Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I "Print Booklet" with just odd pages and even pages for duplexing . . options disabled

Dec 14, 2011 2:59 PM

I have InDesign CS5.5 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine hooked to a Xerox 7750 printer.  I have created a 8.5x11 portrait document and trying to create a booklet on 12x18 sheets.

I need to print duplex manually and so I need to print just the odd spreads and then the even spreads.

I have printed to Adobe PDF and printed from my created PDF file and have it working, but I want to know why InDesign won't let me do it.  When I click "File > Print Booklet > Print Settings" then it shows the Print Dialog box with the Pages section, which includes the Sequence that normally would allow me to do Odd Pages or Even Pages, but it is disabled.  Why?  I can define Print Presets and I can choose Odd Pages, but when I choose that in the Preset box it does not show anything, everything is still disabled.

Anybody have any idea of why it is disabled?  Is it my printer driver?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 14, 2011 3:04 PM   in reply to PerksFlash

You are doing the right thing by printing to PDF and manually duplexing that.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 8:19 PM   in reply to PerksFlash

I too was very frustrated after upgrading to indesign cs5.5 and the latest LION OS on my new MAC.  I missed the odd/even page selection in the print dialog box within Indesign.  I tried about everything and found little of value in various forums.  But I did find a workable solution that makes since in terms of Apple's OS.

My objective is to "impose" my document and also end up with a file that I can just print again and again without "ripping" in the InDesign Print Booklet Dialog.

Here is the quick version of what to do.  I am not including every little step with pictures. =)  (I can if there is interest.)

1. create your document

2. Print Booklet

3. At the first dialog box, just ignore the printer in print preset (you will come back to this) and go to the 2-up perfect bound option and select 16 page signatures.  This will impose 2-up on 4 physical pieces of paper printed both sides.  So 16 of your document pages printed duplex on 4 physical sheets of paper.  It would be nice to then just select the printer and scaling, etc. and the option to print even pages, flip over and then print odd pages but that ain't an option.  If you have different needs, do the math and input the correct numbers before proceeding

4. Click on Print Settings  to pull up a second dialog box.

5. Select for Printer PostScript File (not your printer)  Also select for PPD your printer or Adobe PDF 9 if you have that installed.  Don't obsess on this just pick your Printer for the PPD.

6. Select 1 copy and All Pages while in the General Tab

7. Select the Setup Tab Here is where you put in the actual physical paper size that you are going to print your document on. Don't scale to fit.  You must do this.  If you feel the need, check out all the tabs and options but for now, you are just trying to get an output file.  You probably do want to select CENTER for page position in this same setup tab.

8. Hit OK whcih will return you to the original dialog.  Check when you return to be sure that at the top Printer is populated with PostScript File.  Click on Print and give the thing a name and a location to save at the resulting dialog.

Breathe as you are almost home.  You have sucessfully created a file that can be called up again and again without opening InDesign. (albeit, a postscript file but not a problem)

Now,

1. Double click on this new file (it will have a .ps extention) or just open it in your PREVIEW (apple supplied utility)   Preview is where you accomplish the even and odd page objective.

2. Preview will show you a short progress dialog while it rips this postscript file into a PDF.

3. Click on PRINT

4. Select your printer,page range, select the Paper Size (again not document size  but  the size sheet that you are printing the 2-up , imposed (booklet) document on. If not in the selection dialog, then use the custom option to create it (custom paper size) and give it a name.

5. Click on SCALE and insert 100% in place of the weird number that it will insert for you.  You will then see your document correctly displayed in the sidebar preview window.

6.  OK, now what you have been waiting for. Click on the box that says Preview (the active window) and select Paper Handling from the drop-down and select from Pages to Print the coveted odd or even page selection.  You can also do other things that should have been back at the InDesign print dialog but are now gone.  Explore. Enjoy.

7.  You will have to work out your own work flow about reverse or no reverse order and how to flip, etc. But you will be working with something predictable at this point.

