Skip navigation

Future of Flash Builder

Dec 20, 2011 11:09 AM

Latest reply: David Lance, Apr 20, 2012 1:22 PM
Replies 1 2 3 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to karkara+

> Adobe is killing the best software internet had since today. It was better to sell it back to Macromedia!

Macromedia no longer exists. It was bought by Adobe years ago.

Adobe made a strategic business decision to refocus the Flash Player on gaming and premium video. A Flash Builder that compiles ActionScript is considered relevant to that market, but MXML isn't, and the Flex framework isn't, and Design View isn't. I'm sure these were not easy decisions for the executives who made them, but they're paid to do what they think will position the company for long-term success.

Gordon Smith, Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to GordonSmith

@GordonSmith,

I agree. Looking at the coming 3.2 AIR release is clear where Adobe is putting its steak. Is Adobe planning to release a framework for game developers? With the raising of iOS and Android as game platforms that would be great. Adobe also seems looking at the TV environment as platform to embed AIR. They are planning challenge with MS XBOX and Sony Play Station? This is not a joke, the same game working on mobile devices, desktops (and browsers) and TV! Really great!

On the other hand, I see that Adobe can throw the Design View to trash without problems. Regarding the MXML and Flex framework.... sure they are not relevant to the market but they are still very useful stuff for gaming developers. Many times, game applications require user input data, registration and things which can easily done by using libraries like MXML and packaged with the game. Sure that Adobe will care (from the distance) Flex/MXML works on AIR. Of course, Adobe does not need a big collection of coolest controls, but a minimum subset (likely current) yes.

Pablo.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to pbeltranl

I forgot to say working as AIR product manager is the most exciting job at the past, present and coming years.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:59 PM   in reply to pbeltranl

> Is Adobe planning to release a framework for game developers?

I don't think we have current plans to do this. There seem to be a number of game frameworks already in use and developers are used to choosing whichever they like or whichever meets their needs.

> They are planning challenge with MS XBOX and Sony Play Station?

Adobe sees Flash Player becoming "The Console of the Web", delivering high-performance, high-quality 2D and 3D games through the browser on desktops and through AIR on mobile devices. The Alchemy compiler compiles C++ code to ActionScript that runs at near-native speeds in Flash Player, so we can deliver even C++ games.

- Gordon Smith, Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to SapphireSteel

What about us Mac Developers, is there such a thing as a third party designer for Macs?

I can't see creating some complicated UIs with out design mode, It reminds me of doing an interface back in the dos erra.

Rich

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to GordonSmith

only thing i used in FB is profiler. if you are not concentrate on flex with FB. please move profiler to Apache.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to daslicht

It's my understanding that IntelliJ will be picking up the slack on design view.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points