Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Possible to change destination location for multiple clips?

Dec 21, 2011 5:41 AM

I've become a big fan of Adobe Media Encoder, it's making short work of a lot of transcoding duties that would have been a pain with other applications.

Not sure if this is a bug or just a missing feature, but is it possible to select a group of clips from the queue and change their destination location?  I can change the format and preset of a group of selected clips from the queue but for some reason I can't change the output location.

Any tips?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2011 9:01 AM   in reply to Tayedrummer

You're not missing anything. AME does not provide a way to change the output path for multiple items--yet. It's high on our list of requested features. And those of us who test AME for a living are pushing as hard as we can for it--not only on behalf of our customers but also because it's something that we want to do _frequently_.

I'll add a vote for you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to Tayedrummer

i totally agree with paul and just can't believe it that AMe doesn't have this function yet!!!?!?!?!? This is sth totally relevant and apple's Compressor can do it since ever!!! so please get this function added asap!

cheers, matthias

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Hi Mark,

when is the option to be able to set an output path to multiple clips in AME gonna be ready? Really need it!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to Tayedrummer

hi Paul,

have you heard anything new about the mentioned problem?

Still having screwed sleeping patterns?

I might have a workaround for you...

In AME you can set up so called "watch folders". You can tell AME what to do when a file/multiple files lands in the specific folder - what codec and which folder to save.

As i assume, you have one file that has to be encoded to different formats etc. What you could try is to have one main folder with the final clip then create as many folders you need outputs of your clip and make them watch folders with the specific export settings.

Then create an alias of the main file into each of the "watch folders". I'm not quite sure if AME will take the alias and then render the main file. If it doesn't work and you have the time/patience you could copy the main file into the different folders and delete them afterwards.

That could give you a nice calm sleeping pattern :-).

cheers,

Matthias

btw: here some tips on creating an alias on a mac:

Creating an alias

You have several options for creating an alias:

• Drag and drop: Click the item you wish to alias and hold down the mouse button. Then, while holding down the Command and Option keys, drag the item to where you want the alias to appear. Instead of moving the original item, this will create an alias at the new location.

• Contextual menus: Hold down the Ctrl key and click the item you wish to alias. From the contextual menu, select Make Alias. The new alias will appear next to the original.

• Keystroke: Select the item you wish to alias, and press Command-l (the lowercase L). The new alias will appear next to its original.

• File menu: Select the item, and then from the File menu, select Make Alias. A new alias icon will appear next to the original.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to rowleystudios

Hi rowleystudios,

We can't comment on when this feature will be available but here is a workaround you can use right now:

Go to Edit menu -> Preferences... -> Check "Specify output file destination" -> browse to the folder you wish to output files to -> OK

Now every new source you import will go into that folder by default.

Another workaround is using Watch Folders as you mentioned.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 12:48 AM   in reply to Dima Tikhonov

so this feature will be coming it's only a question of time, right?

What do you suppose or think that it will take to be done? Shouldn't be to difficult, should it?

thanks anyway for the quick reply!

cheers,

matthias

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 1:58 AM   in reply to Tayedrummer

wow that really is unsatisfying that it's not in cs6.

i hope they will get it in there soon.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Tayedrummer

I asked this already several sunsets ago. My suggestion was to copy some code from Audition, which has already a sophisticated structure, eg. prae- and post-fix for file names.

hb

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points