Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Feature Requests / Suggestion Box

Jun 2, 2008 12:16 PM

We have launched a site ( http://ideas.acrobat.com) to capture your features and suggestions. If you have an idea or want to see what others are requesting and vote on an idea, please visit our website.

Note, we will keep up this feature requests and suggestions thread so people can view what was requested prior to the launch of the ideas website.

Thanks,
The Acrobat.com Team
Buzzword is part Acrobat.com

Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 2, 2008 12:43 PM   in reply to acropete
    Do you have any plans to provide Buzzword as a standalone library so that others could integrate it within their products?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 3:06 PM   in reply to acropete
    I'm disappointed there seems to be no concept of structure in a Buzzword doc, no hierarchy of styles.

Authoring in Word using standard Header 1 and Header 2 styles would allow me to produce a PDF with a nice bookmark structure on export for easy navigation. Importing the same .doc into Buzzword and exporting there produces a PDF agnostic of the structure.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 3:10 PM   in reply to acropete
    Now any change I make in Buzzword Doc will be automatically saved.
    I would like to know if you will add feature that prompt to save/discard.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 5:54 PM   in reply to acropete
    I am really going to miss the old Buzzword forum. There were so many comments and such, (where did they go?) and I got to know it, and I liked its organization for the most part. The part I really like is that "Reply" is outlined rather than "save". That screwed me up a lot in the old forum.
    The new face is spiffy.... But there is a lot of opening new windows and taking much loading time in the process. It won't be a problem for me, because I don't plan on using much besides Buzzword.
    The internal engine to Buzzword doesn't seem to have changed much, though. The only think I've noticed so far is a new icon for the image toolbar.
    So I will take this time to re-iterate some things that I think would make Buzzword even better:
    1 - Bookmarks. I have become dependent on bookmarks.... Open Office does it so well, it is easy to create and browse through them. You could make, like a little box (similar to the symbol insert one) where users could create, destroy, and follow bookmarks with just a click. It would be awesome.
    2 - A floating message thing. Something that you could write comments in but wasn't attached to a specific line. I have created separate documents for this purpose, but it would be nice to be able to have it to the side. Like Macintosh Stickies or something.
    3 - I thought I had another idea that I posted in the old forum... But I can't remember it... Is there anyway to visit that?
    4 - Everyone wants a new organizer. Tags and folders and stuff. I suppose it would be nice. But it is defiantly the most suggested feature in the old forum.
    5 - It would also be nice to be able to re-name a document for your organizer alone. Not that it would affect the true name and how others saw it.
    6 - A horizontal ruler.
    Oh, and if there have been more changes to buzzword that I don't know about, then you should consider updating the "Welcome to Buzzword" document....

Thank you for this wonderful word processor. And thanks for reading all our comments so patiently.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 6:01 PM   in reply to acropete
    Hi - New User - about fifty minutes. Love the concept of high quality web based word processor with good document control. Coupla things: on the flow editing seems tricky - eg no right click for edit; no ability to paint document format on to new paragraphs. Also difficulty in discerning colour on text - so hard to match up text colour when editing a document.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 7:35 PM   in reply to acropete
    I miss Ghandi on the Image menu.... :(

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 7:49 PM   in reply to acropete
    Hi All,

great job so far. Here are some suggestions (=things I’d love to see):

* UTF-8 support. You don’t support double-byte text (Japanese, Korean, Chinese) either directly or via copy/paste. You don’t even support some diacritics used by European languages (Česky becomes •esky). Huh?
    * versioning with diff—being able to see previous versions is nice, but it’s not so useful without the ability to compare the differences between two versions, especially with multiple authors. Super mega bonus points for access to versions via git or svn or something—I want a local versioned backup for when I don’t have net access, and so I can use other tools to edit documents.
    * paragraph and character styles, with a minimal set of sane, semantic defaults
    * a styles gallery, allowing us to browse, apply, and share sets of style formatting to the semantic styles we're using. This lets us change the look of the document really easily, plus is a big encouragement for users to actually use “heading 1” etc over user-created “Big red Times centered”-type styles ;-)
    * Style cascading—allow styles to be based on another style, so any changes that aren’t explicitly overridden get inherited
    * Option to use Markdown/Textile when writing. This would probably be mainly for inline styles. which could then be auto-converted to the appropriate style/formatting. Subsequent editing of the style would then be done via standard style/formatting tools.
    * Markdown/Textile as a supported file formatting (import/export)
    * If the history panel is open I can’t apply formatting, but there’s no warning/feedback like there is if I try to edit text. No modal dialogs please.

Finally, please use HTML forms (not Flash) for sign-in. Flash text fields don’t allow the browser to auto-save login info, don’t accept drag-and-drop text, don’t allow the use of things like the password autogen bookmarklet, and can also have problems with keyboard layouts (ie entering some punctuation when using a non-US keyboard layout).

peace - oli

PS Why do I need to enter my postal address to sign up for this forum?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 8:54 PM   in reply to acropete
    Hi! Would be nice if there was a "spread text" option on the Paragraph Menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 10:39 PM   in reply to Brossmac
    I think you meant Gandhi. I really liked that image too - I wish it could be brought back.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jun 3, 2008 12:06 PM   in reply to oliboblet-DNEdU9
    quote:

Originally posted by: oliboblet
    Hi All,

great job so far. Here are some suggestions (=things I’d love to see):

* UTF-8 support. You don’t support double-byte text (Japanese, Korean, Chinese) either directly or via copy/paste. You don’t even support some diacritics used by European languages (Česky becomes •esky). Huh?
    * versioning with diff—being able to see previous versions is nice, but it’s not so useful without the ability to compare the differences between two versions, especially with multiple authors. Super mega bonus points for access to versions via git or svn or something—I want a local versioned backup for when I don’t have net access, and so I can use other tools to edit documents.
    * paragraph and character styles, with a minimal set of sane, semantic defaults
    * a styles gallery, allowing us to browse, apply, and share sets of style formatting to the semantic styles we're using. This lets us change the look of the document really easily, plus is a big encouragement for users to actually use “heading 1” etc over user-created “Big red Times centered”-type styles ;-)
    * Style cascading—allow styles to be based on another style, so any changes that aren’t explicitly overridden get inherited
    * Option to use Markdown/Textile when writing. This would probably be mainly for inline styles. which could then be auto-converted to the appropriate style/formatting. Subsequent editing of the style would then be done via standard style/formatting tools.
    * Markdown/Textile as a supported file formatting (import/export)
    * If the history panel is open I can’t apply formatting, but there’s no warning/feedback like there is if I try to edit text. No modal dialogs please.

Finally, please use HTML forms (not Flash) for sign-in. Flash text fields don’t allow the browser to auto-save login info, don’t accept drag-and-drop text, don’t allow the use of things like the password autogen bookmarklet, and can also have problems with keyboard layouts (ie entering some punctuation when using a non-US keyboard layout).

peace - oli

PS Why do I need to enter my postal address to sign up for this forum?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2008 12:08 PM   in reply to acropete
    I think the addition of the paragraph styles would be the most important teature to be included!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2008 2:34 PM   in reply to acropete
    This is great.

I'm a PhD student hoping to be able to use this for my thesis in 2 years and any papers I publish along the way. Therefore I'd really like to see:

1 - Columns, subscript, superscript, special characters... etc

2 - Templates (which I could share)

3 - A Mindmap tool, where I could plan a document.

4 - A lists function where I could add tables, figures and references that can be collated and pinned to points in the document.

5 - Book formatting, so I could have page numbers on alternating corners, view it as a book, etc.

(oh and an iPhone interface, if flash ever gets working)

Just a thought.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2008 4:29 PM   in reply to acropete
    Buzzword is one of the best word processors I have used - online AND offline. I would love to see an offline version so I could take it anywhere I go.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 8:29 AM   in reply to acropete
    quote:

1 - Bookmarks. I have become dependent on bookmarks.... Open Office does it so well, it is easy to create and browse through them. You could make, like a little box (similar to the symbol insert one) where users could create, destroy, and follow bookmarks with just a click. It would be awesome.
    2 - A floating message thing. Something that you could write comments in but wasn't attached to a specific line. I have created separate documents for this purpose, but it would be nice to be able to have it to the side. Like Macintosh Stickies or something.
    3 - I thought I had another idea that I posted in the old forum... But I can't remember it... Is there anyway to visit that?
    4 - Everyone wants a new organizer. Tags and folders and stuff. I suppose it would be nice. But it is defiantly the most suggested feature in the old forum.
    5 - It would also be nice to be able to re-name a document for your organizer alone. Not that it would affect the true name and how others saw it.
    6 - A horizontal ruler.

7 - Another thing that would be great is a 'mark as unread' feature, like e-mail has, in case I opened a document and didn't find what was different or just wanted to mark it so I remember to look at it when I get on next. And on that note, it would be nice if Buzzword could temporarily mark (with an underline or something, perhaps a colored bar to the left) changes that happened to the document.
    Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 6:02 PM   in reply to acropete
    MS Word allows you to add a row to an existing table by pressing tab in the last column on the last row. Can you add this feature to Buzzword? I find using the mouse to click on the add row icon a bit cumbersome.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 2:00 AM   in reply to acropete
    My top feature requests:
    * Organizer: Please please invest more in Organizer.
    1. Tags/Labels or folder support
    2. Search all the files using Apache lucene or something.

* Collaboration
    3. Ability to get mail-notifications/RSS feeds about changes to 'watched' documents with-out logging to Buzzword or if my authored documents have been commented.

* Offline support
    4. I am not really waiting for Buzzword AIR application. What I seek is ability to sync all documents offline periodically (only those that have changed).

Lastly, I would suggest ability to 'vote' for features that Buzzword users would want to see implemented first just like Adobe Flex team has done. These are my votes. But, a quick surveymonkey.com type of survey would make it more easy for normal Buzzword users to contribute and let Buzzword team know what they want implemented first.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 9:56 AM   in reply to acropete
    Drawing features -- lines, shapes, text boxes. It doesn't need to be very fancy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2008 8:43 AM   in reply to acropete
    1. Justified text
    2. Folders
    3. Merge Organizer w/ Adobe Share

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM   in reply to acropete
    There are some nice things with this currently, good job! After using it for a few days, here are some possible improvements:

1) I agree with others' call for Styles and templates
    2) There is no intuitive document close option. You can click the "go to your other Buzzword docs" but I think you could make this a bit more obvious.
    3) Ruler and tab spacing
    4) Ability to select text and then drag&drop
    5) Ability to open multiple documents at once & minimize/maximize
    6) There is no way now to get a Print Preview-like view. Sometimes it's helpful to zoom out to look at entire page layout.
    7) I agree with others' call for the ability to hit tab at last cell of table to add another row. I think it's also helpful to see table grid lines
    8) I'm one of those people in Word who like to see my paragraph marks and spaces. A similar feature would be nice as a toggle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2008 11:59 AM   in reply to craistrick
    Ditto. Especially the basics like columns and book formatting.

quote:

Originally posted by: craistrick
    This is great.

I'm a PhD student hoping to be able to use this for my thesis in 2 years and any papers I publish along the way. Therefore I'd really like to see:

1 - Columns, subscript, superscript, special characters... etc

2 - Templates (which I could share)

3 - A Mindmap tool, where I could plan a document.

4 - A lists function where I could add tables, figures and references that can be collated and pinned to points in the document.

5 - Book formatting, so I could have page numbers on alternating corners, view it as a book, etc.

(oh and an iPhone interface, if flash ever gets working)

Just a thought.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2008 1:12 PM   in reply to LfxN
    Just a me-too and reinforcement of a couple of previous posts. (nice-looking and smooth implementation, BTW)

Real documents require named styles. The xhtml block-element (and inline-element) set would sufffice. Given the graphic niceness of Buzzword, you probably also need some kind of style-formatting facility (adapting the UI from dreamweaver?). For me and my colleagues, these are show-stoppers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2008 10:28 PM   in reply to acropete
    Well i've been using buzzword and acrobat.com for a couple of days only.... the first things that bothered me is that there is no "integration" between the buzzword organizer and the "my files" organizer...

If I upload a document to "my files" and then I would like to edit it, I have to import it separately to buzzword... or if I want to share a buzzword document, I have to export it to PDF (downloading to my PC), and then upload it again to my files... I feel it would be better if we could "move" files back and forth buzzword and the other services.

On functionality, well I know it's kind of basic right now, but I bet it will grow and grow on formatting options, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2008 9:54 PM   in reply to acropete
    I love the editor thus far. Am always hoping to see Equation editing capability built in. Any plans to do so with Buzzword? You could follow the TexPoint (a LaTeX add-in for M$ Word and Powerpoint) paradigm of identifying LaTeX strings, compiling them into images and inserting the images into the document. The equations themselves would be preserved and could be accessed and edited later by double-clicking on the image. I personally find this approach *much* more efficient than the clunky M$ equation editor.
    All the best.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2008 8:19 AM   in reply to acropete
    I would like to export/import a group of users to share with

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2008 8:24 AM   in reply to acropete
    I think the support of the Open Document Format is crucial. Would be great to stop MS from having a strangle hold on office software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2008 8:56 AM   in reply to acropete
    Great input so far - we appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2008 1:24 PM   in reply to MikeKaiser
    quote:

Originally posted by: MikeKaiser
    Drawing features -- lines, shapes, text boxes. It doesn't need to be very fancy.

