Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can you create a form that you can save to disk?

Dec 3, 2011 9:36 AM

I created a form for a client. While testing, I got a prompt that the file cannot be saved when completed. It can only be printed. What I'm trying to do is create an estimate form for my client he can fill and save. He then can email or print the form to get client approval. Thanks in advance.

 
Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,651 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2011 10:27 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

    The document has to be Reader-enabled in order for Reader users to be able to save it. Exactly how you do this depends on what version of Acrobat you're using:

     

    Acrobat 9: Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader

    Acrobat 10: File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features

     

    But note that you cannot do this for your client, apart from testing purposes, due to Acrobat's licensing restrictions. They will need to do this with their copy of Acrobat. It is part of the "No Service Bureau" section of the license. I never sell Reader-enabled documents to my clients because of this restriction and inform them up front of what they need to do to Reader-enable documents.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2011 10:35 AM   in reply to Mr. Met

    You need to extend Reader rights.

     

    See: http://screencast.com/t/KSxwLkVEgZK0

     

    When rights are extended, they have ability to then to save and email up to 500 times.

     

    If they need indefinite ability Then they need to use LiveCycle Designer and be prepared to pay 4 arms and 10 legs for the service. Only the Fortune 100 comapanies acan afford the service.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2011 12:20 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

    But the client would have to use their own version of Acrobat to enable the form as to not violate the terms of use.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2011 1:46 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

    Phillip Jones wrote:

     

    If they need indefinite ability Then they need to use LiveCycle Designer and be prepared to pay 4 arms and 10 legs for the service. Only the Fortune 100 comapanies acan afford the service.

    No, they need a product called LiveCycle Rights Management ES, not LiveCycle Designer.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2011 4:46 PM   in reply to Mr. Met

    If I understand Mr. Met correctly his client only wants to send out the form so that people with Adobe Reader can fill out the form, possibly save it with the changes, and then return it electronically or via paper to the client with their approval.  You can build a form in Acrobat 9 or X and then as George stated enable Reader rights which gives them the power to save the PDF form and also apply a digital signature to authorize their approval.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2011 5:13 PM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

    try67 wrote:

     

    Phillip Jones wrote:

     

    If they need indefinite ability Then they need to use LiveCycle Designer and be prepared to pay 4 arms and 10 legs for the service. Only the Fortune 100 comapanies acan afford the service.

    No, they need a product called LiveCycle Rights Management ES, not LiveCycle Designer.

     

    I am Corrected my apologizes. In order to use it, don't you have to LiveCycle designer to create it which is PC only?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2011 8:04 AM   in reply to Kyoshiro13

    But Kyoshiro13. Is that not against the EULA? They way I read it (and the way it was explained to me) was that it is for personal use and cannot be used for client forms (unless it's an internal "client" at the company that owns the license).

    Kyoshiro13 wrote:

     

    If I understand Mr. Met correctly his client only wants to send out the form so that people with Adobe Reader can fill out the form, possibly save it with the changes, and then return it electronically or via paper to the client with their approval.  You can build a form in Acrobat 9 or X and then as George stated enable Reader rights which gives them the power to save the PDF form and also apply a digital signature to authorize their approval.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2011 12:39 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

    Hello graffiti,

     

    You can send out as many forms as you wish however you can only collect responses from 500 recipients according to the EULA:

     

     

    16.8.3 For any unique Extended Document you may only either (a) Deploy such Extended Document to an unlimited number of unique recipients but shall not extract information from more than five hundred (500) unique instances of such Extended Document or any hardcopy representation of such Extended Document containing filled form fields; or (b) Deploy such Extended Document to no more than five hundred (500) unique recipients without limits on the number of times you may extract information from such Extended Document returned to you filled-in by such recipients. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, obtaining additional licenses to use Acrobat Standard, Acrobat Pro, or Adobe Acrobat Suite shall not increase the foregoing limits (that is, the foregoing limits are the aggregate total limits regardless of how many additional licenses to use Acrobat Standard, Acrobat Pro, or Adobe Acrobat Suite you may have obtained).

    If Mr. Met is going to receive back in excess of 500 responses then indeed he would need to get the Reader server product.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2011 1:04 PM   in reply to Kyoshiro13

    I know about that part, thanks. I was of the understanding that you had to actually own an acrobat license to be eligable to collect that data. In other words, you could not use your version of Acrobat to create an enabled PDF for a completely different company's use.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points