• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Effects using Object Layer Options

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Object Layer Options I would love to be able to apply effects to individual layers. If I can view / turn "off" or "on" individuals layers, then why not be able to apply effects as well?

For instance: say I have an image of an apple photographed on a white background, that includes a cast shadow, and I want to place that image on a colored background in InDesign. In Photoshop, I would build the file so the clipped apple is on layer 1. The cast shadow would be on layer 2 below.

When placed in InDesign, and using Object Layer Options, it would be great if I could set layer 1 to "normal" and layer 2 to "multiply"... thus having only the cast shadow multiplied to the colored background.

Currently my method would be to place the same apple image twice in InDesign (directly on top of each other). I then use Object Layer Options to hide the cast shadow on the top image and keep the object effect set at normal. For the bottom image, I set the entire image to multiply. I then group the two images together.

Not a tedious task by any means, but having the ability to apply different layer effects to a single image would streamline the process.

BTW: does Adobe review the Feature Requests posted in this forum, or only those posted using their wishform address?: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

Just curious.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can place the photoshop file of the layered apple image within InDesign and InDesign will retain the each layer's properties. So the if the apple is 100% opaque in the PSD file and the shadow has an opacity of 50%, then the placed PSD file will have a solid apple and a 50% transparent shadow in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen that technique used if the shadow is built using black ink only. Does it still work if the shadow is a process blend?

From: jblay-design <forums@adobe.com<mailto:forums@adobe.com>>

Reply-To: "jive-784968040-kq2m-2-2fg4m@mail.forums.adobe.com<mailto:jive-784968040-kq2m-2-2fg4m@mail.forums.adobe.com>" <jive-784968040-kq2m-2-2fg4m@mail.forums.adobe.com<mailto:jive-784968040-kq2m-2-2fg4m@mail.forums.adobe.com>>

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:56:11 -0700

To: Christopher Lowe <clowe@melaleuca.com<mailto:clowe@melaleuca.com>>

Subject: Effects using Object Layer Options

Re: Effects using Object Layer Options

created by jblay-design<http://forums.adobe.com/people/jblay-design> in InDesign Feature Requests - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4079974#4079974

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it'll still work. It'll work in CMYK or RGB as well.

It's pretty cool. I never place tiffs anymore for any project. I primarily use PSDs for print and web projects now just for that reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Won't a reduced opacity shadow look differently than a shadow that is multiplied to the background? Or do they still look pretty much the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiply effects in PSD images does not work well in InDesign. I had a white glow when i printed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same workflow as ceelau. Attached: The top car is a Photoshop image with two layers. One with a cut out car and the other not cut out and with the Multiply attribute applied. InDesign is not honoring the Multiplied layer.

The bottom car has two photos, stacked: one with the clipped car and the other not clipped and Multiplied in InDesign. This is the desired look I would like to achieve with one Photoshop image.

I must be missing something. It seems basic that InDesign should honor the Multiply Object Layer created in Photoshop.

Can anyone help on this topic?

Screen Shot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines