Skip navigation
chessgeek
Currently Being Moderated

Adding a new Epson scanner to Photoshop CS5.1 on LION computer

Nov 30, 2011 12:31 PM

Tags: #scanner #photoshop_cs5

We just recently (today, in fact) installed a new Epon flatbed scanner on an iMac running MAC OS 10.7.2.  It already had Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 on it.  It seems that no matter what we do, when we click on File on go to Import, the scanner option is not there.  I am not an experienced Photoshop user (or an experienced Mac person), I am going by what the end user tells me should be there and how its supposed to work.  She needs to be able to scan from the new scanner in Photoshop.  Is there documentation somewhere that tells us how to get Photoshop to "see" the scanner. 

The computer is a brand new (a month old) iMac that came with LION.  We had to replace to replace the old scanner becsause it was not supported in LION (supposedly the one we just bought is).

Marty

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2011 5:21 PM   in reply to chessgeek

Did you install the optional TWAIN plugin for Photoshop?

And did you read about why the TWAIN plugin is optional and why you should probably scan outside of Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 12:25 PM   in reply to chessgeek

chessgeek wrote:

Are there scanners out there that Photoshop CS5.1 version 12.1 for Macintosh will just recognize without all the intervention by an I.T. person.  Will Photoshop allow scanning from within the application with any scanner?  (the user thinks we should just get another scanner)

It's important to understand that scanning into Photoshop is not directly between Photoshop and the scanner (hardware). The entire process depends on what scanning software mediates between Photoshop and the scanner. Photoshop just sits there and waits for software to hand it an image. The scanner just sits there and waits for some software to ask for a scan. So it should not be necessary to change the scanner itself. Instead, try changing the scanning software.

When the software that comes with the scanner doesn't do what someone wants, sometimes they turn to third-party scanning software. I use VueScan, which has historically run as a separate application, but recently added the option to be launched from within Photoshop as a plug-in and return the image straight into Photoshop, just like she wants. As long as your scanner is on the supported list, this is a possible solution. But it'll cost a little money.

VueScan is an good example of how critical software is to scanning. Many people use VueScan to get around limitations of the bundled software. Sometimes they want more features than the scanner's own software came with. Sometimes they need it because the bundled software no longer works in the latest Mac or Windows OS, so it lets people keep running old scanners for many more years, instead of having to buy a new one.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 12:44 PM   in reply to Conrad Chavez

Very well put, of course.  I'd just add that the cost of VueScan really is "little money", very little money for what the application does and how exemplary its support by its author is.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 12:44 PM   in reply to chessgeek

Your user never really scanned within Photoshop, chessgeek.  She merely tied up Photoshop while the plug-in called on the scanner software to do its job.  That's all.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 4:25 PM   in reply to chessgeek

VueScan_plugin.jpg

Click on thumbnail above for full-size image.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 4:53 PM   in reply to chessgeek

No commission at all here, chessgeek.  I have no connection to Ed Hamrick other than that of a satisfied and eternally grateful customer.

Quit commenting on the cost of the application already!  Even the professional version—which I also use—is less than $80, no more than a decent lunch for two.

As a comparison, the SilverFast version for my high-end tabloid transparency scanner runs about $700.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 4:59 PM   in reply to chessgeek

Your one concern now will be to keep checking for updates at least on a weekly basis.  Sometimes there will be more than one new (free) version in one week.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 4:31 PM   in reply to chessgeek

Im also a mac user (and a new one at that) I need to think about VueScan. However if there is anyway possible to get a free alternative, Id like to look into it. After buying my Mac, I can't even really spare that little cost for a while. Or for other out there, is it a case of "getting what you pay for"?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 4:56 PM   in reply to Ilkhan28

The only free alternative would be whatever stand-alone scanning software comes bundled with your scanner or the TWAIN plug-in that comes with said software.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points