8.  Since this has been ripped into a PDF , you might as well Click on the PDF button and click on save as a PDF at this point to save that postscript to PDF rip.   Also print using PREVIEW for the newly created PDF file next time as you will not have to learn a bunch of new dialogs and be frustrated all over again.

I am now back in business printing the book blocks for my handbound journals.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 14, 2011 10:54 PM   in reply to mckinney3

Just be aware that this is a risky workflow, and you may have problems, especially with transparency and color management, if you are converting Postscript to PDF, especially if you are using Preview.app to do so.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 1:41 AM   in reply to PerksFlash

PerksFlash wrote:

Why does this article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/6.0/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001 ea8cb3f-704ba.html claim at the end that you can print booklet with just the odd pages?

I would say that's a documentation error in the help file. It may be a holdover from a previous version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 7:13 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

This is the only way I have found to accomplish the odd/even printing with Lion.  I could find no other work-a-round for the absence of the feature in InDesign on Lion.  I could not find a odd/even option by taking the file to Adobe Acrobat.  The only file output option seems to be the .ps option from InDesign.

I am open to hearing about a better work flow to accomplish the two objectives:

1.     A stand alone "imposed file" from the InDesign document

2.     The ability to print odd/even pages from a document.

Please describe the work flow that it is less risky.

Thank you in advance for your help,

dan

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 15, 2011 7:25 AM   in reply to mckinney3

Well, the "right" solution is to use imposition software that manipulates a PDF and produces a PDF.

I am not an expert in this space, but I understand many people are happy with Quite Imposing.

But there are also free alternatives, like http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/Tools/pdf/Impose.html,

http://podofo.sourceforge.net/about.html, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 7:36 AM   in reply to mckinney3

OK.  I can successfully use Adobe Distiller to open the postscript file and convert to pdf instead of using Preview.  Is that better?

I can't use InDesign to Export the file asaa PDF as the file is not "imposed" at that point by Print Booklet option.  I see no way to get a file out of Print Booklet except the PostScript and as previously stated I cant print odd/even from InDesign.

If I use Adobe Acrobat to Print (instead of Preview) I cannot get the document to print correctly on the paper as I have to use the page set up option which is not really supported within the Acrobat dialog.

Again, the only solution I found for printing odd/even AND corretly placing on page is using Preview.

All help welcome!

dan

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 15, 2011 7:40 AM   in reply to mckinney3

OK.  I can successfully use Adobe Distiller to open the postscript file and convert to pdf instead of using Preview.  Is that better?

Only by such a small amount it was hardly worth mentioning.

Don't get me wrong, if this workflow works for you and you find it doesn't damage your documents, it is probably not worth losing sleep over. But it is a workflow that's known to be problematic.

I can't use InDesign to Export the file asaa PDF as the file is not "imposed" at that point by Print Booklet option.  I see no way to get a file out of Print Booklet except the PostScript and as previously stated I cant print odd/even from InDesign.

You are supposed to use the Bookletting function of your imposition tool and not use InDesign's Print Booklet feature at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 7:41 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

OK, then the work flow would be to jsut use inDesign to export the non-imposed document to a PDF, then use 3rd party software to impose to a pdf for printing without all the hoop-jumping with Lion's limited tool set?

dan

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 15, 2011 7:53 AM   in reply to mckinney3

Correct!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 6:06 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Whoa!  Quite Imposing comes with a $475 price tag!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 2:02 AM   in reply to mckinney3

There are some scripts that you can run in ID for imposisition, too. My favorites are from Dave Saunders and they work fine for simple 2-up saddle-stitch without creep. If there are no objects crossing the spine you can use http://pdsassoc.com/downloads/Buildbooklet.zip and if there are cross-spine elements you can try Dave's CS3 Booklet Script

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 8:02 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thank you for the Build Book LInk!  I'll Chedck it out. 

Regaardless, I am now stuck with trying to get my HP CP 3505 color laser printer to behave nicely with Adobe Acrobat 10.0.0 on OSX 10.7.2.  I'll repost this dilemma properly on another site but trying to get documents to center properly on custom paper sie is maddening.  Once I get a proper work flow in place and create my imposed PDF's from Indesign I am struggling with printing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points