Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Relinking no longer auto-selects the file

Dec 7, 2011 3:49 PM

Tags: #relink #mac #indesign_cs5.5 #10.7.2 #auto-select

I've noticed something since upgrading to CS 5.5 that has created a minor inconvenience for me, and I was wondering if it was a preference I can change.

Previously, if you open an InDesign document that had missing links, you could click "relink", navigate to the correct folder, and voilà! it would find the file inside that folder and select it for you. This was immensely handy when you had a folder with several hundred files and yours happened to be named something that was somewhere in the middle. Now, with CS 5.5, you can navigate to the correct folder but then you have to manually find the file and select it yourself.

I know it probably sounds like I'm being a whiny baby about this, and I probably am, but I'd really like to get this function back if possible. We have hundreds of thousands of images that are 'organized' by someone who is organizationally challenged, so we have folders with several thousands of photos, all named IMG_XXXXX. Finding IMG_51728 when the list goes from IMG_00230 to IMG_91748 can be a serious headache.

As a thought, though, this may be a Lion-based problem and not an InDesign problem, as Lion does not allow me to perform finder searches on external hard drives that aren't formatted to it's liking, and reformatting these drives are not an option. However I also run into this problem with files linked on my hard drive as well as externals.

Anyone know if there's a fix?

For the record, I'm using InDesign CS5.5 on a MacBook Pro, running OSX 10.7.2

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2011 4:05 PM   in reply to GoaliGrlTilDeath

In the preferences under file hanling, set the default relink location to original location, not most recent location.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 1:57 AM   in reply to GoaliGrlTilDeath

Unfortunately, that's true. It's changed behavior, and I don't know if it's a bug, or by design because of requests by large volume users. It IS annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 3:06 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Noticed this morning there was an update for Extension Manger for CS5 and CS5.5 of Lion users.

Could be something to do with that? But unlikely?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 3:10 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

I doubt it. You and I have the same problem on Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 3:11 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

And since when are you looking at Lion updates?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 3:19 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I've never had that problem. Windows XP.

It doesn't highlight the file - but it links to it just fine.

I just select "Ok" and it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 3:22 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Eugene Tyson wrote:

I've never had that problem. Windows XP.

It doesn't highlight the file - but it links to it just fine.

I just select "Ok" and it works.

Now THAT'S interesting. I'll have to try that.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 3:25 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

To my knowledge no files are highlighted. But it will give a hint if the link was found in the Title Bar - as far as I recall.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to GoaliGrlTilDeath

This happens when you upgrade to Lion, I have the same behaviour with CS4.

The code that used to read the filename, select the correct file and highlight appears to be broken in Lion.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to GoaliGrlTilDeath

Andrew is correct. I was using 5.5 on OS 10.6 up until a week ago, and was not experiencing any problems. Then , I got a new Mac, with 10.7 on it, and it no longer finds the images.  This is really quite annoying. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to Sean Larkin

Don't blame ID. Apple changed the way they handle file paths in 10.7.x and any app using the old file handling will have this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 1:33 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

I don't think Sean's pointing the finger at Adobe Larry, most who are using Lion after Snow Leopard will be experiencing a level of frustration with the multitude of changes/performance issues/problems/thing's that don't work any more and work out that it's at system level. What's more worrying is it's unlikely that issues like this will get patched from either side for older software versions. Hopefully Adobe can work round this OS change for the current version though.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yeah I've done that and it works for me to.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Actually Larry, I'm not blaming ID. I'm not blaming Apple either. I'm blaming you. You, Larry G. Schneider, and you alone are the sole reason my ID no longer finds images when I try to relink them!   haha. Obviously just joking, Larry. I'm with you, I don't think it's ID at all. I don't really feel that mad at Apple either, so long as the change to the file handling was done for legit reason. It's just something that ID will catch up to with an update, or just in the next version.

I do feel validated in a sense. The new Mac was purchased and sitting in my office for about 6 weeks, waiting to opened. I was in the middle of our 2012 master catalog work, and knew well enough to finish that first, before dealing with a new mac and new OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Interestingly although ID can't detect the file when the browser window is first opened, it will detect any other missing files that are in there once the first is confirmed, thank God, this would be an utter production disaster if every image in the job had to be manually relinked. Could you explain how this process works Larry and in what way Apple has changed the file path handling? Is it just a change in the path string spec?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to GoaliGrlTilDeath

GoaliGrlTilDeath wrote:

I think my original post was pointing a finger at Adobe, though I've realized since that I should, by default, point fingers at Lion My first experience with CS5 was on a brand new MBP that shipped with Lion, and it was also my first experience with Lion. At that point I hadn't realized how buggy/different Lion was and had assumed it was a software problem instead of an OS problem. Now I know better!

I thought your initial post was a very well balanced piece of fingerpointing .

