Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to merge colour-separated PostScript into full-colour PDF?

Nov 21, 2011 5:29 AM

Tags: #pdf #postscript #color_separations

Hi there

I have a PostScript file that consists of four pages, one for each of the CMYK colour separations. I’d like to merge these pages into a single full-colour page. Any ideas on how to do this?

Creating a new PDF in Acrobat or with Distiller creates the four-page PDF. I’m sure I could figure out how to do it with PhotoShop, but I don’t want to rasterise it and I’d like to work out how to do it efficiently, as I’ll need to do this to a whole lot of other files as well.

I’d appreciate any advice or pointers to other resources. I’ve haven’t found much at all in my searching.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2011 9:35 AM   in reply to Graham van de Ruit

There is no direct way to do this with any Adobe products. You are effectively trying to undo the separation process that created the pages you have. To do this other than via rasterization with Photoshop would require software that could analyze each of the objects on each of the separations and combine matching text, vector, and raster objects back into single objects with the color values taken from the separations.

Conceivably you could make each page into a layer and turn on overprint for absolutely all objects in each layer, although this would yield a rather awkward PDF file that might not give you the results you are looking for.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points