Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.

Nov 28, 2011 1:16 PM

Tags: #problem #video #audio #premiere #cs5.5 #import

I've got a file (one of 3) I've been given to create a smaller file (320x480) from.

The (problem) file is an avi file and plays (video and audio) just fine in the native Windows media player. (I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) There are no issues of memory or HDisc space.

Video:

MPEG-4

The file is 2:21:29 in length.

720x480

Data rate 1489kbps

Total bitrate 1617kbps

29 frames/second

Audio:

Bit rate 128kbps

Channels 2 (stereo)

Audio sample rate 48 kHz

The file is about 1.6Gb

This is one of 3 I recieved. The other two were of comparable specs (file format, codec, etc.) and similar length (not exactly but one was slightly longer, the other shorter.)

The problem is that this particular file (the other two import perfectly), when imported, only comes in as an audio file. No video imports. The other files import as audio and video. No error message either.

I've imported all kinds of video files in the past with different frame sizes, rates, and aspect ratios, and codecs, yet I've never had one that only imports the audio without the video.

Suggestions?!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2011 1:26 PM   in reply to bgcat00

Do this:

1. Download the latest 64-bit static build of FFmpeg from here: Zeranoe FFmpeg - Builds
    2. Open the archive; you'll probably need 7-Zip since the archive is a .7z file. Extract the ffmpeg.exe file in the  archive (it's in the "bin" folder) to the folder containing your AVIs.
    3. Create a text document (Notepad is fine) called "avi2mp4.bat" (no quotes) in the same folder as the AVIs, making sure to change the default TXT extension to BAT.
    4. Paste the following into the BAT file:
      @ECHO OFF
      for %%a in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mp4 -y "%%~na".mp4
    5. Once you save the BAT file, double-click it; your AVIs will be rewrapped to MP4s without any conversion. The MP4s should correctly import into Premiere Pro.

Report any troubles. If it doesn't work, grab MediaInfo and use it to analyze the file; you can use Text mode to copy and paste the results of the file analysis here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 3:12 PM   in reply to bgcat00

can you split the avi to a small sample and share it? Ive had probs like this and i cant remember exactly what I did..but it had to do with using virtualdub and maybe one other program.. one for the sound file and one for video...sync wasnt an issue but who knows what will happen if you follow this thru.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 3:42 PM   in reply to bgcat00

you can split it using virtualdub IIRC.. but if you think a sample of file " type" to fix prob and share is against your secrecy stuff then forget it..anyway, good luck..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 5:34 PM   in reply to bgcat00

XVID is a delivery format, not an edit format

Find something to convert to DV AVI Type 2 with 16bit 48khz sound

Or, if this is HiDef, a HiDef codec that is meant for editing

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 11:32 AM   in reply to bgcat00

if you split file to small segment for sharing ( to troubleshoot ) DONT do anything to the file except split it. otherwise theres no point IMO.

get virtualdub ( Free )...open your avi... leave everything at the default settings .... use " save as AVI " and rename the file to what you want for testing...( different than your original avi ).

try to import it to editor...see what happens.

xvid is wanky ...is for 'viewing' not editing...but you might get something decent out of virtualdub ( which is a great program even though it is free )

post results

the sync prob wouldnt be until AFTER the export from virtualdub and test how it worked out

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points