Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DVD Remote "skip" Function Doesn't Work for Blu-ray Projects (CS5 Encore)

Dec 9, 2011 6:01 PM

Tags: #blu-ray #encore #remote #skip #chapter_point

I have graduated from SD to HD and I need help.

I just finished my first HD project in CS5, burned it to a Blu-ray disk and immediately encountered a problem: the skip forward and the skip backward remote functions don’t work. (I have encountered several other problems on the way to get here but I solved those with the help of the manual and by browsing this forum ). In this project, I am doing exactly what I have done in my previous SD projects (where this function works):

1. In CS5 Encore, I added “Chapter Points at Intervals…”.
  2. On the timeline Properties Panel, I kept the default selection “Operations: All Permitted” (that includes “Search for Chapter” in the “Permitted User Operations” menu).
  3. In the “Project Preview” window, clicking on the “Next Chapter” or “Previous Chapter”, the function is executed correctly.

Still, after burning the blu-ray disk and pressing the “skip forward” or “skip backward” buttons on the Blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD65) remote, the “Operation is not permitted” message appears. (This very remote button function works on all my SD projects.)

More background info: I am also using Encore Chapter Markers from the PrPro project linked with Adobe Dynamic Link, chapter marker End Actions (Jeff’s The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0, pp. 178-180), and Bill’s advice on using the “dip to black” transition to avoid the ~1 second gap between chapters in the Chapter Playlist that I use to play all chapters.  The following observation may be unrelated: in Encore’s Monitor Panel, the “Step Forward” button with pressing the Alt key does not move the CTI to the next GOP mark. The “Step Forward” or “Step Backward” functions (without pressing the Alt key) work (moving the CTI one frame)..

At this point, I desperately need the Forum’s help.

Thanks,

- Laci.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2011 7:24 PM   in reply to LaciG

Chapter playlists do not work in Encore BD.

Using a plain timeline with chapters added (no end actions, except for the timeline), I just did a quick test bd. Skip forward/backward works on my player.

Interesting, the Alt-Frame advance does not advance by gop. This was a DL timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2011 8:55 AM   in reply to LaciG

Encore should correctly place the interval chapters even after transcoding.

You must tell Encore to "Revert to Original" if you do want to retranscode.

Let us know on the chapter playlist in blurary: I think you will find they do not work.In bluray, you must use the method you used for SD.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2011 10:47 AM   in reply to LaciG

Let us know!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2011 5:25 PM   in reply to LaciG

I built a project, where I used the Adobe Dynamic Link to import PrPro sequences from several different PrPro projects. The import worked for a while, then stopped. I had to export the sequences first from the different PrPro projects, and the import them into Encore. (Importing several sequences from the same PrPro project always work.) Is this a bug, by design, or my fault?

I had at least one Encore project in which I DL'd sequences from over a dozen different Premiere projects. (This was in CS5; some of the projects had been created and edited in CS4. I had to open the projects in CS5, save, and DL to the CS5 version.) One project/sequence consistently would stall EN when the EN project was opened after that sequence was added to the EN project. The workaround was to open that project in PR before opening the EN project.

But I have found no issue using DL with multiple PR projects in the same EN project.

I can imagine this to be done by building either a new Encore project (and link all sequences to this project), or build a new PrPro project from the three separate PrPro projects.

I would try the direct method before creating a complicated workaround. I think that should work.

I'll note that there are a number of users who seem to not get good results with DL. I have not experimented with this enough, but I think they are often using HD PR projects for SD EN projects, and experiencing a variety of problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2011 12:01 PM   in reply to LaciG

I am using HD PrPro projects in HD Encore projects but I would like to burn some of them to a DVD instead of a BD.

Would it work?

Yes, but...

You may need to export from PR as mpeg2-DVD rather than DLing.

But I would try DL first and see.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 3:14 PM   in reply to LaciG

Laci,

I did not see it listed above, and if so, I apologize. For highest quality, when going to SD from an HD Project, Jeff Bellune has published this TUTORIAL. You might find it useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 7:29 PM   in reply to LaciG

I will check it out but I am not there yet. I just finished this HD project and most (but not all) of the "cross dissolve" and "dip to black" transitions are jerky/rugged playing back on the (high quality) Panasonic DVD player and plasma TV. They are smooth in both the PrPro and Encore projects.

used the default transcode settings to this project settings "Codec: MPEG-2; Dimensions: 1920 x 1080; Frame Rate: 29.97; Fields: Upper Field First... Maximum Audio/Video Bitrate 15.0 Mbps". (This is basically my first HD project, and I try using the simplest and most straitforward settings throughout the project.)

What are you trying to do with this step? You describe playing a DVD, but making HDE files, presumably for a BD.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 8:03 PM   in reply to LaciG

Right now, I am struggling with these rugged transitions.

My point is that if you are importing HD material into Encore and building a DVD (which means Encore is re-transcoding it), you are asking for problems. Is that what you are doing?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 7:09 AM   in reply to LaciG

I want to burn a Blu-ray disk.

I was responding to your saying that you were playing from a DVD player, not a Bluray player. So I assumed you had exported as HD, brought those into  Encore, and then allowed Encore to retranscode as SD.

If that was using SD assets exported from Premiere, then you are on track, and now trying to bring HD assets over to Encore. I just wanted to be clear which version you were working on. And also what the SD results were, if you had already done that part.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 10:34 AM   in reply to LaciG

This is my HD project. My problem is that I am a bit confused with

the proper (and simple) settings for a blu-ray project.

Okay. And I get your workflow, except that I think you don't say so in post 17, but are using dynamic link to get the PR sequence to Encore, right?

How are you observing the output of your HD effort? You said before "I just finished this HD project and most (but not all) of the "cross dissolve" and "dip to black" transitions are jerky/rugged playing back on the (high quality) Panasonic DVD player and plasma TV. They are smooth in both the PrPro and Encore projects." You can't test the BD on a DVD player. So before we conclude that you don't have a good result, let's be clear on what your test method is.

Generally on a BD project, you want to use H.264 not MPEG2.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 5:55 PM   in reply to LaciG

Use the same short bits and check it out. Generally, for the movies at least, I understand H.264 to be preferred.

I think the recent recommendation has been to keep it as you shot it: prgressive or interlaced, but I defer to someone who has compared both options.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points