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to Andrew Kinnear

You might look at this from the scripting forum. Most of it's above me

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/959112

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Feb 28, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

You might look at this from the scripting forum. Most of it's above me

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/959112

Larry, the behavior outlined in that thread (ExtendScript Oddity with File/Folder on Mac OS X) applies to both 10.6 and 10.7. It's not really comparable to the problems we're talking about int his thread...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 3:08 AM   in reply to Andrew Kinnear

most who are using Lion after Snow Leopard will be experiencing a level of frustration with the multitude of changes/performance issues/problems/thing's that don't work any more and work out that it's at system level.

@GoaliGrl, after re-reading this in the context of your original post I realise that it sounds very patronising indeed. Sincere apologies for my literary clumsiness and any annoyance caused.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to GoaliGrlTilDeath

It definitely is a problem with Adobe. My work computer has been the same for the last 3 years and InDesign CS4 always linked to the correct file after navigating to the folder. We recently went to CS6 and CC versions and BAM, no linking. Nothing has changed with my computer and it's not on Lion so it has to be Adobe becuase that's the only thing that has changed. Boo yeah. BTW has anybody fixed this issue yet? I have this and many more complaints with Adobe at the moment like WTF happened with your tabs?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to smallFRY!

I BELIEVE THE ISSUE IS WITH THE OS, NOT WITH INDESIGN.

I have one machine running snow and 5.5. It automatically highlights the file name of the missing link once you navigate to the folder.

My other machine is running lion and 5.5 and 6. In neither InDesign 5.5, nor InDesign 6, does the file name automatically highlight.

If this was a feature tied to ID 5.5, then it should continue to do so in Lion, which it does not.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to dcustomped

I called Adobe twice and both times they told me that they took this feature out after CS5 so 6 and CC do not have it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to smallFRY!

Like I said, it does work in CS 5.5.

What reason did Adobe give, each of the times you called, for removing that feature?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Aug 12, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to dcustomped

I'm sorry to say, I don't think you can really take as truth anything you get ffrom Adobe phone support

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 9:06 AM   in reply to GoaliGrlTilDeath

Does anyone see this feature coming back in a version of CC? It was really quite useful and can't think of one possible reason why it would be removed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 9:42 AM   in reply to dave c courtemanche

Nobody here can say, for sure. Have you filed a feature request?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 10:02 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

The behavior I’m seeing is that when you select the folder, while the file isn’t selected, that doesn’t matter. If you click open, it will find any missing files in that folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 2:05 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

That’s correct Bob and that behaviour is fine for the purpose which it is intended i.e to relink when a job has moved in the filesystem or across workstations. The file selection/highlighting behaviour may just have been a quirk but it was a useful one in some specific scenarios. Mine was (magazine production workflow):

Images are placed by a layout artist in the format they are supplied (usually JPGs). The job folder is then passed to a prepress operator to perform finished cutouts and retouching. They output a corrected PSD into the same job’s images folder. They alt+tab to Indesign, select the image and got to Relink. The app file browser window opens and the linked JPEG is highlighted. Immediately above/below it is the matching new PSD (if they’re sorted by name). It therefore becomes far less likely that the operator will select the wrong file to relink because of the new PSD’s immediate proximity to the JPG.

With no highlighting the operator has to scroll/search for the file visually (with one eye on the window title bar to get the ridiculously long but fabulously descriptive filename :) to relink and this not only slows them down but also greatly increases the possibility of a selection error without the visual cue.

This may sound like a trivial gripe, but when some layouts contain large numbers of images, some of which are visually similar (and therefore can not easily be spotted shifting when the Relink is committed) it becomes an issue.

To be fair to Adobe:

1. This is not a normal scenario for the vast majority of users.

2. It was probably only a happy accident that files were highlighted in the first place.

Anyway I have a workaround. I asked my picture editor to convert all images to PSD before they’re placed :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 4:22 PM   in reply to Andrew Kinnear

Have you tried "Relink File Extension" from the links panel menu?

Choose the link and then open the panel menu and choose it.

relink.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 4:54 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob,

When I navigate to the folder, the "Open" command is still grayed out. It doesn't  become active until I select a file to relink.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 6:15 PM   in reply to dave c courtemanche

Well, that's strange. I just tried it on my Mac and sure enough open is

grayed out. On Windows it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 3:52 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Having the same problem myself with catalogue production. Just tried highlighting ALL images in my Links panel and going to 'Relink to Folder...' from the top-right pull out menu. On the new window I selected the right folder and clicked 'Match same filename and extension' and then clicked 'Choose'. This re-linked all the files in one go. I don't know if this helps with the initial query but it seems to have solved my problems. Hope this helps....

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 4:21 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks Bob, I looked at this initially as a solution and it would work perfectly but unfortunately our workflow historically specifies that the text "_REPRO" is appended to the filename after retouching in order to indicate that the image has been processed. This then defeats the File Extension function as the name no longer matches. On balance it's better for us to spend a bit more time re-linking manually than to lose this visual indicator. Thanks again for the suggestion though.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 4:45 AM   in reply to Andrew M Kinnear

Sorry Andrew, I was responding to the initial post's query, not your specific issue. I wish you luck but it doesn't look like there's a quick solution out there.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points