Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to setup Xcode 4.2 for indesign plugin development

Dec 15, 2011 5:18 AM

Tags: #indesign #plug-in #xcode #dollyxs

Hi all,

i am trying to add an indesign project template to xcode 4.2. I read and try almost all and nothing is working for me. I was trying to go step by step as getting started pdf from adobe shows, but its targeted for xcode 3.x, so any luck here... I am not able to sucessfuly run even dollyxs from terminal, it just generate empty txt file. Could anyone tell me please or shows link how to add indesign template to xcode 4.2???

thanks in advice

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 16, 2011 5:02 AM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

Hi, every sdk has its C++ IDE requirements, see the porting-guide.pdf. For cs5.5 sdk the requirements are:

On Windows®, the required C++ development environment is now Visual Studio 2008 with Service Pack 1 and Microsoft® Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher.

On Mac OS®, the required C++ development environment is XCode 3.1.3 and Mac OS X 10.5.x.

Everything works out of the box with the requiered environment and the only tip you can get in this forum is to fix the requierements first.

//A

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 5:22 AM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

Sorry about that, but you will need XCode 3 to compile plug-ins. Search the web for tutorials on how to install XC3 on Lion, or -- probably the best way -- buy Snow Leopard, reinstall your MacBook and install XC3 there. If you need Lion, just upgrade from Snow Leopard. XC3 will continue working on Lion then.

//A

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 16, 2011 11:24 PM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

You can install XCode 3 under Lion, it's easy.

See http://anatomicwax.tumblr.com/post/8064949186/installing-xcode-3-2-6-o n-lion-redux

but basically just:

export COMMAND_LINE_INSTALL=1

open "/Volumes/Xcode and iOS SDK/Xcode and iOS SDK.mpkg"

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

Please check if the XXXNoStrip.cpp that has the definition of this method is included in the target that you are trying to build, or in fact if the file has been added to the project or not.

This seems to be a linker error caused because the linker is not able to find the definition of the method "DontDeadStrip". Add the file to the target you are building and hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Manan Joshi

- Efficient InDesign Solutions -

MetaDesign Solutions

http://metadesignsolutions.com/services/indesign-development.php

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 3:40 AM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

Hi Ondrej,

i am trying to create custom plugin for Indesign . i downloaded the sample projects and configured x code .i am able to complie and run the sample plugin project but i found no result/output in indesign      application . i am just helpless, can you help me

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Ondrej Vyhlidal

Hi Ondrej,

Thanks for your reply ,

i came across one more issue that  ****.sdk.InDesignPlugin cannot  load. It requires debug version of indesign.

any advice Please?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Feb 15, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to suren_tringer

Suren, you really should start your own thread rather than posting in old threads.

Debug builds of plugins can only run in the debug build of InDesign, which is politically challenging to obtain. If you do not have it, you must use the release build of your plugin.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 10:18 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Hi Ondrej, john

Thanks for reply,

i have created new thread in the name of how to create relese build of custom plugin

help me over there

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points