Skip navigation
755scrabblematt
Currently Being Moderated

Camera Raw NOT applying the changes???

Dec 9, 2011 9:19 AM

I am finding that some times camera raw is not applying the changes i have made to the images when i click done.  It does work most of the time but then sometimes it doesn't.  Can anyone help me on this???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2011 6:40 AM   in reply to 755scrabblematt

In order for us to help you, you'll need to provide a more detailed description of the steps to reproduce the problem. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 3:41 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

The problem reported about sounds similar to the problem I reported on Dec. 5. The problem seem to fix itself so I went on BUT I am having the problem again and this time pressing "done" does not link the .xmp file to the RAW file.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 25, 2011 3:28 AM   in reply to 755scrabblematt

I invited a user that reported the issue on the Photoshop forum, to bring relevant infos in this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2011 8:05 AM   in reply to 755scrabblematt

Have you applied all of the PS/Bridge/ACR updates since installing?

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to 755scrabblematt

same problem using canon eos 60d firmware 1.1.0

camera raw 6.6

Bridge 4.0.5.11

windows 7 professional sp1 64 bit

the problem occurs only with .cr2 files from the 60d. All .jpg files or raw files from my old 350d are working like they should

all files are copied to HDD and got full rights.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to sejobaba

sejobaba wrote:

same problem using canon eos 60d firmware 1.1.0

camera raw 6.6

Bridge 4.0.5.11

windows 7 professional sp1 64 bit

the problem occurs only with .cr2 files from the 60d. All .jpg files or raw files from my old 350d are working like they should

all files are copied to HDD and got full rights.

I have the same configuration and had the same problem. I am not sure if this solved my problem (at least for now), but after I changed my Anti-Virus from NOD to AVG, ACR saves and reads the XMP files.

Here are two XMP files which ACR created when the problem occured - http://www.mediafire.com/file/ychg1h4401a3nhy/IMG_4720_Before.xmp and when it worked OK - http://www.mediafire.com/file/431uagib5jc0gvo/IMG_4720_After.xmp . For the seconf one I changed the Camera profile to be sure that ACR works

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Orhan Chakarov

I have the same problem, but I can manually load the xmp-file to affect the image - except the image has been rated. In this case ACR says there is no ACR-data within the xmp-file.

I have been working with the same camera and computer drives as before, and everything worked fine until today.

Windows 7, 64 bit

CS 5 kept up to date

Nikon-RAW (NEF) from D300s

Fehrum

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 11:58 PM   in reply to 755scrabblematt

I have the same problem also. It's on and off with no consistent reason. It's driving me bananas.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.8

ACR 6.6

Images from Canon 60D and Powershot G12

I am not techie enough to know what is happening, but the .xml file does get modified when I make the changes and hit done, and shows them (as best as I can tell) if I open the .xml file in a text editor. However, they don't show up on screen, no icon that reflects there have been changes like you typically see with raw files that have those and I can't open the file in any way that shows those changes occured.

Would love to see someone respond if they have any info on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to 755scrabblematt

A little update. The problem is back, again .

For now I save all my images to DNG's and then make the edits ...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to 755scrabblematt

I'm using Max Os 10.6.8. and Photoshop CS5, Bridge 4.0.5.11 and Camera Raw 6.7.

My camera is Nikon D800e, I save the files on local hard disk. When I edit a file and click Done, the xmp file gets created but neither Bridge nor Camera Raw recognizes it and the file behaves like no .xmp file existed.

Only way to actually do any work on my files is to convert them from .nef into .dng in which case everything starts to work again.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to Hurmeli

You are opening an NEF in ACR 6.7, doing adjustments, then clicking Done, then reopening the file in ACR 6.7 and you don’t see the adjustments applied? 

Or is some other non-Adobe product creating the XMP file, initially?  It is unclear where the first “I edit a file” occurs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 5:33 AM   in reply to ssprengel

I open the files in ACR 6.7 do the adjustments and then I click Done.

I don't use any other software on the files, they are directly from the CF card after shooting.

Trying to copy Develop Settings from another raw file (raw file from the time it still worked as it was suppose to) also does nothing.

It's like there is no connection between the .raw and .xmp file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Hurmeli

I'm having the exact same issue.

I import the raw (.NEF) photos from my Nikon D90 via Nikon Transfer.

I open Adobe Bridge 4.0.5.11 on my MacBook OSX 10.5.8

I double click the photo to open up Camera Raw 6.7

I do play around with adjustments

I either click done but usually just press enter once I'm ready to open the file in Photoshop CS5

The adjustments have been made except the little logo thats usually above the image in Bridge is no longer present and the adjustments did not save onto the image. An .XMP file has been created but nothing shows in Bridge the way it did in the past.

I've been doing the exact same process for many years except the settings that were changed on the raw file were applied and saved to the image. You can clearly see the changes once saved even as a thumbnail within Bridge. But now this no longer happens and this is the first time I've encountered such an annoying issue. There must be some type of keyboard short cut that I accidently pressed but I have no clue what it may be.

Does anyone know what the deal is?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to mikeschmeee

I suddenly seemed to start having a similar problem with ACR on PSE 9 and Canon RAW files (CR2): sometimes opening a CR2 file in ACR the changes I previously made were lost and other times they were intact with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

After hunting the forums and finding no definitive answer I discovered that it appears (for my situation) to be down to the modified date/time stamp. It appears that when opening a CR2 file in ACR if the XMP file has a modified date/time stamp that is prior to the date/time stamp for the CR2 file then the XMP sidecar is not read. On those files where the XMP file was not being read, I believe I had made changes in ACR and then subsequently revisited the CR2 files in the Canon DPP raw processor and saved them again thus giving a later modified date/time stamp for the CR2 file than the XMP file.

I found the simple solution to apply the previouly made changes that were not being read was simply to open the XMP file in Notepad and then save it again, thus ensuring the XMP file had a laster modified date/time than the CR2, before opening it in ACR. Seems to work for me. Hope this helps someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to Nofydd

Thanks so much, Nofydd! This was what was causing the problem for me. I couldn't understand why using the same process as I've done with the same camera and the same version of Adobe Bridge would suddenly cause this problem--Bridge creating an XMP file but not seeming to save any changes applied.

In my case, the camera's internal stored date and time did not change when daylights saving time happened. So the camera's time was one hour ahead of the real time. I took some photos at home and tried to edit them right away. Adobe Bridge created the XMP files but now the XMP files have an earlier creation date than the RAW files and were being ignored. Using the notepad trick you mentioned worked like a charm for me.

I hope others see your reply. Thanks for figuring this out. It was driving me batty.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points