Skip navigation
ralegates
Currently Being Moderated

can't print booklet to PDF?

Dec 12, 2011 4:55 PM

I am using InDesign CS5 (7.0.3) on Mac OSX 10.6.8.

I've created a short 12-page document, 5.5"x8.5", and I want to print it 2-up so it will fit on letter-size paper that I can fold and staple. Simple, right?

I can't figure out how to print it as a PDF.

I go to "print booklet" and the options are either to print to my printer, or to print to "PostScript File," which I select and I end up with a .ps file.

Then I open Acrobat Distiller and drag the file to the window, where it is turned into a PDF file.

BUT...the resulting PDF file has all the text printed portrait instead of landscape, and most of it is cut off. Not what I wanted.

I've been through every dialogue box I can find, and I don't see any settings to change the orientation of the page for the .ps or .pdf file. The print preview looks perfect.

How do I fix this? Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2011 5:00 PM   in reply to ralegates

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2011 5:39 PM   in reply to ralegates
    Some articles I've read give me instructions on where to put my PPD file, but not on how to obtain a PPD file (I've searched my computer and the web with no luck). Either I'm clueless (definitely a possibility) or the instructions are lacking.

The article to which you linked told you pretty clearly where you could find that PPD, assuming that you have installed Acrobat 9 at some point in the past.

If you do not have Acrobat 9 installed, then why don't you search Google for "ADPDF9.PPD"? It's the second link. And, because you ask us to spell it out: you'll want to right-click on the link and choose Save Link As, and make sure you save it with that name - ADPDF9.PPD.

However, given the length of the document (it's really short), then I have another suggestion for you - do it manually. No, seriously! I'm assuming that your source document is already at the "letter-half" page size. What you can do is:

1) Fold up some paper so that you have a 12-page booklet. Write page numbers so you know which panel goes where, when you...

2) Unfold that paper. See, now you can see exactly what is going on under the hood!

3) Make a new, empty portrait-orientation letter-size InDesign document.

4) Using your handy key that you made in steps 1 and 2, place your letter-half content-having InDesign file into your empty InDesign file. (Yes, you can place ID file 1 into ID file 2 and it will behave like an image.)

This feels like a lot of work, but it's work that will not simply vanish the next time that somebody at Adobe or Apple decides to change the way that PDFs or printers work. Also, you'll get a better understanding of what goes on during imposition, and you'll have easily editable files. Make changes to the source file, update the links in your target booklet INDD, and you're ready to go!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 4:06 AM   in reply to ralegates

For Print Booklet this is now a two-step process. FIRST print to postscript file using the ADPDF9.PPD printer description, then open distiller and distill the file. you must have a full version of Acrobat installed to have distiller avaialable.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 8:35 AM   in reply to ralegates

I'm on PC, so I don't see your dialogs, but if the ppd is properly loccated, it should be in the dropdown in the print dialog when making the postscript. Is it not there? Where did you put the ppd file?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 8:58 AM   in reply to ralegates

Two possibilities here. It may not be clear from the instructions that the name of your new folder should not include the quotation marks. Rebooting may also be necessary, certainly can't hurt.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 9:16 AM   in reply to ralegates

ppd files are just text. If you open Text Edit, can you open the ppd file and read it? the first line or two should look something like

*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"

*% Adobe Systems PostScript(R) Printer Description File

*% Copyright 1987-2004 Adobe Systems Incorporated.

*% All Rights Reserved.

I am NOT the best person here to troubleshoot this -- I don't own a Mac of my own.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 11:38 AM   in reply to ralegates

I've sent you a private message with a download link to the file on YouSendit...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 11:50 AM   in reply to ralegates

That's strange, it only had one extension when it left here...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points