Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is Adobe dumping Flash Catalyst?

Dec 14, 2011 6:34 AM

Will Adobe be integrating Catalyst design feature with flash builder or Will Adobe improve on FC  to support mobile application ui design  & workflow improvement with flash builder? Please I need to know so that I can decide whether to stay loyal to FC or move on. Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 14, 2011 10:12 AM   in reply to topelovely

At the recent Flex Summit, Adobe annouced that they are no longer developing Flash Catalyst, nor will future versions of Flash Builder contain a design view.

Chris Griffith

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 1:06 PM   in reply to topelovely

Take a listen to this podcast from Nerd Radio interviewing Michael Labriola and Jon Campos (http://blog.nerdradio.com/post/14180140595/after-the-first-day-of-the- flex-community-summit). They touch on the demise of Flash Catalyst, as well as the events from the Flex summit.

The roadmap had Flash Catalyst being merged into Flash Builder 5.0. But this is now shelved.

The product still has use for prototypes and if you are working with the 4.5 sdk.

Rome is a whole different issue.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 11:00 AM   in reply to Chris W. Griffith

>At the recent Flex Summit, Adobe annouced that they are no longer developing Flash Catalyst,

No design view anymore , no catalyst ?? Than we leave the flex world ?

Source please

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2011 2:05 AM   in reply to daslicht

What about the whole Roundtrip Story ? Anf What about "Design Centric"? If we have no design view this would be a BIG step backwards.

It is absoulutely joyless to develop programatically only ?

Anyone else (Wakanda.org, Vaadin,  ZK, Microsoft Blend HTML, GoogleGWT... )concentrating on WYSIWYG and Adobe is moving away?

Any Dates ?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2011 2:10 AM   in reply to topelovely

>This is unfair.

I lost my trust in Adobe either.

From now on I try to avoid ADOBE products!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2011 9:16 AM   in reply to daslicht

I too, have the same concerns regarding Adobe Catalyst which I've become comfortable with. However, go to Adobe Labs and read about Adobe Edge (in Beta). You're allowed to download it for free and experiment... like myself, you just might be pleasantly surprised. To me, it seems that Adobe is replacing any new Flash-based apps with apps that are HTML5-based... yes, no? Anyway, there's also another app in Adobe Labs that you can download called Adobe Muse... pretty cool interactivity minus motion. Would love to see Edge and Muse merged into a single app.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2011 9:24 AM   in reply to efjo

There is also another solution called "Hype".

http://tumultco.com/hype/ <- cheap

or wakanda which can be found here: http://www.wakanda.org/features/studio <--FREE

muse + edge (with multiple scenes/states) + the ability to add custom code would be nice.

But the subscription pricing model of Muse is a abolut NO-Go

But Muse + Edge do NOT let you so easily create Webpages with dynamic content as it is possible with Catalyst + Flash Builder.

Creating JavaScript Widgets is less fun that creating skins with Catalyst and implement the logic in FB

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2011 9:36 AM   in reply to daslicht

Just bookmarked the Hype site... for $30, it seems like a steal. Unfortunately, I won't be able to demo it until after our busy holiday scedule. Have you used it? If so, your opinion, please. Not being technically saavy regarding under-the-hood specs such as Flash Actionscript vs HTML5, it seems that Adobe is following Apple's lead into dumping anything that has to do with Flash... at least, any new apps such as Catalyst.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 6:14 PM   in reply to topelovely

[ironic]so first i thought apple is the new M$ but now Adobe gets it ?, so which gets dropped next ? Flash ? Spry? FU?[/ironic]

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 4:34 AM   in reply to Chris W. Griffith

I'm very new to Adobe. A convert from the Visual Basic side wanting to develop professional development content for my school district. I've spent my winter vacation learning Catalyst as an experiment. Brings me to this forum and the apparent demise of a tool I have just come to love!  So goes life. I listened to the link you suggested. Thanks, really interesting view of the inner workings of concept development! 

On to my point. As a novice, I'm mystified about what "no longer developing" really means for Catalyst users. Since I use it as a stand alone application (glorified PPT....because that's where I'm coming from...) should I be greatly concerned about its death if I use it just as a learning interaction tool that is light enough for the web?

I had planned to convince my district to train a team of teachers to shift to Catalyst instead of PPT as we move to more in house, web-based teacher training. Integration with FB was only a  future  consideration. Have any thoughts about what direction we could take? Continue to explore current incarnation of Catalyst as a stand alone or abandon ship before we leave port? By the way, I have been using Captivate but I like Catalyst as a quick and easy replacement for PPT.

Thoughts from other members are greatly appreciated

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 4:42 AM   in reply to daslicht

Thanks for the post. I'm a novice who appreciates the "heads up" on web developer products.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to topelovely

I've used (or tried to use in real projects) Flash Catalyst extensively. It had some real promise, but VERY little actual use in real world projects.

I've been in the business long enough to have seen dozens of these types of products that attempt to bridge design and programming.. The problem with this is that it hard to make hard things simple. Invariably, the tools that attempt to do this become so complex themselves, you might as well be coding in the first place.

There are so many examples of this on the MS platform, with various "designers " tools that are really more marketing tools to convince managment to buy them to let business analysts and graphic designers feel all warm and cuddly that they can actually have role in the project.

The fact is that building interactive software requires many different skills and a properly managed team and frameworks that can be repeated on multiple projects, not fancy tools. In general, run far away from any products that say it will make something that is hard simple

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to edovum puttleri

In conjunction FC and FB are unbeatable. There "was" no replacement R.I.P

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to topelovely

I would argue FC and FB "could" have been, but never will actually were, or will be. I saw so much promise. Not having designer in FB is total crap. I manage a large team of FB/Flex developers and we have never been so productive. Adopting Flex increased our efficiency dramatically and allowed us to build much richer applications than would could have before.

HTML5 is not equal to Flex. I don't care how people try to spin it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to edovum puttleri

Alone that you could visually built spark skins is a nice thing

>HTML5 is not equal to Flex. I don't care how people try to spin it.

Exactly, looks like that only Marketing Guys or People who do not knw a thing about coding (like Steve Jobs) hype it.

OOP and Bulding LARGE RIAs is just tedious.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to topelovely

absolutely!

The only people who don't agree with this have never done both HTML/javascript AND Flex.

HTML/javascript is a Frankenmonster-hodgepodge-tinkertoy-cat_herding technologies loosely glued together under a buzword.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to edovum puttleri

excellent words:

I've used (or tried to use in real projects) Flash Catalyst extensively. It had some real promise, but VERY little actual use in real world projects.

I've been in the business long enough to have seen dozens of these types of products that attempt to bridge design and programming.. The problem with this is that it hard to make hard things simple. Invariably, the tools that attempt to do this become so complex themselves, you might as well be coding in the first place.

There are so many examples of this on the MS platform, with various "designers " tools that are really more marketing tools to convince managment to buy them to let business analysts and graphic designers feel all warm and cuddly that they can actually have role in the project.

The fact is that building interactive software requires many different skills and a properly managed team and frameworks that can be repeated on multiple projects, not fancy tools. In general, run far away from any products that say it will make something that is hard simple

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to nikos101

even some kind of wireframe design view,would be helpful

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers