Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Hit Archive, and - POOF ! - gone forever...

Dec 16, 2011 6:39 AM

During my courses and workshops I notice that many users are confused by the "Archive" button in the overview of editions, both in the 'real' apps as well as in the Adobe Content Viewer on their tablet. "Archive" suggests a safe action to store editions you don't want to keep on your iPad anymore, but might want to fetch it again sometime. The prompt upon hitting the button even states that you can always download it again. But this is not true. Folio's which have been deleted from the server will not reappear, and can not be downloaded anymore. So they're gone, forever...

This is clearly a three-fold false interface. The wording is wrong, the prompt is misleading, and the action is irreversible. How could a user have known that an edition is revoked ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 16, 2011 6:47 AM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Definetly wrong naming.

But let's say the normal publisher case is that the November edition is

still on the server and you can download again.

In the generic content viewer: misleading.

(mobil gesendet)

Am 16.12.2011 15:37 schrieb "Peter Villevoye" <forums@adobe.com>:

Hit Archive, and - POOF ! - gone forever...  created by Peter Villevoye<http://forums.adobe.com/people/Peter+Villevoye>in

Digital Publishing Suite - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4088859#4088859>

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 6:57 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Proposal: the Content Viewer makes a complete libary check each time the viewer or library gets in focus. Then you can change the name to "Archive" or "Delete" depending on it's availability on the server.

That would be perfect, isn't it?

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 1:49 AM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Adobe is checking the server every time you go to the library so they know

about the status of the folios...

..also some publishers (like WEEKEND magazin) delete old folios from their

servers because they want to keep their kiosk fresh (or save download

costs)...

if a user hits "archive" on a deleted folio — boom, gone forever.

the viewer knows about the status of every folio, so the button should say

"Archive" on folios that are still on the server and can be re-downloaded

"Delelte" on folios that will be away forever, gone, poof, digitaly killed.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Back in the early days of DPS, the Archive button was named Delete. In custom viewers, Delete made customers fear that they would permanently lose an issue they purchased. Changing Delete to Archive makes perfect sense for custom viewers. For example, if you subscribe to The New Yorker and you don't want your iPad to be filled with 2011 issues, the Archive button accurately reflects what happens. You can archive a folio and download it again later. Where the Archive button doesn't always make sense is in the Content Viewer. The button says "Archive" next to a downloaded folio even if the folio has been deleted from the server. Ideally, the button should change from Archive to Delete when the folio is deleted from the server. You can log a feature request at www.adobe.com/go/wish.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:39 PM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Has anyone found a way to retrieve a Folio that they archived in Content Viewer? I tried unsharing and resharing the Folio, but I just never get the option of downloading it again—and I really need this back!

I just tried recreating the entire Folio, and it still won't show up on my iPad!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points