported a generic error."

The XML from Resolve opens correctly in FCP7, and exporting that Resolve XML from FCP as an XML version 5 from FCP7 is correctly opened in Premiere.  Can anyone else verify they are getting the same result?

thanks, 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2011 7:54 AM   in reply to LFedit

I'm having the exact same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 9:36 AM   in reply to LFedit

Do you have any offline media in your Resolve session?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 9:40 AM   in reply to LFedit

LFedit wrote:

Just needed someone else to have the same issue.  I recommend submitting a bug report.  And we can cross our fingers for them to get this right.  Good thing we have FCP7 for yet another work around........

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

good luck,

I submitted a bug report

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 9:56 AM   in reply to LFedit

I haven't noticed any frame slipping. The only slipping I notice is in and out points change when I have a transition alignment on something other than center, but it doesn't affect the transition in and out so it's not that big a deal.

My projects tend to be XDCAM EX 1920x1080 @ 24p. I render with 24 frame handles and I just started having issues when I have offline media. Specifically, I had some Illustrator files in Premiere and I kept them there because I wanted to keep the timing the same. Normally Resolve renders black frames for the offline media.

At first I had a rendering problem when I had handles in Resolve. Then, once I got out of Resolve, Premiere would not import the XML.

Funny thing is that I tried importing in CS5 and it worked!

Odd...must be a CS5.5 thing. But I think in CS5 the sequence from Resolve made Premiere crash.

I emailed Blackmagic and they said that it seems to be a problem with how Premiere handles slugs.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 10:19 AM   in reply to LFedit

Try and remove the offline file and see if that works?

The thing is that I tried it on CS5.5.1 also and it didn't work for me either.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 11:13 AM   in reply to LFedit

You did do the resolve to FCP setting right?

One thing you might try to do: In Resolve, unlock the tracks in the conform tab and delete the offline clips that way you won't miss any and then try the render again and export to Premiere.

I recommend making a short sequence to test it out. Like about a 4 clip sequence with clips that will be offline in Resolve. Basically, something simliar to what you have already just smaller.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 11:16 AM   in reply to gil_uta

On a side note that XML that I sent to FCP and back to Premiere seems to crash Premiere. Do you experience this?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 12:30 PM   in reply to LFedit

On the reconnect issue:

Are you having problems connecting to the Resolve renders? Or does it connect to the render? I'm confused.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 1:46 PM   in reply to LFedit

I've never done it that way. I normally render, then export XML from

The conform tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to LFedit

I'm having this issue as well. Submitted a bug report. Hopefully Adobe will fix this problem and not introduce any new ones.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to amorrelle

Does your session in DaVinci have any offline media?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to gil_uta

No, resolve renders every clip perfectly. I just can't get Premiere Pro to open the XML. Sorry if my original response was a bit misleading given the prior discussion. I used FCP 7 as an intermediate and it worked but I really don't want to use another program just to translate the xml.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to amorrelle

But did you have anything in your DaVinci session out of the norm? When I had that problem, it was because premiere couldn't import the black slugs that DaVinci rendered out.

Have you tried the Resolve 8.2 beta?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to LFedit

I agree with LFedit!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to gil_uta

Well, now I do too... There was a title I missed. It imports fine now . Thanks for the clarification. I've had various levels of roundtripping work in other versions of Premiere Pro but they all have had various problems. This looks to be the most complete (albeit a bit annoying). Thanks once again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to amorrelle

Has anyone here tried the roundtrip with 8.2 beta? I was wondering if they fixed the issue or if it's still the same?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points