• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 11 Update for Windows Vista

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have automatic updates set up on my HP, which runs Windows Vista.  When the auto-update came up, my McAfee anti-spyware also came up, asking if I wanted to run it [because it wasn't sure about it, I guess].

I said yes, clicked yes for the update (I believe it's for Flash Player 11) and as soon as it finished installation, McAfee told me it had found & deleted a trojan.

And then something for "Microsoft Vista Antispyware 2012" came up, which I know is an actual virus.

Has anyone else had this problem on a PC? Was it coincidence that it happened with the Flash update or was it attached to Flash?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When posting, please provide:

• Operating system version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • Web browser and version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • The Flash Player version 
  • Give us a brief explanation of the problem, please include any information you feel is important

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2011 Dec 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I'm sorry.

Browser: Mozilla Firefox 8.0 (32-bit)

Flash Player  Version: Adobe Flash Player 11 Active X (64-bit)

The fake "Vista Antispyware" disallows you from opening .exe files that are either 32-bit or, in this case, 64-bit (it was more advanced than the last time I had it). Using malwarebytes Anti-Malware (64-bit) program is able to eliminate it, but I couldn't open this time because the virus was 64-bit and not 32-bit.

Looking at the Adobe site, it looks like Flash Player 11 auto-update was incompatible with Vista. Which doesn't explain where the virus came from or why McAfee acted up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the Adobe site, it looks like Flash Player 11 auto-update was incompatible with Vista. Which doesn't explain where the virus came from or why McAfee acted up.

Yes, the 64-bit installer only works with Windows 7.

The 64-bit Active X Flash Player needs to be removed and the 32-bit Flash Player for other browsers installed.

Windows 64-bit: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash _player_64bit.exe

Windows 32-bit  Flash Player for other browsers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SW_Pants wrote:

Browser: Mozilla Firefox 8.0 (32-bit)

I'd advise you to update Firefox as well if you're still using version 8.0 Here are the Release Notes for the latest version which is 9.0.1: http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html#firefox9

Download from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 24, 2011 Dec 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines