Skip navigation
Texas Prairie Rose
Currently Being Moderated

Can't I use my Scanner with the Elements 10 editor without the organizer??

Nov 25, 2011 12:58 PM

Tags: #scanner #plugin #plug-in #pse10 #elements_10 #twain #scanning #photoshop_elements_10

I have been using Photoshop Elements for a looong time to help me create the product images I need for my online business. It's been a love-love relationship... until I took advantage of a special offer and bought Elements 10. Now it seems the only way I can scan images is thru the Organizer.... and the organizer is something I don't need.

Is there a way to scan my images thru the Editor only... and completely bypass the organizer (as I'm able to do with my older version of Elements)? Like a twain plugin I can install or something?

I may scan 10 images and decide to use only 3 of them... and those are the only ones I save.

With the way PSE10 is set up using the Organizer to scan, it's saving all 10 of them. Not to mention the extra steps of scanning thru the Organizer... (which means that pop-up window for my scanner every time), back over to the editor to pull the images in for editing, back to my files to delete the ones the organizer saved that I don't want... etc etc etc.
It's like 5-6 extra steps altogether and a huge time-sink for me (you know the old saying... time is money).

If there's no way to bypass the Organizer for scanning.... can I get a refund on my purchase? My older version of Elements works beautifully for me...  I was just hoping for  more sophisticated image editing capabilities.

VERY frustrated right now.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2011 1:02 PM   in reply to Texas Prairie Rose

In Elements 10, you’ll need to move the Adobe TWAIN driver (Twain_32.8ba), if your scanner requires it, before you can scan into the Editor. In Windows, go to C:\Program Files [Program Files(x86) for 64-bit systems]\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 10\Optional Plug-Ins\Import-Export, find the Adobe TWAIN driver, and move it to C:\Program Files [Program Files(x86) for 64-bit systems]\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 10\Locales\en_US (this will be different if you aren’t in the US)\Plug-Ins\Import-Export.

On a Mac, go to Applications➝Adobe Photoshop Elements 10➝Support Files➝Optional Plug- Ins➝ImportModules, and move TWAIN.plugin from there into Applications➝Adobe Photoshop Elements 10➝Support Files➝Plug-Ins➝Import Modules. For the App Store version, go to Applications and Right- click/Control-click Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Editor and choose Show Package Contents➝Contents and move TWAIN.plugin from Optional Plug-ins➝ImportModules to Plug-ins➝ImportModules. (When you start to move it, you'll see a message warning that plug-ins can't be modified. Click Authenticate and enter your OS X account password, and then you'll be able to move it.)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 1:31 PM   in reply to Texas Prairie Rose

In the Editor, if you use File...Import...WIA Support do you see your scanner?

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 1:42 PM   in reply to Texas Prairie Rose

And if you click on the WIA Support, do you see your scanner in the dialog that pops up?

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 2:00 PM   in reply to Texas Prairie Rose

Sure, that's OK.

What I'm getting at is that the TWAIN driver is old technology that's been superceded by WIA.  That's why PSE doesn't install the TWAIN driver, and only provides it in the "Optional Plugins" directory.

If the WIA method works, then you don't need the TWAIN driver, and you can move it back to that "Optional Plugins" directory so PSE doesn't load unnecessary code when it starts.

The bottom line is to use whichever method works best for you.  Nice to have choices, eh?

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 2:08 PM   in reply to Texas Prairie Rose

Heyyy, getting old is better than the alternative!

Seriously though, you really ought to upgrade to Win7 -- better security and performance, etc.  The only drawback is if your printer and scanner manufacturers don't provide Vista or Win7 drivers for the equipment (likely if the printer and scanner are old), you'll have to buy new ones.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 4:48 PM   in reply to Texas Prairie Rose

If you're considering Outlook 2010, this might get you started:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291602

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 11:40 AM   in reply to Texas Prairie Rose

Brilliant.  It solved my problem since I use Elements for importing images from my scanner and version 10 (downloaded from App Store) did not have this option.  The instructions have fixed it.  I am so pleased.  Thank you. 

Could I suggest that Adobe introduce this fix into the application?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 11:50 AM   in reply to Fergie43

It's not a "fix", exactly. The TWAIN plug-in causes a lot of crashing in PSE so in the past couple of versions adobe makes you install it if you want it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 2:46 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Thank you very much for your explanation which I fully understand.  Since a "fix", as you say, is not a solution might it not be a good idea to alert purchasers of the latest editions of Elements that they have an option to try this alteration to the installation in order to be able to import images from a scanner?  (My own experience with versions prior to 9 always worked perfectly!)  I do not know but does Photoshop CS5 allow the user to import images from a scanner or does the user have to use a similar solution to what applies to Photoshop Elements?  I find Elements to be a very good app and am sure it is a good selling product for Adobe for amateur/semi-pro users that the alternative that I suggest may be a useful tool for existing or new users who want or need the capability to import from a scanner rather than having to go through other more difficulty and time consuming ways of doing the same task.  Kindest regards and with my best intentions.

Fergus Cooper

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:50:51 -0700

To: ferguscooper@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: Can't I use my Scanner with the Elements 10 editor without the organizer?? Can't I use my Scanner with the Elements 10 editor without the organizer??

Re: Can't I use my Scanner with the Elements 10 editor without the organizer??

created by Barbara B. in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

It's not a "fix", exactly. The TWAIN plug-in causes a lot of crashing in PSE so in the past couple of versions adobe makes you install it if you want it.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Can't I use my Scanner with the Elements 10 editor without the organizer??

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Can't I use my Scanner with the Elements 10 editor without the organizer??. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points