Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why do rendered files NOT stay rendered after being saved?

Dec 19, 2011 6:51 PM

Tags: #a #after #files #in #project #saved #rendered #stay #don't #being

I have elements 9,  and whenever a finish and save a project,  when I call it up to view again or to make a dvd or want to upload it somehere,

I have to re render the finished project again??  Why do the files NOT stay rendered...Is the a way to fix this annoyance??..

Running Snow Leopard on a mac book pro...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2011 7:02 PM   in reply to Whackyzacky

Welcome to the forum.

Where have you directed your Scratch Disks? Is it an external, or networked drive?

As for the Render files, they are used just for the ultimate playback, and are not required for authoring a DVD. This ARTICLE will give you more info.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 4:47 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

This was a problem in both versions 8 and 9, Whacky.

It's been fixed in version 10.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 12:48 PM   in reply to Whackyzacky

Sorry, I can't comment on the state of American business. But I do know that it's fixed in version 10.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 2:30 PM   in reply to Whackyzacky

Not funny, whacky!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:39 PM   in reply to Whackyzacky

I have the same problem. It is very annoying. Any more info?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to nhlpat21

Just to rule out a few of the "usual suspects" first, do you have any networked, or external HDD's, that figure into your setup, and might be used, also, for PrE's Scratch Disks?

Are you also using PrE 8, or 9?

Thanks for that info, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Pre9. Nothing is extenal, all video files are from a folder on my desktop. Some files stay rendered for some reason. Scratch disks say "same as project".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to nhlpat21

OK, this is but a test. The Desktop folder is a very special folder, and has special properties. It is great for some things, like Desktop Shortcuts, but not so good for others, like Scratch Disks in PrE, or Asset files for PrE Projects. PrE has difficulties with the Desktop folder, so let's try a different setup.

Without knowing your complete I/O setup, and the number of HDD's that you have available, we will just assume that you only have a single, physical HDD, C:\. Do a test Project, and locate it onto C:\, in a folder with the Project's name. Let's choose "Test_Project," for this. Go to Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks, and set the location to be Same As Project, which will be located in sub-folders below the Test_Project root folder.

Now, Import some Assets into that Test Project, and drag them to the Timeline - no order, etc. necessary, as we are only testing things. Go to the first Asset, and add an Effect from the Effect Tab. Does not matter which Effect you choose, as all we want to do, is make sure that the Clip needs to be Rendered (red line above it) for smoothest playback. Now, we have at least one red line. Render, to turn that red line green, and create the Render files in the Scratch Disks sub-folder. Save at this point.

Close that test Project, and close PrE. Have a cup of coffee (decaf recommended here). Now, launch PrE, and Open that test Project. Is that Clip still Rendered?

Please report the results of your test.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to Whackyzacky

Im on a MacBook Pro so i tried to do the same thing.

I created a seperate folder in the movies section of my (only) hard drive. I created a new project to that folder and switched evrything to "same as project". i took a clip, time lapsed it to 250%. Then i rendered, saved, and quit. I opened the test project and the rendered file is still rendered! Does that mean i have to start all over?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to nhlpat21

OK, if you are on a Mac, then you should be using PrE 10, and not PrE 8, or 9. The OP was on PrE 9, and the glitch was supposed to have been fixed with PrE 10.

I have to admit that I do not know how the Desktop folder works on a Mac OS, and whether it is even similar to that on a PC.

As the thread was relative to PrE 9, I assumed that you were on a PC, as PrE was not ported for the Mac, until PrE 10.

Not sure if my test will apply in any way, as you are on a Mac.

Sorry about that confusion.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to Whackyzacky

In this case, nhlpat21 has PrE 10, and seems to be having the same issue, or similar, with PrE 10.

That can be a big problem, when piggy-backing onto a thread, where nothing is the same.

Not sure what the course of action with a Mac, and PrE 10 would be, but will let the Mac-users here sort that out, as I am a PC-only guy.

Good luck to everyone,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yikes i didn't mean to cause confusion or anything, i just searched so i didn't create a new thread. Very sorry. I am using Pre9 however and it did say mac os on the box.

Sorry again

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:25 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Version 9 was also Mac compatible, Bill. And that rendering issue is on the Mac version too.

But, as you've said, it's fixed in version 10.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:26 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Oops, my bad. I thought that PrE 10 was the first dual-platform version.

Thanks for that info. Gotta' keep current better.

Sorry for my confusion.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

You are correct, as per usual, and this link: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/201009/092110A dobePEPE9.html

supports your assertions. Again, a big mea culpa on my part.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points