I second this idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2008 3:31 PM   in reply to Cedric369
    One small feature I'd like to see is being able to use Tab and Shift-Tab in lists to move up/down the hierarchy. So, pressing tab on a level 1 item would move it to level 2, Shift-Tab would do the opposite.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2008 3:51 AM   in reply to acropete
    Under the Edit drop down menu it would be great to see "Undo All", or Revert.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2008 9:57 PM   in reply to acropete
    Have been experimenting with different online word processors over the last few weeks and buzzword is going to be my long term option. Best looking interface & most appropriate features for me.

The thing I'd really like to see, is the ability to create folders in the document manager. Grouping ALL my documents in one list, no matter how it is sorted, is going to get really ugly really quickly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2008 10:17 AM   in reply to acropete
    s

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2008 10:21 AM   in reply to acropete
    The new 'Return-to-Buzzword-Organizer' tab-button thing doesn't work as well as it once did. I think it is too large and has to come out too far and wigs out a bit.

To boston12345, there is a rular, you just have to make it come out like in the bloody aweful Word 2007 (no that this is what makes Word 2007). Buzzword's isn't nearly so concealed - it is a little green button in the upper left corner.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2008 11:52 AM   in reply to acropete
    Hey, great to see an online text editor that isn't ugly and made by Google! :) Anyhow, I've been using it for a couple of days and so far and I'm mostly happy. Just a few suggestions:

1 - It's a drag to keep clicking on all the different sliding tabs just to get back and forth between font and list tools. I would rather see some of the dead interface area fill up with all these options, or let me make my own tab full of common tools.

2 - Styles would be great, where I could set up a font, size and color and then apply them all to a selection with one click.

3 - Folders, Please! The fly-around sorts that you currently have are mostly ridiculous. We need nesting folder structures to be able to make sense of anything more than a handful of documents. Also, it would be great if the display area was dynamic so it would grow to show the whole name of the file. Right now the only way I have to sort docs is by adding some text to the front of the name file, like "Proj 1 - ", and that just takes up even more of the already small display area.

4 - It would be wonderful to have a "Save All As" option, which would save all the documents currently in Buzzword to a selected file type (doc, pdf, etc) on my hard drive. This would let me "back up" or pull down large groups for various reasons very quickly. This feature will grow even more important as user content on your service grows. Imagine pulling out 50 or more docs!

5 - I know this one is minor, but it would be great to minimize some of the "whooshing and zooming". I know it's Flash, but seriously, I would rather just have the menu or tab open when I click it. I don't need to watch it animate open again, and again, and again, and again.

Thanks, this is already great stuff and can only get better!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2008 1:08 PM   in reply to corth
    Excellent suggestions or feature requests, please continue adding or re-enforcing suggestions or feature requests.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2008 9:27 PM   in reply to acropete
    Ditto on offline support. It would be especially useful to be able to work on documents in MS Word and save directly into a Buzzwords account and thereafter be able to sync with the version of the document that is already online. I like to work offline a lot, but it is such a hassle to have to reimport a document every time I've worked on it offline.

I previously used Zoho Writer, and they have a nice plugin for MS Word. I now prefer to use Buzzwords, but miss the convenience of the plugin.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2008 9:56 AM   in reply to acropete
    This suggestion may be a little off-topic, but I'd love to use Buzzword to compose blog posts (formatted html). Have you thought of integrating with blog services? I use TypePad and their wysiwyg post editor is not so good and getting worse (especially since a recent "upgrade").

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2008 7:30 PM   in reply to acropete
    Having support of different languages than English will increase the willingness to use the tool all over the world, not only in English speaking countries.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2008 9:45 PM   in reply to acropete
    - TOC
    - References (footnotes, bibliography)
    - Quick diagramming tool (Visio killer)

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2008 12:30 PM   in reply to acropete
    I'd agree with all of the suggestions so far, but I think the most pressing to implement is styles/templates, followed by tags/folders.

Also, are there any plans to integrate Photshop Express into this system? Being able to quickly edit an image there, and then import it into a document would be fantastic.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points