Skip navigation
ptownbro
Currently Being Moderated

Flash video on web page takes long very time to load before it starts playback

Nov 21, 2011 3:06 PM

I just created a basic flash file to play a video on my web page and it's taking several minutes to load before it starts playback.

I'm using progressive downlaod and the file is in *.mov format and is 84MB in size. At first that seemed large to me for web play back, but I thought it could handle it since I thought the way progressive download works is that it would start playing the first frame right away and progressively play other frames as they download. However, this seems to be downloading the whole file first (or a major part of it) before starting any playback at all.

Is there some kind of setting I'm missing or is my understanding of the download incorrect and the file size is too large?

Some vitals:

- I'm using Flash Pro CS5

- To create my flash file, I used the standard import video wizard and selected the a file that is "on my computer" and "load external video with playback component" and then, I selected one of the standard skins.

- To deploy the vidoe on my webiste I have three files:

1) swf file containing the FLV component

2) the swf file related to skin

3) the actual video (84MB, mov file)

- Web page includes/embeds reference to swf file

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2011 10:52 PM   in reply to ptownbro

Since the video is a QuickTime .mov file, most likely the problem is that the MOOV Atom is at the very end of the file. This is an index file that holds a measurement of how large the file is. Since that index file is at the very end, the entire file must download before the player can tell how large the file is compared to how much is already downloaded.

Use software like Index Swapper to move the index file to the beginning of the video file:

http://renaun.com/blog/code/qtindexswapper/

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 6:52 AM   in reply to ptownbro

I can't get the video to play in either FireFox or Internet Explorer.

Are you saying that if I wait long enough it will start to play .... from the link you posted?

Also, code says Flash player version 6.... which will not play .f4v

codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#ve rsion=6,0,40,0"

second consideration is that some hosting services have not correctly set the MIME type for the .f4v video file type. Its a fairly new file type and unless someone else on that shared server has requested the change.... the host may not have gotten around to setting it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME

You may want to check with hosting service just to be sure that's been taken care of.

When you transcoded to .f4v did you change the name/path in the FLVPlayback component?

What is the direct download address of the video file? Perhaps someone here will download and do further testing.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 11:33 AM   in reply to ptownbro

Things seem a little mixed up here so let's first ensure that all the files are where they should be. For example:

http://www.upperhand.com/tv/UpperHand_clips-introductory_offer-YouTube _sharing.f4v

returns "File not found".... in other words, your code says the .f4v file should be at that location but the server says it's not there.

<a href="UpperHand_clips-introductory_offer-YouTube_sharing.f4v">UpperHand_clips-introductory_offer-YouTube_sharing.f4v</a>

Double check that you have uploaded that file to the same folder as the skin .swf. If the .f4v file is actually there but the server cannot recognize it, contact your web hosting service about the MIME type for .f4vs.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 3:45 PM   in reply to ptownbro

Glad you got it all working! sometimes it's a combination of little things like that!

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points