Skip navigation
WhateverAXsTwo
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom won't open....

Nov 30, 2011 11:20 AM

Tags: #lightroom #won't_launch #3.5

I transferred a few years worth of photos to an external drive in order to make room for new photos. Now my Lightroom won't open at all. I shot a wedding two weeks ago and would like to be able to work in LR so I can give the bride a little peek at what she has to look forward to when I'm done processing her wedding photos. It's my first wedding shoot and I really want to impress.

Whenever i try to open my Lightroom, a dialogue box pops up that says:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom-Select Catalog

Select a recent catalogue to open.

It gives me the option to choose a different cataloge or to create a new catalogue but when I try a window pops up sayng Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 64-bit has stopped working. Close program.

I don't know what to do. Can someone please advise?

Thank you....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2011 2:02 PM   in reply to WhateverAXsTwo

One possibility is that you moved the catalog when you transferred your photos to the external drive. Or you moved it by other means.

The messages that you get are an indication that LR doesn't find the catalog it used to work with.

You have to find the catalog LR worked with when it last opened.

The catalog is a file with the ending <.lrcat>.

See here where it is normally found in various OS: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84313.html

When you find this file double-click it and LR should open with it.

WW

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Dec 6, 2011 3:39 PM   in reply to web-weaver

Thank you for this helpful information! I ran into the same problem and realized I had deleted the catalog when I moved files out of lightroom.

Now, however, Lightroom is saying that the catalog is corrupted, and that it is unable to be read. I have tried clicking "repair" but it keeps telling me it won't work and the file can't be found. Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2011 4:09 PM   in reply to Laura Rowe

Laura,

Have you looked in your Recycle Bin / Trash Bin? You probably know that "deleted" files can sit for a long time in the Recycle Bin / Trash Bin until the Bin gets emptied.

If it's still there restore it and double-click it after  restoring it.

WW

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points