Skip navigation
skearney82
Currently Being Moderated

Rendering previous images in a new CMS workflow

Dec 17, 2011 3:26 AM

As an alternative process photographer, I have never bothered much with monitor calibration. However, with today's instruments being as inexpensive as they are now, I see no reason not to.

However, I am concerned that by doing so all of my, pre-color managed "correct" images will appear  different and "incorrect" on a properly calibrated monitor.

Is there any way to use the old monitor profile to convert my catalog of images to render as they had before the monitor was properly calibrated?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2011 9:14 AM   in reply to skearney82

Hmmm, not as easy as it sounds, but it should be possible at least with flattened files. It seems to me you could create an action to:

1. Convert the file to a Smart Object. This is necessary to "wrap" and protect the original, so that clipped (out of gamut) colors can be regained, and also to minimize the degradation from multiple conversions.

2. Convert from original document space to the old monitor profile. You'll want to change the RGB numbers in the original file, and the change should be equal to the difference between new and old monitor profile. But you can't do that directly in the original color space because the numbers will have a different meaning there.

3. Assign the new monitor profile. This will change the appearance to what it should be.

4. Convert back to the original document space.

5. Rasterize the Smart Object.

No guarantees and I may have missed something or messed up the sequence. I'd recommend saving duplicates until you're confident that it works. Then you can run the action in a batch or use the Image Processor.

EDITED because I see no way to do this with layered files (adjustment layers are color space specific).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2011 4:07 AM   in reply to twenty_one

I managed to somehow test this by using an obviously wrong profile for one monitor. It seems to work. And even if you end up with a set of flattened files you at least have a reference to correct the originals to.

And of course the obvious point: no matter how alternative your process is you'll always be better off with full color management. Simply out of curiosity I keep looking for scenarios that could justify a non-color managed workflow, but it's shot down in every case. It just works.

Just so we're clear on how Photoshop uses the monitor profile, it's pretty simple: the document profile is converted to the monitor profile on the fly and sent to the display. If the monitor profile is not an accurate description of the actual monitor, it will look wrong.

The calibration software however will do two things: first it will calibrate the monitor to a set of basic parameters (white point, gamma, neutral color balance). Then it will make the profile (the description) of the monitor in its calibrated state. So you won't get a perfect match between Photoshop and apps that are not fully color managed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points