Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Undoing a precomp

Dec 21, 2011 12:31 PM

I'm using Premiere Pro to edit a proect and am doing a LOT of AE work to it (and I'm somewhat new to AE, so pardon my stupidity if this is obvious). When I'm working on the Premiere Pro timeline and chose to "replace with AE composition," all of the layers I'm working with in Premiere open in AE already precomposed. For the most part, this isn't a big deal but if I need to motion track a clip AE won't allow me to do that to the precomp - and when I double-click and open up the source comp, it's the entire take (sometimes very long - and therefore difficult to just copy and paste into my dynamically linked comp).

All I want is to be able to motion track a short clip ported over from Premiere Pro without having to go into the source clip. The easiset (hypothetical) way to do this would be to un-precompose the clip (which AE doesn't seem to be able to do) or not send individually-precomposed clips from Premiere in the first place. I hope all this makes sense - but if anyone knows how I can avoid the annoying step of having to leave the media I've set up in Premiere Pro and messing with raw footage again, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2011 12:55 PM   in reply to Neptunesalad1

In After Effects select the Track Motion work area or open up the Tracker panel by going to Window>Tracker. Open up the composition that contains the footage that you want to track. In the tracker Panel Select Pre-comp from the Motion Source. In the timeline select the Pre-comp layer. Track motion.

There you go. It wouldn't be any easier if you'd read the directions.

Screen Shot 2011-12-21 at 12.51.12 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 1:54 PM   in reply to Neptunesalad1

I'm not sure your workflow is right. If you select a shot or multiple shots in Premiere Pro then right click and select Replace with After Effects Composition, AE should open up and you should get a new composition in AE. With that composition open you should see the assets from premiere including the shot that you want to track. You should then be ablt to select that in the motion source and track away. I just tried it and it works just fine for me.  Give me 10 min and I'll show you a movie.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 3:48 PM   in reply to Neptunesalad1

Couple of things. I'd love to see your entire AE work area and a flow chart. I've never seen a Pre-comp that I couldn't select as a track.

Here's the video. It takes about 25 seconds to get ready to track a shot in AE.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 4:40 PM   in reply to Neptunesalad1

There are no preferences for that. Post the AE project without footage and I'll take a look.

Are you getting the footage in AE? Have you done this before? Have you tried trashing your preferences? Have you run the latest Adobe Updates?

I've never had a problem with this that wasn't user error.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 11:35 PM   in reply to Neptunesalad1

I took a look at your project and it's a bit confusing because you've organized a bunch of the footage items in folders. The only way you can get dynamic link to put a pre-comp in an AE project is to have a nested sequence in Premiere. IOW, you add a sequence or timeline to another timeline in Premiere and then convert that sequence to an AE composition. If that's the case, you should still be able to track it. Just to make sure we should see a screenshot of your PPro project.

I did find an easy way to track your pre-comp though. Just pre-compose it, moving all attributes, and all is well.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 11:16 AM   in reply to Neptunesalad1

What happens start with AE closed and you take just that timeline and select say the fourth Bad Guesser TK4  video clip and choose replace with after Effects composition?

After Effects should open and ask you to save the file. Then the assets should load. You should end up with a AE project with a single source footage file for Bad Guesser TK4 and a comp with a single layer. That layer should be footage and not a pre-comp. If it's a pre-comp then I'd like to know what the source of the video clip is. It looks like you may have double system sound because you have a folder called Synched Tracks. If that is true, then how did you sync the tracks. If that's the case, selecting only the video assets you want to work in AE may solve the problem.

Also, did you try just pre-composing the tracks you can't track. That should work for you just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 1:02 PM   in reply to Neptunesalad1

I think the double system is your problem. If you just select the pre-composed layer you want to track and precomp it again moving all attributes to the new composition, you should be able to track and nothing else should change.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 5:33 PM   in reply to Neptunesalad1

If you couldn't track it it is because you missed moving all elements to a new composition. If that still doesn't work then I'd suggest a reinstall of your Suite and running the updates again. You should be able to track anything that you precompose.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points