Skip navigation
twistedgenesis
Currently Being Moderated

How do I make this effect better?  And some other good effects.

Dec 14, 2011 7:56 PM

Tags: #help #effects #sound #distortion #radio #waves

Okay I just put out a new video in which I tried to create an effect of audio waves distorting the air.  I used this process.  base clip, copy clip, new solid, generate radio waves on solid and set color to black, set track matte alpha on duplicate clip, added distort-bulge to duplicate clip.  I will post the video so you can see what it turned out looking like.  My question is what could I do to make this effect look better, and what other effects could I use for this type of clip?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 15, 2011 12:17 AM   in reply to twistedgenesis

This is a forum, not a live chat. People do sleep occasionally and you cannot expect answers within half an hour. With regards to your clip, I wouldn't use the waves as a matte, but rather as a displacement map. Blur them slightly in your pre-comp, use the displacement map effect on your footage referencing the waves as an input, dial in suitable values. That doesn't mean you couldn't use it as a matte, also, but a little experimentation is required. And if you don't mind: Go a little more subtly on your effects. Rather than overcranking your colors on the effects, colkor correct the base footage to improve contrast, e.g. desaturate the colors in the floor and furniture or change the boy's red Tee to a less similar color from your lightning and light beams. It's all about luring the eye into seeing what you want it to see...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2011 1:45 AM   in reply to twistedgenesis

I doubt you will get people throwing you ideas. After all, experimenting on your own is half the fun. Additionally, nobody will give away their best kept secrets that easily. Essentailyl you are also asking the wrong question: The question is not whether you can use and create 1000 different effects, but rather whether you can develop your own visual and artistic style. In the end, it doesn't matter whether you fry people with lightnings or laser beams, it matters that the execution of the effects is spot on and you have some work ahead of you there. As I already wrote, practice color correction to improve your results. Use the same effects in different scenarios and use variations of them, then learn how to refine them, e.g. in case of your lasers by adding smoke, debris, particles or again using color correction methods to give the illusion of charred trees, furniture or burn marks on the walls....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points